Communal Hand-Clapping: When Did It/has It Died Out?

When I first went to rare soull all-nighters in the early 80's precision group clapping at certain point in certain records still happened. Used to send a shiver down the spine. When was the last time anyone on the site witnessed such a great example of subculteral behaviour?

Social source share

Guest Paul U

To a certain extent you can tell the soul heritage of people by the way they clap to a record. Play a rare or under played tune and less people clap and then still fewer clap at the correct place.

Social source share

When I first went to rare soull all-nighters in the early 80's precision group clapping at certain point in certain records still happened. Used to send a shiver down the spine. When was the last time anyone on the site witnessed such a great example of subculteral behaviour?

Might want to refer to this earlier thread on all things clappy handy.....

Social source share

I bloody love the clapping...& when you have been around as long as some of us have, its almost an involuntary thing & you subliminarly  even know when to clap in records that you have never heard before, you just know...I really hate it though when dancers clap in the wrong places or even just randomly, its like the fools that do thier floor work in the wrong breaks or randomly, its just wrong & makes me cringe...Yate had a way of clapping all of its own, sometimes on the backbeat, sometimes as an echo or answer to the clap on the beat, you could always tell when the Southerners were in the house as you would always here this....anyone else concur or are my Yate meanderings totally off the beat lol ?

Yes remember that Russ, things like The Epitome of Sound, everyone clap clap clap  & then the far corner clap clap clap, another corner answer clap clap clap sometimes 3/4/5 times. I fucking loved it  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know it's almost a tired old cliché now but the first time I experienced it was at Top Rank Hanley when Duke Browner was big.  1973, I guess.

I just thought it was the coolest thing; the togetherness - it was like a massive wink to each other.

Yes Duke Browner & Johnny Sayles were the big "clappers" remember that happening at Torch '72, funnily enough don't remember the Highland Room crowd clapping :g:

Social source share

Yes Duke Browner & Johnny Sayles were the big "clappers" remember that happening at Torch '72, funnily enough don't remember the Highland Room crowd clapping :g:

They just rattled their jewelry.

Social source share

Wigan '78 !

Social source share

This topic has been covered before but it's still an interesting one.

I was on the Tower Ballroom floor at The Blackpool Weekender a few years back. The DJ (I can't remember who) cut the volume at the break in Double Cookin' About a thousand people hit three claps. Boy, did it raise the goosebumps.

Social source share

Still do at Drax, Eggborough and Leeds Central,quite a lot of soulies remain on the scene that were there when clapping first started and i think reflects the camaraderie and the sense of one collective that still exists today.

Regards Fred Ward

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!