The Corduroys

Guest maestro

Guest maestro

Anybody know anything about the Corduroys on Hale? I read in the Lee Silver comp that supposedly the Pentagons on Sutter was originally released as The Corduroys on Hale. Is the Corduroys version any different from the Pentagons? How rare is it? Does anyone know where I can get a copy, or at least hear it? I can't seem to find the tracks anywhere.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest maestro

Right?.....honestly, the first time I heard Forever Yours, you would have never been able to convince me it was earlier than '71-'72. Are both records the same group, same recording, etc.? It seems like The Corduroys might have been Silver's first attempt at soul, obviously the public didn't take to it and I guess later he said let's try that one again...........

Social source share

I think he repressed as the Pentagons for the ballad side. I think they were temporarily known as the Corduroys to get away from the Jamie deal. The Hale is rare but exists, I got an acetate of it which I actually believe is genuine, some of the ones that were sold 10-15 years ago weren't cut in the 60s.

Social source share

On one of my record buying visits to Lee Silver he told me the Pentagons on Sutter came out as The Corduroys on Hale. I asked him if he had a copy, sadly he didn't, not even a file copy.

I asked around the LA collectors if they'd ever seen it ? The ones I asked said they hadn't.

Years passed, I was genuinely starting to think it didn't exist, then in 2011 Anglo put it on their sales list one day ! I didn't see the list until late afternoon so was quite surprised when I called & it was still there.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Guest maestro

Wow, that sounds pretty rare. Damn it! I definitely want one!! Did he happen to mention pressing quantities? It sounds like the Corduroys Hale press is really early and really rare L.A. soul. I've got to say, it always saddens me when I hear someone doesn't even have a copy of the amazing music they made. Hopefully he had most the other records he had a hand in.

Edited by maestro
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest maestro

Thanks! I suppose that's reasonable considering the price of the Pentagons on Sutter. I'm a little surprised it's even that much, though, because it seems like almost no one cares about it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!