Playboy Records

Harrogatesoul

Seem to have a few on this label - Some nice 70s bits: I assume it was part of the Heffner / Playboy group. So in the spirit of Heff! Here's a couple o' beauties to kick off :

Al Wilson - Be Concerned b/w I've Got A Feeling (PLAYBOY6062) - Just love this tale of inner city living & social commentary!

Bobby Taylor - Why Play Games (PLAYBOY 6046) - Nice bouncy tune - Cheap!

Anyone for anymore??? Faves / obscurities? Seems to have had quite a run from looking at the numbers - tho' I'm sure there'll be other genres mixed in?

Cheers

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Seem to have a few on this label - Some nice 70s bits: I assume it was part of the Heffner / Playboy group. So in the spirit of Heff! Here's a couple o' beauties to kick off :

Al Wilson - Be Concerned b/w I've Got A Feeling (PLAYBOY6062) - Just love this tale of inner city living & social commentary!

Bobby Taylor - Why Play Games (PLAYBOY 6046) - Nice bouncy tune - Cheap!

Anyone for anymore??? Faves / obscurities? Seems to have had quite a run from looking at the numbers - tho' I'm sure there'll be other genres mixed in?

Cheers

Rich

Plenty of goodies on Playboy 45s, for example:

Curtis Womack - Last Date

Shawn Jackson - Just As Bad As You

Buck - It's Gonna Be Alright

Buck - I Can't Quit Your Love

Major Lance - Sweeter (As The Days Go By)

Major Lance - Last Of the Red Hot Lovers (killer Phillip Mitchell tune!)

Ron Butler and the Ramblers - Peace And Love

Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds - - Fallin' In Love (exquisite blue eyed soul)

...just a few I thought of off the top of me head....

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not forgettin' Trust Me This Night - making a top trio of sounds from Buck.....

Girf

================

Any idea who Buck is? :lol: - His 'Come Closer - Fabulous! Not heard the flip tho...

Will see if theres a discography aboot..

Cheers

Rich

...He's Somethingorttheother Buckner - can't access my database at the momet to ells you what the first name is, but he also had records on another smaller Chicago label, either under his own name or as the Buckner Brothers. I'll get back you you with more as soon as I can - unless someone beats me to it!

TONE shades.gif

Social source share

...He's Somethingorttheother Buckner - can't access my database at the momet to ells you what the first name is, but he also had records on another smaller Chicago label, either under his own name or as the Buckner Brothers. I'll get back you you with more as soon as I can - unless someone beats me to it!

TONE :unsure:

Hi Tone,

Got Buck Trust me this night by Buck and the sixteenth movement written by Raymond Buckner so i would image that this is the Buck in question,( great ballard on the otherside called Fool Fool which is like cicero blake 'here come the heartache' on tower)

By the way ' isn't Trust me this night' the same as tomorrows men it's real on congress same backing.

And finally check out Sam Russell ' what's usual ain't natural' on playboy ( thanks to Mr Houghton for that one)

Hope info not to boring must get out more :thumbsup:

best

ANDY MANN

Social source share

Hi Tone,

Got Buck Trust me this night by Buck and the sixteenth movement written by Raymond Buckner so i would image that this is the Buck in question,( great ballard on the otherside called Fool Fool which is like cicero blake 'here come the heartache' on tower)

By the way ' isn't Trust me this night' the same as tomorrows men it's real on congress same backing.

And finally check out Sam Russell ' what's usual ain't natural' on playboy ( thanks to Mr Houghton for that one)

Hope info not to boring must get out more :thumbsup:

best

ANDY MANN

==

mine would be paul clemens - it aint gonna happen to us again

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

==

mine would be paul clemens - it aint gonna happen to us again

have i missed it in everybody elses listings, Al Wilson Baby I want your body, can there be a better record on this label ?

Social source share

The issue of Bobby Taylor "Why play games"has a nice midtempo cut "Don`t wonder why"on the flip. Also check out Ruby Winters excellent "I`m a lovin` woman" Plus, there`s a couple of nice Louise Freeman tracks on the label as well.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!