Only Dreaming

Cataloging Your Music Collection

Hi. I've just started converting my music collection to digital. I was wondering what the good people on SS use to catalogue their titles for easy reference? I was thinking of using a data Base such as Microsoft Access? But is there one specifically design for record collections? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Edited by Only Dreaming

Totally depends with what you want to do with the information. If you just want a simple list of artist/title/label/year/value etc, then a simple Excel spread sheet will allow you to enter this and allow it to be searchable (which Word is useless for).

If you want it to print off labels for your sleeves to contain the data, then an Excel spreadsheet "mail-merged" to a simple template in Word will do the trick.

Best thing to do is have a clear picture in your mind as to what you want your database to look like, and what you want to do with it, and then it can be easily built...easy and pretty much at no cost.

It also depends what sort of quantity you are talking.

I use Microsoft access simply because I needed something capable of handling huge numbers (it was cd tracks I was cataloging)

I'm over 55 thousand entries with six fields for each entry now, and still going.

If it's much less than this excel will do perfectly

Thanks for all the replies. Dave,  I think I'll go with Access/Excel as I've not got that much to catalog. Really I just want something that tells me what music I have in my collection and in what format (Flac,Mp3,Wav, Etc).

Take care,

Dave

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.