West Java, Indonesia...soul Scene?

• 3 months later...

I am in the process of moving to Jakarta, where I have spent around 5 months each year for the last 6 years.  I would be very suprised if these were ex-pats. There could be a handful of ex-soulies in Jakarta and possibly Bali (which of course, isn't in Java), but I've never met one and certainly I don't believe there are any nights arranged by ex-pats.  Of course there could be some Aussies, or Japanese, soulies that I am unaware of (some Japanese own Café Mondo in Kemang, that has hosted Mod nights).  Certainly the huge warehouse sounds like an urban myth, but the sort of urban myth that comes true in Jakarta.

Youth culture tends to consist of heavy metal and oi, enjoyed by motorcycle riding youths, who have a likeness for slightly goth clothing.  Then, especially in Jakarta, there is a slightly older group into hardcore and Singapore casual fashion.  But there is also a small but growing group (often called hipsters) who are more likely to ride Vespas and look towards UK street fashion.  In Jakarta they are most likely to support Liverpool, the Big Red being a major community.  My step-daughter belongs to this group and studies at Jakarta School or Art.  In Bandung there is a movement called Distro, which started as a local clothing style (sold everywhere in Indonesia), inspired by Man Utd casuals of the 1980s.

From this smaller sub-culture there are a faction involved in scooter rallies in all large cities and some smaller ones across Java (such as Cirebon)  and I think these have now spread to Medan in Sumatra.  The main rallies are on May Day and known as the Mod's Mayday.  The Jakarta Mods Mayday attracts well over 20,000 mods, maybe as many as 100,000.  But you have to keep this in context Greater Jakarta has a population of around 30m, Java of 150m and Indonesia 250m.

Over the years I have tracked these Mods and whilst they certainly look the part (or at least adopt skinhead clothing) their musical taste has consisted of ska and Slade.  However, I have noticed that the Mods favourite dj's (Fever Sound System) have started to play northern soul.  I keep meaning to take my step-daughter to see them, but in a city of 30m, they can often be a long way taxi ride from home.

This is England had a huge influence on the hipsters and my step-daughter was transfixed by the Northern Soul film.  I suspect the film really has kicked off a very underground scene either in Jakarta (the eastern suburbs such as Bekasi and Bogor are in West Java) or Bandung (which is the largest city in West Java), related to the film.  I have no doubt in my mind that Indonesia is going to become one of the most underground and interesting members of our family.  Cast all images of the Pattaya scene behind, this will be 100% young (mostly Muslim) Indonesians, it will be extremely wild, slightly menacing and hedonistic (maybe closest to the Torch).

This is a video by a local group that will give you a feel for the direction (if somewhat sanitised): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGW7WULeM6E.

Edited by Pip Smith
Addition and typos.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!