Articles: Reflections from the Corfu Weekender May 2015

OK...here's a bit of detail about the music etc. The dj's consisted of Dave Raistrick, Tom Page, Marco Martinelli, David Hayden, Mark Freeman, Dave Evison, Kev Draper, Kev Such, Kris Sikora (apologies for omissions - bad memory). Musically it was a mixture on Friday and Sunday where the event was held in the downstairs area. So lots of oldies, a few "Niter" sounds (Hopkins Bros was one) and 70s classics through to a  bit of disco/dance stuff.  On Saturday the upstairs club was opened for the Niter so 60s upstairs and modern down below. I think only Dave and Tom played vinyl, the rest was cd. They did seem uneasy about taking vinyl over - various reasons given for this. A few tracks were played that the dj didn't own (Soul Inc. My Proposal for one) - I think the cd format bothered a few people at first, I for one. Having said that everybody seemed to be having such a good time that it was not really an issue. I travel to a lot of European weekenders and would have a totally different opinion in places like Germany but Corfu did seem more like a "Soul Holiday" than a Rare Soul Weekender!! I met a few people who were "Nighter Folk" (Lifeline etc) but the majority seemed to be from the Midlands/Northants/Beds area and frequented soul nights in those areas.

The weather was superb and I really enjoyed the craic. Would probably go again - but not with my "Serious" head on...

Mark C    

OH...and would estimate 150 Brits with a handful of locals who couldn't dance but looked to be enjoying it!

Edited by professorturnups
Social source share

Along with Mark C would like to add what a great time was had by a couple of Northerners who made new friends from down the Midlands, Norths, Beds areas there enthusiasm was great to see, we,ll have to get down there!

All the the DJs did great spots was great to listen to Young Tom and Kev Draper who I had not heard spin out before!

Hats off to Amanda for her first "do" well done

Already looking forward to next year only hope the fishing is better....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!