Ok How Does It Become Ex Graded Double O 's Demingoes ?

Just had a well known dealers latest offerings via email.

He has a copy of this for sale - which even after cleaning don't sound Exc grading , and last sale on Ebay from Jason Koening ( £664 ) which looks like he purchased ..... had label damage and graded ' good ' Hmmm , even optimistically with VPI cleaning the 45 can't become Exc  - just saying ......thoughts...

I know it's a scarce item  and a tough find - Spent last year attempting to trace songwriters/ copyright owners all dead ends ... but £1,000  is it really worth that much in this condition . Check soundclip on the well known site ...Won't name here .....

Social source share

Take it we are talking about "Color one tear black" Glyn, both sides in big demand, Sweet Soul collectors holy grail and the latin dance flip, never comes up, not surprised even in that condition that its fetching that much

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would be really interesting to know if there was ever enough material for an album, if so what happened to the tapes if never released? as it does say on the 45 "from album Breakthrough". Any stories of the group or photos in existence too I wonder? Good luck Glyn or anyone else who manages to find out. That would be something.

Sadly it seems that true rarity and growing demand for both sides of this particular 45 likely to see price of a mint one well out of reach for many of us, should one exist and ever go up for auction anywhere  :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would be really interesting to know if there was ever enough material for an album, if so what happened to the tapes if never released? as it does say on the 45 "from album Breakthrough". Any stories of the group or photos in existence too I wonder? Good luck Glyn or anyone else who manages to find out. That would be something.

Sadly it seems that true rarity and growing demand for both sides of this particular 45 likely to see price of a mint one well out of reach for many of us, should one exist and ever go up for auction anywhere  :(

Rare and incredibly good Steve, both sides, Boba (how we miss him) told me he thought it to be arguably the greatest Sweet Soul record ever, I think you should hang on to yours for dear life (unless you want to sell it to me) :yes:

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Steve

Just because it states that a 45 has been taken from a forthcoming album, it doesn't always mean  that a album was ever recorded. In some cases the 45 was used to test the water, if it suceeded then the group would consider cutting a album.

Although i think their was a further two 45's cut on the Double O's

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

You're about 15 years too late. Several Cincy / Ohio people contacted them way back. They started as James Bowens and the Agents, Bowens was the leader, he liked the James Bond / spy movie genre and named the group accordingly.

I know it's a scarce item  and a tough find - Spent last year attempting to trace songwriters/ copyright owners all dead ends ...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Just had a well known dealers latest offerings via email.

He has a copy of this for sale - which even after cleaning don't sound Exc grading , and last sale on Ebay from Jason Koening ( £664 ) which looks like he purchased ..... had label damage and graded ' good ' Hmmm , even optimistically with VPI cleaning the 45 can't become Exc  - just saying ......thoughts...

I know it's a scarce item  and a tough find - Spent last year attempting to trace songwriters/ copyright owners all dead ends ... but £1,000  is it really worth that much in this condition . Check soundclip on the well known site ...Won't name here .....

Hello Glyn, hope all is well for you. Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, theres far too much of this sort of thing going on from far too many people. Its downright dishonest to overgrade records like this but the thing is,they wouldn't be able to get away with it if there weren't so many idiots out there who will buy knackered records for top dollar…..

Ive actually had it happen to me on this forum.It went like this.

Basically,I saw a 45 I really wanted on a dealers list,listened to the sound clip on the list and realised it wasn't the copy for me because it wasn't good enough condition particularly because it wasn't exactly cheap anyway. 3 weeks later, a much better graded copy was advertised on here for £150 more. As it was a special one to me I thought Id treat myself to the record I wanted in the condition I wanted it in. He even made a point of stating how nice condition it was. Imagine my surprise then disappointment to open the package and see the self same copy [listed by the dealer beforehand] staring back at me.[i knew it was the same copy because of specific marks etc on the label]. It didn't play well either. Definitely,the same copy,100%.

I got my money back of course but, it was a hell of a lot of aggro for nothing, left me skint for the meantime and, for me, one more bad experience in record buying.

Very,very bad practise in my book.  

Social source share

Yes, the Crawl/ A Thousand Years Too Late is the rarest 45 by them. Color One Tear Black used to sell pretty cheap, as the hard funk of "Crawl" was the in demand side. That was at the peak of the hard funk sound about 10 years ago, and "Crawl" sold for four figures. I paid $500 for mine which was more that I paid for the other three combined (including their 1st 45 as James Bowens and the Agents). Sometime over the next week I make a sound file of "1000 Years" if no one else does.

There's copies of all the 45s in several US collections.

Remembered reading this a couple of years ago, article by Andy Dyson on what looks to be the rarest of all three "A thousand years too late". I'd love to hear it sometime hopefully.

https://www.souldiscovery.co.uk/andy-dyson

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

May still have a spare of the Crawl, actually thought it was the easiest of their 45s. As for this seller buying records off ebay regularly and promptly "upgrading" the condition had already posted a few months ago about one where I was the 2nd bidder on an obscure one that didn't go high as condition was absolutely crap, promptly listed at an insane mark up claiming was clean, hope everyone here has wised up to those tricks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!