Chris L

Pc Disc Space Question

I frequently free up space on my disc as I only have 150GB and for some reason that reduces from its "normal" 105 to 80 within a few weeks. If I use the disc clean program there's an option called "System Restore and Shadow Copies" if I use it frees up about 15 - 20GB straight away. What is that and what happens ?

I frequently free up space on my disc as I only have 150GB and for some reason that reduces from its "normal" 105 to 80 within a few weeks. If I use the disc clean program there's an option called "System Restore and Shadow Copies" if I use it frees up about 15 - 20GB straight away. What is that and what happens ?

Windows will often create a Restore Point, especially when installing software. It's mostly 'essential' stuff like drivers etc, but not your documents, photos etc.  If something goes wrong, it theoretically allows you to restore things to a stable working setup. The software deletes all but the last restore point.  In widows explorer right-click on your C drive and select properties > General> Disk Cleanup> More Options> System Restore & Shadow Copies

If you are happy with you system, you can delete all but the last RP. However....

Jan you install A

Feb you install B

March you install C

April you install D

The installation of D makes the system unstable, but you really want to use programme D.

It actually clashes with B, not C. You could restore to Jan (A) and reinstall programme D

In widows explorer right-click on my 'Computer' and select properties. Choose 'System Protection' and select your C drive and click on 'Configure'. Adjust the slider, to say, 5% and it'll not use for than 7.5 gb of your hard drive. However, each new RP will use up disc space by deleting the equivalent of the earliest RP (s)

This might not be quite the same thing, but I've just this week managed to free up loads of space on my hard drive. I had folders from previous installations named "windows old" using absolutely loads of space. Couldn't delete in the advised way with Disc Cleanup, but managed to find a programme called CCleaner to do the job. Really chuffed with myself.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.