Fine For Djing...?

If you risk buying blind (on-line, whatever) then you are trying your luck.

Buying from a stall/fair/venue the balls in your court.

You more than likely wouldn't play it on your nice deck and it wouldn't be fair to play it on others equipment

Social source share

I have a lovely (vinyl-wise) copy of the Limitations , I'm Lonely ..... on Bacone  , but whoever "uncovered" it way back when all but destroyed the labels ....  :dash2: 

Definitely in the "Fine for DJing" category ...  :thumbsup: 

Good point is that a Mr Weston let me have it dirt cheap on account of the paperwork .

( Thanks to Jumpin' Joan for introducing me to it at the 100 Club ...  :thumbsup:  )

Social source share

Some records don't sound so good when played at home but then sound fine on a decent, loud system. Some however do sound shocking!

True, we took some ruff ones to 2 separate venues before they opened to see what they sounded like, they actually sounded clear and strong but play them at home and they snap, crackle and pop.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just received from the States the most beat up copy of a 45 iv'e ever seen. Didn't pay much for the disc, it was the postage that stung me, the seller wanted $20 but said for some reason he couldn't provide a tracking number??? I said well i'm not paying $20 without some protection so he reduced it to $15. Anyway, soon as i opened it.... Effin Horrified, looks like it's been buried underground for 30 years. My issue is i bought this in good faith (via Discogs) as "Good condition"

Social source share

Good condition is laughable graded as g to be avoided its way down the ladder

M

M-

Ex

Vg++

Vg+

Vg

Vg-

G+

G

I wouldnt buy anything less than ex over here

Vg++ over there my experience is the americans are very honest with the conditions of records

a vg+ from craig moerer is usually a lot better than he rates

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just received from the States the most beat up copy of a 45 iv'e ever seen. Didn't pay much for the disc, it was the postage that stung me, the seller wanted $20 but said for some reason he couldn't provide a tracking number??? I said well i'm not paying $20 without some protection so he reduced it to $15. Anyway, soon as i opened it.... Effin Horrified, looks like it's been buried underground for 30 years. My issue is i bought this in good faith (via Discogs) as "Good condition"

You should know by now that good is basically f*****!

goldmine grading for good......why this description equates to good is beyond me.

• Good (G), Good Plus (G+)   Generally worth 10-15 percent of the Near Mint value. Good does not mean Bad! A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be put onto a turntable and will play through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise and scratches and visible groove wear (on a styrene record, the groove will be starting to turn white). 

A cover or sleeve will have seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine. Tape, writing, ring wear or other defects will start to overwhelm the object. 

It is a common item, you'll probably find another copy in better shape eventually. Pass it up. But, if it's something you have been seeking for years, and the price is right, get it...but keep looking to upgrade.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the real world 'Good' generally means 'of a high standard' - how people in record collecting business (Goldmine etc) can equate it to -

'A cover or sleeve will have seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine. Tape, writing, ring wear or other defects will start to overwhelm the object.'  -  

I'll never know!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You should know by now that good is basically f*****!

goldmine grading for good......why this description equates to good is beyond me.

• Good (G), Good Plus (G+)   Generally worth 10-15 percent of the Near Mint value. Good does not mean Bad! A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be put onto a turntable and will play through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise and scratches and visible groove wear (on a styrene record, the groove will be starting to turn white). 

A cover or sleeve will have seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine. Tape, writing, ring wear or other defects will start to overwhelm the object. 

It is a common item, you'll probably find another copy in better shape eventually. Pass it up. But, if it's something you have been seeking for years, and the price is right, get it...but keep looking to upgrade.

Oxford dictionary quote..... Good, having the right or required qualities, adequate, proper, expedient, commendable, worthy, MORALLY EXCELLENT. Sorry, but in my book good in this instant is Sh##e

• Helpful 1
Social source share

True, we took some ruff ones to 2 separate venues before they opened to see what they sounded like, they actually sounded clear and strong but play them at home and they snap, crackle and pop.

Only To Recap: On a HomeSystem It Sounds Bad - On A Venue System It Sounds Brilliant When It Is Downgraded To A Vg- Or G Record?

I Am A Collector Not a DJ - But Whats The Prob When You got a Great System At Home? Depends It On The Room You Got Aswell Or Whats The Thing? So, If You Got A Bigger Location To Play - VG-/G Records Always Play Fine!?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I've used the term "OK for DJing" a few times when selling.... but I always go into more detail rather than just leave it at that. In the majority of cases what it means is there are some light crackles on the intro (if it's a quiet one) but when the music kicks in the fidelity is excellent.

Social source share

Oxford dictionary quote..... Good, having the right or required qualities, adequate, proper, expedient, commendable, worthy, MORALLY EXCELLENT. Sorry, but in my book good in this instant is Sh##e

On the same hand, the Oxford Dictionary quote for FAIR (between GOOD and POOR): considerable but not outstanding; beautiful; just or appropriate!

Anyway, we've used the same grades for the same condition for nearly 40 years now, so why change something that isn't broken?

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've bought a few that state 'Ok for DJing' and classed as 'good' by the seller. I've given em some TLC (a right good clean) and they then look VG+ and play VG+, some though really have been shagged out and beyond help; its the luck of the draw.

If we had a styrene recycling plant, then the shagged out records could be melted down and repressed, the repressed record could then legitimately claim to be original vinyl.  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone putting that description and selling frankly should be shot

Damage to stylii at the very least to the promoters equipment

Records with this description wouldnt be records you would add to a collection as a collector

Theyll be fucked basically

Seems a lot of people do sell records in this state

Some people have more money than sense when buying them!!

depends entirely on how good your VG is and why the tune is rated VG.

some peoples VG+ on here would barely make my F grade. 

and you cant make assumptions about other people and what they do or dont want. thats just plain wrong.

plenty of people plump for lesser priced and lesser graded tunes to get more in their collection. and as a result actually like the line that its a djable quality

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've bought a few that state 'Ok for DJing' and classed as 'good' by the seller. I've given em some TLC (a right good clean) and they then look VG+ and play VG+, some though really have been shagged out and beyond help; its the luck of the draw.

If we had a styrene recycling plant, then the shagged out records could be melted down and repressed, the repressed record could then legitimately claim to be original vinyl.  :yes:

Vinyl was recycled and repressed, one of tne reasons you can get a hiss when the record is mint.  Its the oxygen introduced during the process. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone putting that description and selling frankly should be shot

Damage to stylii at the very least to the promoters equipment

Records with this description wouldnt be records you would add to a collection as a collector

Theyll be fucked basically

Seems a lot of people do sell records in this state

Some people have more money than sense when buying them!!

Bit harsh. Some might even say offensive.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, having read all of the above, the consensus of opinion seems to be "fine for DJing" = thrashed so does this mean that all the EX/M- records out there are in fact NOT "fine/ok for DJing" and that is why they are never advertised as such............just a thought..........I'll get me coat. :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

With my punter hat on, I certainly don't want to hear crackly / trashed records blasting out of a system - it reflects very poorly on the DJ…unless its the odd really rare thing as Chalky says - and by rare I mean a handful of copies, not multi-copy northern  oldies.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I like to hear that it`s a vinyl record, preferably analogue.....and mono so a few light crackles are ok. If you want perfect then buy a CD!

Too many constables on here with nothing to play with!  :)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

All these look either scruffy or long in the tooth but every one of them plays through brilliantly.

There`s always a market for them.

James Bounty - Prove Yourself a Lady > original Compass: £40.00

Luther Ingram - Exus Trek > original HIB west coast Vinyl issue: £120.00

The Cavaliers - Hold to my Baby > RCA black stocker: £40.00

Doni Burdick - Bari Track > Sound Impression: £60.00

Mickie Champion - What Good am I > Musette: £50.00

Alexander Patton - A Little Lovin` Sometimes > UK demo: £10.00 (Seller said it didn`t play, must have been deaf because it plays like a CD. Sold it a few years back to a member on here £200.00)

I could go on but off the top of my head...... :g: ....i`ve never been a collector so I don`t care less if they`re mint or trashed as long as they are...... "Fine for DJing" And after more than 40 years i`ve never once had a problem with equipment.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Have to admit to having used this term in sales recently but assumed it was a sort of seller's warranty that the 45 would play through ok with no real issues if you wanted it to DJ with.  :elvis: 

Text from site grading guidelines :-

VG+ A few more marks or light scuffs than a VG++ record but still sounds fine for listening and/or DJing. No scratches.Light surface wear. A used but far from abused copy.

VG Scuffs and light scratches throughout, most can't be felt. Expect some surface wear throughout the record with light surface noise and possibly a few pops in places. Should still serve as a suitable player copy for listening & DJing.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!