Holy Grail- 45- "angel Baby" - Garland Green - Mca -Australian Issue

Guest stevie frear

Guest stevie frear

-post-23350-0-22393800-1431447987_thumb.j

Only three known copys exsist ! Now here's the heads up on it...

I've had my copy for around twenty year always knew it was something special and a thing of beauty besides being a choice soul record. So recently and over the past year or so posted photo on FB always liked by some of the serious collectors/dj's alike and had quite a few snapping at my heals to sell them it,imeadiatly dismissed not for sale !

Now then just this week i decided to investigate the said 45.

So now it was up to me to track down aussie  collector Frank Driscoll and see what else i can uncover,tuck me 2 mins in all and i was chatting.....

Me - Hi Frank,Just wondering about the heads up on the Garland Green - Angel Baby 45, Just read up Anoraks Corner Exactly how rare is it. Sorry about poor pic quality just a snap with the phone can scan it at a later date if require.
Thanks in advance

Frank - It's a rare record, yours is only the third copy I know of 100% to exist, I'm sure there are more but not too many. It's very hard to put a value on though, get a couple of Aussie label collectors after it and it could fly. It was pressed in Clayton, a Melbourne suburb, by Astor. The thing with Aussie releases is a lot of them are dog rare, it wasn't a country where soul was either played or bought much from what I can work out anyway. Rumour has it that every Friday afternoon the plastic recyclers would call into Astor and clear the shelves of dead stock which was of course melted down! I've been collecting Aussie 45's since 1980 and there are still quite a few I know were released but have never seen so there are plenty of very rare releases.

Me - Wow mate that story sounds a bit Frank Wilson to me its almost identical.

So Soulfolk history in the making with this very rare 45 and with only three copys known too exsist 100%, Be intresting to see what you think and what its really worth never mind top dealers offering peanuts or guessing what it will sell for, i put it to you what would YOU be prepered to offer too own this Holy grail "Angel"

Stevie (Mantis)

In all honesty how many of you even knew it exsisted ?

-post-23350-0-22393800-1431447987_thumb.j

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

It is only a holy grail item to someone who collects Australian releases surely?  Me, I'd be more than happy with the original US release for £10 or so.  I have no interest in foreign releases, never have, it has always been about the US release for me, unless something is not available from the US.

The LP surely is only £25/£30?  It's on discogs for that and I bet you could bag one for less on ebay. As for LP's, it's not just 45's where it is at for many. Lots of interest now in LP's and that interest is growing.  Besides the Garlnd Green Lp is simply fantastic.

I agree mate a valid point,but also there's them that like to collect the rarer items simply because of its rarity,and don't uk motown demos go for much more than us originals ! Horses for course's and its all good pal. Cheers pal :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Good luck with your search. The only rare Aussie 45,s I've owned where. Marcia Hines, gotta let go,and a Solomon king, beautiful day demo.

Steve

They exellent quality items nice thick vynal too like uk,Hope ya well pal not seen ya in age,s. Cheers :hatsoff2:

Social source share

its a nice piece to own,maybe a talking point at the decks,however,unless its a foreign only release of sorts, they dont command any more, or even less than its usa counterpart.

in terms of rarity..how about

tony middleton-paris blues canadian polydor

cajun hart-got to find a way french loma (w/bros)

willie hutch-love runs out canadian rca?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

its a nice piece to own,maybe a talking point at the decks,however,unless its a foreign only release of sorts, they dont command any more, or even less than its usa counterpart.

How many copies of each exsist ? Do you know

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Unfortunately Stevie if I were you I'd be thinking of a night in Blackpool rather than a Carribean cruise.

What a bizzare game this record scene is ! iI find it shocking that something like uk "POP"  sue lynn  pity  sells for 400 issue and 2 grand demo and a genuine SOUL  mega rarity is treated in this manner reallly don't make any sense to me personally, madness ! Not bothered about night in b'pool and i can go on a cruise anytime i like backing local  female  soul artists playing my saxophones so got it covered, Cheers :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

I agree mate a valid point,but also there's them that like to collect the rarer items simply because of its rarity,and don't uk motown demos go for much more than us originals ! Horses for course's and its all good pal. Cheers pal :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

45S have always gone for more than lps there taken from anyway well the collectable and indemand ones anyway,but its not about the lp its about the maga rare 45,

Social source share

Hi Steve. Wow, what selling technique you have, excellent, you must be knackered with all the typing tho'.

If you get no offers i may have several swaps to offer, i'll see what's kicking about.

Cheers Cobber

Neil :)

Social source share

They sure have Steve and will continue to do so but for me it is about American soul singers and groups and it is all about the US release.  Like I said I have no interest in label variants or oddities, I have never been intereted in UK releases by and large despite them looking good, especially the green or white demos with a large red A and often better quality vinyl.

Yes what you have is a rare one but these oddities don't always realise the money those in possession often expect. You Only have to look at the Bunky reissue of Just Like The Weather another ex pat found.  But like Frank says get a few Aussie label collectors or others interested in foreign releases and who knows what price it will command.

But these finds all add to the excitemnet of collecting rare soul and always make interesting reading and good luck with it.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

What a bizzare game this record scene is ! iI find it shocking that something like uk "POP"  sue lynn  pity  sells for 400 issue and 2 grand demo and a genuine SOUL  mega rarity is treated in this manner reallly don't make any sense to me personally, madness ! Not bothered about night in b'pool and i can go on a cruise anytime i like backing local  female  soul artists playing my saxophones so got it covered, Cheers :hatsoff2:

But you aren't taking in to account the availabiltiy of the US release like the majority do.  It isn't a mega rarity expect on this label, the Australian release.  I agree Sue Lynn is pop and IMO crap but the scene is largly nostalgia fed now and it is those records that are feeding the marKet.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seriously?  Never heard of it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

French Loma? That's a new one on me. None of the US Loma label tracks released in France came out on a French Loma. They were on WB.

And Cajun Hart? Got a scan?

I've never seen a Cajun Hart 'got to find a way' on a French Warner Bros. and Willie Hutch 'love runs out' on RCA is French and not Canadian.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Well I thought it was a good read Steve, enjoy the record.

Thank you pal, Glad too hear that :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Wtf? Private conversation?!! Don't you dare paste my private conversations from Facebook over the net, take it down Steve pls..

Malcolm

Right ya can sod off now ! lol

Social source share

Me - Wow mate that story sounds a bit Frank Wilson to me its almost identical.

So Soulfolk history in the making with this very rare 45 and with only three copys known too exsist 100%, Be intresting to see what you think and what its really worth never mind top dealers offering peanuts or guessing what it will sell for, i put it to you what would YOU be prepered to offer too own this Holy grail "Angel"

Stevie (Mantis)

In all honesty how many of you even knew it exsisted ?

Different ball game with lps...45s is always been where its at mate,Besides how many lps are they ? not saying lps are not great cause there's some fantastic lp only tracks ain't they ! Cheers :hatsoff2:

45S have always gone for more than lps there taken from anyway well the collectable and indemand ones anyway,but its not about the lp its about the maga rare 45,

Just put the bloody thing on Ebay or send it to John Manship to auction.

A.  You will find out what its worth.

B.   It will put the rest of us out of our misery.  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Publishing peoples personal messages is not allowed on this forum, it needs reporting to the moderators if the original poster won't delete it.  Just saying like.

Meanwhile, as regards value, it's only of any value to a collector of Australian 45's really, I had a New Zealand "Fife Piper" on purple Pye label, how many of those exist - well I didn't even know of another copy except the one I had - sold it for £40.

Social source share

They exellent quality items nice thick vynal too like uk,

And just to be clear what am i a price prick or prize prick ??? Now go pick up ya dummy :wave: lol

I'd suggest that you should maybe learn how to spell vinyl before picking others up on their English....

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

They sure have Steve and will continue to do so but for me it is about American soul singers and groups and it is all about the US release.  Like I said I have no interest in label variants or oddities, I have never been intereted in UK releases by and large despite them looking good, especially the green or white demos with a large red A and often better quality vinyl.

Yes what you have is a rare one but these oddities don't always realise the money those in possession often expect. You Only have to look at the Bunky reissue of Just Like The Weather another ex pat found.  But like Frank says get a few Aussie label collectors or others interested in foreign releases and who knows what price it will command.

But these finds all add to the excitemnet of collecting rare soul and always make interesting reading and good luck with it.

Thanks mate weather it be worth this or that it is intresting and exciting too me and sharing it. Some people would'nt

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

I'd suggest that you should maybe learn how to spell vinyl before picking others up on their English....

yup but at least you knew i meant Rekord ! lol

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

yup but at least you knew i meant Rekord ! lol, So no intrest in the record then just like butting in on conversations :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

lets all move on and drop the offtopic posts

:thumbsup:

Thank you mike thats exactly the point,Too much negativeness and not enough positiveness about the music/Record. Would suit me fine if you would remove anything not related to the "Angel" 45 tarr

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

I'll chime in if I may, as I am one of the crazy collectors who buys non-US/UK presses...well Japanese ones anyway! I often have to pay a premium above the rate of the equivalent US release in order to obtain a missing number...yes it is like stamp collecting but that's the obsessive completest collector that some of us are!

Been said previously, but agree that the only non-US/UK releases that fetch money are the ones that didn't appear on a US/UK 7", or are a foreign press of an expensive US/UK press. I have some corking Japanese presses of big Northern tunes, but receive little interest in them...they are merely novelties to most and I have no issue with that.

The markets for foreign presses are limited and mostly to those with an affinity to a specific country...and most folk generally don't pay huge price tags as they are living/have strong contacts in the country of the releases, so there is always the chance to find them cheap! A lack of price guides also helps, so on the whole things are realistic and affordable...and dare I say FUN...yes collecting can be FUN and not have to break the bank balance...it's great label collecting and gives one an "excuse" to own "cheap" tunes!

Of course there are always going to be a few oddball really rare ones (like the Garland Green in question) which are genuinely "rare", but they'll never shake the scene. A lot of foreign releases also have "small holes", so can sit alongside UK presses quite nicely for aesthetics alone...maybe this market angle may develop in the future?

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Well said and Thank you Flynny for your comments, intresting and educational one's are most welcome. :thumbsup:

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

The curiosity value of the record was certainly interesting enough, if you're into that sort of thing. What I found bizarre was the descent into abuse between the thread starter and the Aussie label collecting punter who wanted to buy it, amongst other things.

Hope that clarifies folks. Back to your on-topic musings!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!