Is This Taking Bootleging To The Xtreme

nah, the guy is doing it right....mucho kudos to his single-mindedness....I admire people like this as they make me appear outwardly normal...big respect.

interesting article which was sympathetically written.

the only downside was that I was 2 years late for the competition at the foot of the article...probably about right for my time-keeping!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The classical lookalike repros he's been churning out only sell for about a third of their original counterparts.  The Johanna Martzy 3 LP set on Columbia mentioned here sells for about £2,000 - £,2,500 on original, yet the asking price for the reissue is £900 (not £300 as mentioned in the feature).  Don't see much point - classical collectors and audiophiles would rather pay top money for Mint or Excellent originals.

Then again, he's not the first person to do this.  Lexington Records of Japan have been issuing similar repros of rare classical LPs since the mid-90s, including the Martzy 3 LP set he's put out here - only they did it first.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Interesting article.  I can remember the big move away from valve technology to solid state components.  The only people who kept making valves were the Soviets, as they weren't affected by electromagnetic pulses.  Still used in a lot of high end hi-fi amps because of the warmer sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting article.  I can remember the big move away from valve technology to solid state components.  The only people who kept making valves were the Soviets, as they weren't affected by electromagnetic pulses.  Still used in a lot of high end hi-fi amps because of the warmer sound.

Yes.... and tube amps are wicked heavy. I was in a band (bass) and the guitar player insisted on playing out with a tube amp - but he was too frail to lift it! Guess who had to carry his gear in and out of gigs?

Social source share

is this taking bootleging to the xtreme or is this guy doing it right

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/may/25/pete-hutchison-interview-new-vinyl-recording

He's not bootlegging - or did I miss something? The article states...

His label's distributor was EMI, which held the rights to a formidable collection of classical recordings. Through his contacts there, Hutchison got permission to remake 80 celebrated recordings from the so-called "golden era" 1950s and 60s and reissue them himself, via his new label the Electric Recording Company.
Social source share

And then his presses up Lou Pride, Salvadors, Eddie Parker etc as 1000 box sets for £500 each; ...........and all hell breaks out on here! 

Its not OVO......, suddenly a bootlegger, a thoroughly horrid person etc.

Perfect labels, perfect records manufactured in the original way, original materials, records with exact weight and thickness, identical run in and run out.  

If he entered exact deadwax etching JM and TB may have a problem identifying originals.

The fun and games start all over again.  :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

He's not a bootlegger, but £2.5k or whatever, even perfectly pressed on solid gold, a reissue is still just a reissue. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

How can they be bootlegs ? When permission was  given for the reproductions

Steve

Hi Steve

I was referring to the vitriol sometimes unleashed when someone reissues a soul record, the name calling etc (justified or not).  

The chappie sounds like a craftsman of the old order and I would have no problem with him applying his skills to recreate rare soul records in the traditional manner. :hatsoff2:

I suspect it may piss a few off on here though, especially serious collectors with original issues which may have inferior sound quality to the reissue.  :wicked:

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Gogs

Legit reissue companies should start taking legal action against folks who call them bootleggers.

As should companies who's records are being boot-legged.

Social source share

Before I opened the link I had a feeling this guy would look as he did. 

A cross between a subject librarian & an extra from Scooby-doo

I respect the guy and far from being a bootlegger, he's a preservationist. 

Before I started reading, I looked at the pic and thought it was Rick Wakeman.

Social source share

Guest Gogs

I agree that people that are legitimately re-issuing records should not be put in beside the boot-leggers, but sometimes it is so hard to tell the difference. 

Social source share

Didn't even know classical records fetched big money, I've got a stack 30 ish , Mozart to Gershwin that my music teacher gave me to listen to in 81 for my music o level, said I could have them, I've never listened to them since or even looked at them. I think a night doing a bit of investigating is in order, might have something valuable, who knows?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!