Unpleasant Record Dealings

I had a rather unpleasant experience with a record dealer the other week, so I'm interested in others opinions on this....

At an event a few weeks ago I'm flicking thru a very well known record dealer's box, while chatting to him and another DJ/mate of  mine. In the background a record came on which all 3 of us turned and listened to and made favourable comments, not being quite sure what the record was. The dealer then remembered who it was and it's title, ....and by amazing coincidence I had just found it in his sales box, so I pulled it and said, "great, I'll have this".....at which the dealer took it from me and said "sorry i'm keeping it"  I thought he was joking, so did my mate, but no, he was serious.

What would you do ?

Social source share

Sometimes people forget how good records are after they've had their 'hit' (as in acquiring it) But after a while, hearing it again (as in this case) they are reminded how good it is.

I think......."I'm terribly sorry, but on hearing it again it's made me change my mind. I will try and get another one for you though"......may have been a nicer way to put it - In his defence, he may have 'panicked' a little :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There's a way of looking through boxes.Show complete disinterest when you see something you like/want,go past it,start again flicking thru box.

In your case Denny,you should have said nowt,kept your ear on the tune,flicked past it.You never know,he might have sold it to you later..... :thumbup: He's hung on to for the same reason you wanted it. :hatsoff2:  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That is just not right; a seller is a seller ! Not a keeper right ? When you buy and sell you win some and lose some. All the rest is dishonesty and/or worst. He may put it in a polite way with a regular customer and see how he comes out of it if ever... If he does that with an first time customer he deserves to be slagged off. Imagine stuffs like that happening more than once in a single record fair... RIOT !!!

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!