Seven Day Lover Boot, Surely Not?

Pete S

I picked up some copies of James Fountain - Seven day Lover at the weekend, on Cream, the UK issue - mate says these are recent bootlegs as they don't have the serated edge.  I'm not going to argue but why would anyone bootleg a very common UK reissue?  I won't say it fooled me because I wouldn't expect a recent press to be nestling in with 40 year old stock but does anyone know?  Has the name Orlake in the run off, seen on a lot of UK 45's.

Social source share

I picked up some copies of James Fountain - Seven day Lover at the weekend, on Cream, the UK issue - mate says these are recent bootlegs as they don't have the serated edge.  I'm not going to argue but why would anyone bootleg a very common UK reissue?  I won't say it fooled me because I wouldn't expect a recent press to be nestling in with 40 year old stock but does anyone know?  Has the name Orlake in the run off, seen on a lot of UK 45's.

Pete

The original has the anti slip serrated ring ,as did all singles in the 70s. The later issue on Cream was ,I think, done by or on behalf of Rollercoaster  when William Bell came over to perform at the Gala Gran in the 90s . 

Rollercoaster bought most of the stock when Global Records/Cream closed down. This would have included all the unused Cream records labels,which there were thousands, so they probably did a deal with William Bell to press up a quantity using the original labels. 

The re press copies have "Orlake" in the run out which was a pressing plant. If I remember rightly they did the pressing for all the original Cream issues but the re press must have been re-mastered as the markings are different.

So I don't think the 90s re press is a boot but a short run to tie in with William Bells visit. He would have been aware of this as I have a signed Cream re-press by him. It had been planed for James Fountain to come over with William but I think he died just before, or was very ill ,and died later.

Rick

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Pete

The original has the anti slip serrated ring ,as did all singles in the 70s. The later issue on Cream was ,I think, done by or on behalf of Rollercoaster  when William Bell came over to perform at the Gala Gran in the 90s . 

Rollercoaster bought most of the stock when Global Records/Cream closed down. This would have included all the unused Cream records labels,which there were thousands, so they probably did a deal with William Bell to press up a quantity using the original labels. 

The re press copies have "Orlake" in the run out which was a pressing plant. If I remember rightly they did the pressing for all the original Cream issues but the re press must have been re-mastered as the markings are different.

So I don't think the 90s re press is a boot but a short run to tie in with William Bells visit. He would have been aware of this as I have a signed Cream re-press by him. It had been planed for James Fountain to come over with William but I think he died just before, or was very ill ,and died later.

Rick

Great stuff Rick.  The labels are identical so I was thinking something along those lines.

Social source share

Johnny Beggs told me there was a batch of these at a recent Stoke record fair for a fiver a pop....not sure if he bought any, but seem to recall he said there were quite a few.

Same bloke as I bought them from mate, the following day

Social source share

Same bloke as I bought them from mate, the following day

These have been wholesaled in a load of places Pete. Even one of my local shops had a bunch of these along with some quantity of some really old Selecta pressings. The story I got told was that this was all dead stock which had been laying around in a cellar for 20 odd years. Some of the stock looked slightly water or storage damaged to me and some of those pressings indicated that this was in fact dead stock.

Ian D  :D 

Social source share

Yeah there's lots of Selectadisc pressings there.  But inbetween all the Motown and the junk, I got 3 originals which are "apparently" worth over £125 so...

Mmm. The guy in the shop had a Joey Delorenzo which came from the same load. It looked like a boot to me so I passed on it but I did wonder what that was doing with the other stuff. Should I nip back and get it....?

Social source share

Mmm. The guy in the shop had a Joey Delorenzo which came from the same load. It looked like a boot to me so I passed on it but I did wonder what that was doing with the other stuff. Should I nip back and get it....?

You daft sod, the boot sells for £30+ anyway!

Social source share

Yeah there's lots of Selectadisc pressings there.  But inbetween all the Motown and the junk, I got 3 originals which are "apparently" worth over £125 so...

Pete

Global bought some overstocks from Selectadisc which didn't sell so these would have ended up with Rollercoaster in Stroud .I can't remember exactly what they were but think included some of the MGM Verve reissues. They also would have got quite a lot of mid 60s Motown. 

Rick

Social source share

Pete

Global bought some overstocks from Selectadisc which didn't sell so these would have ended up with Rollercoaster in Stroud .I can't remember exactly what they were but think included some of the MGM Verve reissues. They also would have got quite a lot of mid 60s Motown. 

Rick

Lots of Bluesy/RnB/Duke/Chess and Checker type stuff as well as mainstream U.S. Motown in the stuff I went through too...

Good memory Rick!

Social source share

Lots of Bluesy/RnB/Duke/Chess and Checker type stuff as well as mainstream U.S. Motown in the stuff I went through too...

Good memory Rick!

we have seen out of the past bootlegs of bootlegs they are copying the 70s boots and legal issues ???????????????

Social source share

Good memory Rick!

Yeah , lots of Chess/ Checker/Cadet and yellow Stax but I don't remember Duke labels in quantity. I don't suppose any of the thousands of Precisions- If This Love were left when Global sold up.

Rick

Social source share

Yeah , lots of Chess/ Checker/Cadet and yellow Stax but I don't remember Duke labels in quantity. I don't suppose any of the thousands of Precisions- If This Love were left when Global sold up.

Rick

Remember when you had to force The Precisions on people for 25p in a swap deal just to get rid of 'em?  :lol: 

I was always quite partial to those nice white Canadian Drew copies of "If This Is Love" that were around in quantity too. I saw more copies of the Precisions than most UK hits at the time lol.....

Ian :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete

Rick

Spot on as usual Rick.  Jackie Follett, Robert Banks etc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!