The Following 45's Just Been Pressed

Pete S

Yeah you're right, Geordie - it's all about opinions and nothing more. Sitting at my PC, trying to avoid doing what I should be doing...so let's, to quote Mrs Merton, have a heated debate!

You're also right re the PRS, re artists being ripped off in the first place and re the fact that any monies they would receive from an insignificant pressing run being, well, insignificant.

That said, at risk of banging on, the fact that the world is imperfect doesn't mean you shouldn't bother doing your bit, or that you should resist having a pop at anyone who bootlegs, particularly on a semi-industrial scale, be it CDs or vinyl.

It's all about the PRINCIPLE!

Er, sorry...just caught meself banging on!

Blah blah blah...principles...ramble ramble...artists...etc etc ad nauseam....

Anyway, what do you think of my avatar (just worked out how to attach one!)?

link

I assume you do have the legal rights to use that photograph Dan ? :-)

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Actually it was given to me by the holders of the copyright to use in publicity so in a round about way, Dave....but anyway I ain't flogging it and that's my point

BTW, called on Friday, got your email, will call later today if you're in?

Social source share

We are as well sadly coming into a time period where all the rights for many artists

will dissappear through law and it will be a free for all for the scavengers and shilocks of the dishonest record world and...........bloody hell Dan your rubbing off onto me.

Geeoooordie

link

Bloody hell, now you're depressing me...!

Social source share

Got sod all to say Shane mate sorry, tried before and it makes little or no difference with all the opinion and i know best ethic out there, sorry do what you like, collect what you like, it matters very little to me anymore as some people think it's a bit of a joke all this, we are never gonna stop bootlegs but they still don't make it right does it ?, some people here seem to have the answers so maybe they are right who knows and who really cares, i'm fucked if i do anymore.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The following is taken from Mick Fitzpatricks site at Night Owl Club, I borrowed it once before when discussing the playing of CD's (don't want to start that up again!).

A guy called Steve Sales sent this paper to me. A Dr Brookes wrote it. It is in response to something Dr Brookes read in a magazine. You may or may not agree with his hypotheses but it does make interesting reading and keeps in the style of 'The Night Owl' looking at the Northern Soul scene from every angle. These are Dr Brooke's words:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put forward the hypotheses there are four classes or types on the Northern Soul Scene, which are as follows

The sub-class

This class of person is not a soul fan; they became involved with the Northern soul scene during the hey-days of 1975-79. The sub-class is often referred to as " plastic-Soulies " having no real passion for the music. The plastic-Soulies are part of the soul scene because of social ties. They will have friends who belong to the other classes of persons on the scene. The majority of this sub-class left the Northern soul scene when other musical styles became popular.

Class one (the soul fan)

The Soul Fan is driven by the love of the "sound". The Soul Fan loves to listen to the sound irrespective of the medium. The Soul Fan does not care if the medium is original vinyl, pressing, CD, etc The soul fan will have a collection that will contain the sounds on many medium. Because it is the love of the sound that is the driving force not the love of a particular medium. The Soul Fan may sell a favourite sound that is on an original label, because it is available on CD and with the extra money he/she can purchase more CD's or pressings or originals containing other loved sounds. Therefore driven by the love of soul music, the original is sold to be replaced by more sounds.

Class two

This is the overlap class; Some Soul Fans are also Original Soul Record Collectors. Both the love of soul music and the love of collecting original soul records drive them. This Class of person will have more conflict in his/her purchasing i.e. to buy the three pressings or the original? This Class may replace pressings as and when they can get hold of the original records. There is a tendency though in this class to be influenced by the third class in their purchasing practices.

Class Three (the original soul record collector)

The Original Soul Record Collector this is the elitist class, this class do not belong to the class of Soul Fans, they are not soul fans . They are not driven by the love of soul music. But by the love of collecting (viz. soul records). This class comes over as "snobs" as regard to soul records and may well refuse to own pressings or CDs. This class once belonged to the second class but have lost sight of the nature of soul music and have been caught up by pride and vanity. They love nothing better than telling you the value of a record and how few copies exist. Contrast the Soul Fan who loves nothing better than listening to the record and loves to play them for you too.

Just thought it fitted in with this topic, I'd like to thing of myself as in Class 2 blink.gif

The main problem for me when purchasing records is basically can I afford it? Unfortunately, if I can't afford an original and I want the tune badly enough then I'll buy it on another label (even a bootleg). I can't read all these posts and say that I don't when I do. Please before you say do overtime, sell stuff, etc., let me stop you and say you don't know my financial affairs and neither would I want you to know!

Right before you all start, let me just get my flak jacket and tin helmet! :tomato2:

Social source share

The following is taken from Mick Fitzpatricks site at Night Owl Club, I borrowed it once before when discussing the playing of CD's (don't want to start that up again!).

A guy called Steve Sales sent this paper to me. A Dr Brookes wrote it. It is in response to something Dr Brookes read in a magazine. You may or may not agree with his hypotheses but it does make interesting reading and keeps in the style of 'The Night Owl' looking at the Northern Soul scene from every angle. These are Dr Brooke's words:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put forward the hypotheses there are four classes or types on the Northern Soul Scene, which are as follows

The sub-class

This class of person is not a soul fan; they became involved with the Northern soul scene during the hey-days of 1975-79. The sub-class is often referred to as " plastic-Soulies " having no real passion for the music. The plastic-Soulies are part of the soul scene because of social ties. They will have friends who belong to the other classes of persons on the scene. The majority of this sub-class left the Northern soul scene when other musical styles became popular.

Class one (the soul fan)

The Soul Fan is driven by the love of the "sound". The Soul Fan loves to listen to the sound irrespective of the medium. The Soul Fan does not care if the medium is original vinyl, pressing, CD, etc The soul fan will have a collection that will contain the sounds on many medium. Because it is the love of the sound that is the driving force not the love of a particular medium. The Soul Fan may sell a favourite sound that is on an original label, because it is available on CD and with the extra money he/she can purchase more CD's or pressings or originals containing other loved sounds. Therefore driven by the love of soul music, the original is sold to be replaced by more sounds.

Class two

This is the overlap class; Some Soul Fans are also Original Soul Record Collectors. Both the love of soul music and the love of collecting original soul records drive them. This Class of person will have more conflict in his/her purchasing i.e. to buy the three pressings or the original? This Class may replace pressings as and when they can get hold of the original records. There is a tendency though in this class to be influenced by the third class in their purchasing practices.

Class Three (the original soul record collector)

The Original Soul Record Collector this is the elitist class, this class do not belong to the class of Soul Fans, they are not soul fans . They are not driven by the love of soul music. But by the love of collecting (viz. soul records). This class comes over as "snobs" as regard to soul records and may well refuse to own pressings or CDs. This class once belonged to the second class but have lost sight of the nature of soul music and have been caught up by pride and vanity. They love nothing better than telling you the value of a record and how few copies exist. Contrast the Soul Fan who loves nothing better than listening to the record and loves to play them for you too.

Just thought it fitted in with this topic, I'd like to thing of myself as in Class 2 blink.gif

The main problem for me when purchasing records is basically can I afford it?  Unfortunately, if I can't afford an original and I want the tune badly enough then I'll buy it on another label (even a bootleg).  I can't read all these posts and say that I don't when I do.  Please before you say do overtime, sell stuff, etc., let me stop you and say you don't know my financial affairs and neither would I want you to know!

Right before you all start, let me just get my flak jacket and tin helmet!  :tomato2:

link

I've read this before.

So who is this Dr Brooks then? I think that this is a fake written by an old soulie trying to be smart. The terminology used suggests it's written by someone within the scene (pressings for reissues for example). They also use random capital letters and you'd expect someone with a doctorate to use proper punctuation wouldn't you?

Does the Doo Wop collecting scene fret over their 'repros' in the same way that we do?

oops!! too many questions:

I'm gonna end up using that spare brain half way up my back if I'm not careful :lol::lol:

Godz

Social source share

Bloody hell, now you're depressing me...!

link

That time though is 50 years from the date of recording before it passes into the public domain in this country, 90 years for most of the rest of the world. That ruling is currently or will soon be challenged in the courts by the majors.

There was an article in the Record Collector a few months ago, will try and scan and post so you can read.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Supercorsa

You have to make your own mind up and, fair dos, you have.

I like soul, I like it on original 45s and if they're going to be reissued I like the artists to benefit. It's pretty much that simple, however you and this Brooks guy want to complicate things.

Each to his own, though.

Dan

Social source share

T............... Night Owl Club, I borrowed it once before when discussing the playing of CD's (don't want to start that up again!).

A guy called Steve Sales sent this paper to me.

link

something just clicked here.....

long time readers regonise that name from a other thread?

blink.gif

Social source share

The question was 'what' not 'who'........but as you seem to be a bit of a wit and all round good egg, I'll give ground on that one!

Changing tack completely any body know what ever happened to Les McCutcheon. He was the guy behind the Colin Bee pressings & Destiny Records with Kev Roberts. I know he left the scene & went off to manage Shakatak during the Jazz Funk era.

Wondered if he'd ever surfaced?

link

A very successful guy and close personal friend. His son Steve produces Westlife, Kelly Clarkson and Boyzone.

I saw Les in Fleetwood at the weekend. He owns Passion/Expansion/Souyl Brother labels.

Social source share

Bexter, I dont know how to break this to you but Boyzone stopped recording a few years back. I'm sorry. Please dont cry, I know how bad you took it when Robbie left Take That...if it's any consolation Ronan Keating has a best of cd out at the moment.... biggrin.gif

Edited by wendy
Social source share

Bexter, I dont know how to break this to you but Boyzone stopped recording a few years back. I'm sorry. Please dont cry, I know how bad you took it when Robbie left Take That...if it's any consolation Ronan Keating has a best of cd out at the moment.... :P

link

WENDY-----IM SURE YOU GET THE POINT. HE'S A SUCCESSFUL GUY END OF STORY.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert