Volcanos Live At Prestatyn 2016

The Volcanos 

Individually The Volcanos are: Stephen C. Kelly the founder of the group sings first and second tenor and also lead. Stephen an honorably discharged navy veteran also wrote and published the book about the growth and development of The Volcanos  “Behind the Curtain.” Ron Silva a licensed nursing home administrator spent years as a musician and director of several choirs in the South Jersey. Ron was also a member of the secular vocal group “Royal Blues” before becoming a member of The Volcanos . Ron sings baritone, tenor and lead. William Nix has been singing and playing music virtually all his life. He’s a trained musician and sings tenor and lead. Nix as he’s called by the group is deeply spiritually and plays bass guitar when he’s available for other traveling gospel greats like Shirley Caesar. James (J.P.) Phillips sings first and second tenor and lead. Prior to joining The Volcanos , J.P. as he’s called by the group sang with The Intrigues, Classic Harmony and The Men of Mount Moriah. Darrall Campbell sang with a number of popular groups like Mixed Emotions, New Image, The Ecstasies, Destinations and a solo career that resulted in Darrall producing and recording “I Dig You which became a local hit.

Collectively and individually The Volcanos  travelled and performed with celebrated individuals and groups like Patti La Belle, Eddie Holman, Barbara Mason, Larry Clinton, Nella Dodds, Herb Ward, The Royaletts, Smoky Robinson & The Miracles, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Arthur Prysock, Lloyd Price, Wilson Pickett, The Intruders, The Delfonics, Len Barry and countless others. They were more or less regulars on both “The Jerry Blavat” and The Georgie Woods TV Shows. 

The  posted pictures are the current publicity photos of 'The Volcanos ' one of Philadelphia's legendary  and treasured vocal groups that came into musical prominence .during the '60s and '70s when The City of Brotherly Love was spewing out hit recording acts right and left.  The group recorded two back to back hit records, "Storm Warning and "Ladies Man" on the Arctic Record label and became immortalized among groups emerging from Philadelphia's  'hit' record history.

More recently, The Volcanos  were contacted and contracted to travel to England and perform in concert in the United Kingdom in March, 2016.  This upcoming special concert featuring the legendary group was handled by Richard Searling of MUSIC+MEDIA CONSULTANCY, who flew to the United States recently to sign contracts confirming this United Kingdom Concert featuring the legendary Volcanos .

post-3067-0-79404400-1431884118_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Guest ruppy

Looking forward to this ,also the Volcanos later went on to have major hits as the |Trammps in the early 70,s

Social source share

Must be a big deal for Richard - wasn't he the first one onto both of those Volcanos' biggies?  I certainly remember Laws of Love being almost a signature record at Va Va...  probably helped to make his early reputation.

Edited by Dayo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this ,also the Volcanos later went on to have major hits as the |Trammps in the early 70,s

Top Philly Soul  Mick and a great find too !!!

post-3067-0-63792000-1432880524_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-95616100-1432880574_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Except Steve Kelly wasn't one of the Volcanos that went on to form the Trammps, so there is no connection whatsoever between this group and The Trammps

Social source share

Dave's correct,

It's a common misconception that The Volcanos were also The Tramps.  I interviewed Stephen Kelly at length a few years ago.  These current guys can sing for sure.... but it ain't THE Volcanos.  But then The Vibrations weren't THE Vibrations but no one seemed to mind. I guess at this stage of life if there's an original member then we should just be thankful we get to hear/see them at last and give props before it's too late.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

From the Trammps website.....

The Trammps began in Philadelphia in 1972 featuring vocalist, Jimmy Ellis, Harold Doc Wade, Stanley Wade and Earl Young and traveled with as many as 11 members, culled from the ranks of the busiest and best musicians, many of whom also played for Gamble and Huff's Philly International and later for Vince Montana's Salsoul Orchestra. The Trammps' first recording, Zing Went the Strings Of My Heart, a remarkable remake of a tune originally recorded by Judy Garland in 1943, was recorded at the legendary Sigma Sound Studios in 1972 and was a bona fide chart hit, reaching #17 on the R&B chart and #64 on the pop charts that summer.

Within the next few years, Buddha Records recorded several of the Trammps' hits, including Hold Back The Night which reached #40 on the pop charts and #10 on the R&B charts and Where Do We Go From Here, reaching #44 on the R&B charts in 1974. In mid-1975, the Trammps became one of Atlantic Records hottest Disco recording acts. Their first album with Atlantic yielded tracts Hooked for Life and Where the Happy People Go which became their biggest pop hit to date reaching #27 and continues to rank as one of the most recognizable songs of its era. Other Trammps hits on Atlantic included, Disco Party, Body Contact, I Fell Like I've Been Livin' (On The Dark Side Of The Moon), The Night The Lights Went Out, and Soul Bones, which features a harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder.

The pinnacle of the Trammps career was their Atlantic sound track, Disco Inferno. In 1977 Disco Inferno, was the hottest song on the International Disco scene and the group was recognized as the best performing group by one of New York's most popular clubs, 2001 Space Odyssey, the location for the motion picture, Saturday Night Fever. The soundtrack for the movie, which included Disco Inferno, was the industries biggest selling album to date and won the Trammps a Grammy Award in 1979. Throughout the years, the Trammps have made many tours throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and South America. Currently the Trammps, original members, Robert Upchurch, Harold Doc Wade, Stanley Wade, Keith Elmore, and Van Fields. The Trammps tour nationally and internationally with musicians from the original touring group.

Social source share

Looks like three of the original four Volcano's went on to become the Trammps, Wade Brothers and Earl Young.

And the one that didn't was Steve Kelly, which is what I said in my original post ! And as he is the only original member of the Volcanos in the current line up, this group cannot be said to have any connection to the Trammps.

Funnily enough, before I posted I checked what my original thoughts were on this really good website that contains all sorts of information.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/trammps.htm

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

it isn't me you have to convince Dave.  I posted earlier that only one member of the Volcano's is part of the current group, I know he was never a member of the Trammps and I know none of the Trammps are part of this group  :thumbsup: 

and yes you do have a really good website  :D  :thumbup:

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!