Russell Gilbert

Get Your Own Record Cutting Machine

Guest sharmo 1

I'm going to be having one in around six weeks time and will be going on a course so should be up and running in around two months . Regards Frank ford virtue.

I'm going to be having one in around six weeks time and will be going on a course so should be up and running in around two months . Regards Frank ford virtue.

Apart from the obvious answer of "cut records", you got plans?

Do you mean a course on how to do it?  I'll come with you.  I'd love to buy one.

Guest sharmo 1

Do you mean a course on how to do it?  I'll come with you.  I'd love to buy one.

I think it's the way forward pete looks like a trip to Germany .

Guest sharmo 1

Apart from the obvious answer of "cut records", you got plans?

It seems a good thing to run along side my record business , I always fancied an acetate cutting machine and had a long chat with Chris king who has one but it's not just about having the equipment you need to have a natural feel for it apparently but I'm going to give it a whirl.

It seems a good thing to run along side my record business , I always fancied an acetate cutting machine and had a long chat with Chris king who has one but it's not just about having the equipment you need to have a natural feel for it apparently but I'm going to give it a whirl.

I could do with a new carver of vinyl! The service I used to use here in the Netherlands has gone on to fulltime cutting to cater for the rising vinyl demand. It means he's no longer doing one-offs, and the ones I've had done in the UK before just don't compare for quality...

These are nothing new though.  Vestax had one out almost 15 years ago, it was £7500 or thereabouts and about 7p for the vinyl blanks.

Nobody was saying that this is a whole new thing. It just looked liked something that people here might find interesting.

These are nothing new though.  Vestax had one out almost 15 years ago, it was £7500 or thereabouts and about 7p for the vinyl blanks.

no records are nothing new - we know that, but the thing to glean from the vestax and the version in this  post is that by the 20s we will get a desktop version for under a grand, at which point all hell breaks loose. 

no records are nothing new - we know that, but the thing to glean from the vestax and the version in this  post is that by the 20s we will get a desktop version for under a grand, at which point all hell breaks loose. 

Only if enough are sold and economies of scale come into effect, but not if it remains the eclectic bit of kit that it is.

That said, I hope you're right - about the price, but not the consequences. 

In 15 years they have reduced by just 50%.  Given the advancement in technology in that time not very good is it.  At the rate I mentioned I doubt ypu will get one for a grand till next century :lol:  but it is like Russell says, wpuld enoug be sold to mass produce and therefore reduce prices?  Somehow I doubt it.

i wish though we had bought one when we looked into the vestax one all ose years ago given the scale of carving since then.

I could do with a new carver of vinyl! The service I used to use here in the Netherlands has gone on to fulltime cutting to cater for the rising vinyl demand. It means he's no longer doing one-offs, and the ones I've had done in the UK before just don't compare for quality...

Timmion are very good Russell. Bit more expensive but the sound quality is better. 

I've used Timmion a couple of times to cut CD tracks to vinyl for my rare forays into DJing. A good service and good quality records. Last time I used them they had a site that you uploaded the WAV file to, rather than sending an MP3 as an email attachment.

The record cutting machine looks real fun but could a normal person ever justify the outlay? A bootleggers paradise though!

In 15 years they have reduced by just 50%.  Given the advancement in technology in that time not very good is it.  At the rate I mentioned I doubt ypu will get one for a grand till next century :lol:  but it is like Russell says, wpuld enoug be sold to mass produce and therefore reduce prices?  Somehow I doubt it.

i wish though we had bought one when we looked into the vestax one all ose years ago given the scale of carving since then.

what you are missing whilst typing your laughing emotions is the rate in which technology is moving forward and has moved forward in such a timespan these days. 

you will be able to print such a tool at some point within the 20s and ittl cost you next to nothing in comparison.

such engineering mass production, if such a thing exists at that point, will be cheap if not extinct because you will be able to sort it all yourself.  

you fail to see the future and its actually already here  :yes: 

why would you want one of these ? , you know you cant play carvers out or the soul police will get you ;) , 7p a record sounds good though , get a whole dj set for under a fiver

Because I could have every record I ever wanted on vinyl...

what you are missing whilst typing your laughing emotions is the rate in which technology is moving forward and has moved forward in such a timespan these days. 

you will be able to print such a tool at some point within the 20s and ittl cost you next to nothing in comparison.

such engineering mass production, if such a thing exists at that point, will be cheap if not extinct because you will be able to sort it all yourself.  

The economics of business remain the same and economies of scale are still the key factor to whether a technology or product becomes accessible and affordable or not. Sure, 3D printing will change everything as it becomes mainstream - based on those very same economies of scale.

Thing is though, a record carving machine is still quite a complex thing technologically. It has many components, physical and electronic, and requires other pieces of kit alongside it so that it can do what it's designed to do.

Sure, costs will come down, but not by so much. There just isn't the mainstream demand and that means the product has a small and finite market - another factor that affects economies of scale.

I haven't missed anything regarding technology and the future still isn't here for all and certainly not at a cost of next to nothing and wont be in the near future either.

Edited by chalky

Maybe everyone on here could chip in to buy one, and each week vote on which record to cut,  maybe on the 'Soul Source Label '.

I like it!  Let's get all the rare and unreleased records and recordings onto vinyl, and available at a cost of virtually nothing!  And while were at it. let's make the labels "lookalikes" in the case of the rare ones that WERE issued, and make labels how what they WOULD HAVE LOOKED, for the never previously issued recordings! :)

I like it!  Let's get all the rare and unreleased records and recordings onto vinyl, and available at a cost of virtually nothing!  And while were at it. let's make the labels "lookalikes" in the case of the rare ones that WERE issued, and make labels how what they WOULD HAVE LOOKED, for the never previously issued recordings! :)

I see legal minefields everywhere

I thought that was happening already on eBay!  :lol: 

Sometimes makes you wonder, if vinyl had have been as easy to copy in its hay day, as CD's / mp3's are today, i wonder if our music scene would have ever got off the ground ?.  also if you had your own vinyl pressing equipment, what would you do with it ?  :wicked: 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.