Shades Of Soul - Every Issue

SOS was a fantastic fanzine and a wealth of information. Derek did a great job and contributors were many, including myself from time to time with top 10s etc. Fantastic that they are available for many more to see. Right up there with Midnight Express, VFTS etc 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At a loose end, thought I would post these.

Just like Stafford, they're coming thick and fast.

Records on front page of all three magazines, anyone hazard a guess as to what their value was then and their current value/availability now? (A Kings ransom on both counts I would have thought).

R E Gards Bob

PS Went to PURE SOUL at HARTSHILL, NUNEATON this evening and considering there were so many events in the area tonight, I was pleasantly surprised by the attendance, and music played was absolutely spot on. Well done Ralph, Les, Rob and Paul (in no particular order).

NB This is not a plug for PURE SOUL at HARTSHILL, NUNEATON held once a month as you will find in events.

Fantastic work there Bob - a fabulous magazine with some great articles/contributions and hey I cannot wait to re - read them again from cover to cover ( just like the old days ) when ya didn't put um down until the print was nearly worn out and your eyes were stinging  !!!! tfk :rofl: 

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Have uploaded all issues I have.

Sean is going to follow on with issues #25+

Just like to say thanks for his help, after all it was his conception (I was just happy to help), and also thanks to Chalky for his help also.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the reading so far, I am certainly looking forward to reading the remainder has I only have #27 and 30 after 24, so have missed a few.

ATB Bob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I personally stopped going to soul venues around 1982 as I got married in 81, and Mr Gair did what Mrs Gair wanted him to do.

As per chance in 1984 I was working at Surridge Dawson (Newspaper/magazine wholesalers) and was talking to a magazine rep (spotlight) who had frequented the Torch/Mecca.

We spoke about old times, and then he showed me an article in Record Collector about a new magazine that was being launched.

Unfortunately I didn't buy it until a good few years later (#11) and have paid the price.

Lessons to be learnt methinks.

Social source share

am fairly sure the files are ok

something went wrong it appears in the automatic rebuild - I need to spend some time in re-linking them etc

unfortunatly have to resolve a couple of main feature problems first so be  aday or two maybe three

i

Social source share

Have uploaded all issues I have.

Sean is going to follow on with issues #25+

Just like to say thanks for his help, after all it was his conception (I was just happy to help), and also thanks to Chalky for his help also.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the reading so far, I am certainly looking forward to reading the remainder has I only have #27 and 30 after 24, so have missed a few.

ATB Bob

Thanks for all this Bob and to Mike for dealing with upload issues.

As noted above, here is issue 25, along with 26. I'll get 27 - 30 uploaded at the weekend all being well. I think Chalky may then tackle the final issues.

Best

Sean

Shades of Soul issue 25 Oct 1995.pdf

Shades_of_Soul_issue_26_Oct_1996.pdf

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for all this Bob and to Mike for dealing with upload issues.

As noted above, here is issue 25, along with 26. I'll get 27 - 30 uploaded at the weekend all being well. I think Chalky may then tackle the final issues.

Best

Sean

Shades of Soul issue 25 Oct 1995.pdf

Shades_of_Soul_issue_26_Oct_1996.pdf

Having trouble with Issue 26, won't download says file damaged?

Social source share

Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to do this Bob. Very much appreciated.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Been a pleasure to upload them as it gave me the opportunity to read them again, however as I have said earlier, this was Sean's baby and I only got involved because I had access to scanning an uploading facilities and had the time to do it.

Thanks must also go out to Chalky, Mike and the SS team who have supported this thread throughout, and also to Derek Pearson and all the contributors to Shades without which this thread would not exist.

I, as am sure others involved, am only too pleased that we have been able to contribute to Soul Source, and pass on this well documented information.

R E Gards Bob

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Check if you can upload this one, I had no trouble with it.

Bob

Shades of Soul Issue 26 Oct 96.pdf

Many thanks Bob, my copy at home opens fine so maybe there was a glitch when I uploaded it, although all seemed ok at the time. As long as people have got access to versions that will open then that's what the thread's about.

Hopefully the other issues will work ok,

best

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just looking at #25 and how good is that front cover, what value the records now I wonder? how many Little John on Gogate are there even today (wasn't last copy around 6k?)

Any replies welcome (apart from what happened to Rob Grays copy of MS, you best ask him yourself).

Edited by theothertosspot
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!