New Northern Bar In Brum..anyone Know Anything?

Think Mal C is  getting confused here with Second city soul this is a club run by Kev Higham in the Custard ? (not the factory that's in Digbeth) in Alum Rock and happened a few weeks ago another is planned I understand. the music policy is rare and under played

Social source share

Guys just to let you know had such an overwhelming positive response yesterday, loads of nice comments and messages, we've got some amazing reputable Northern Soul DJs and promoters wanting to get involved & my blog post has had 15,000 views so far.

Northern Fridays will be 100% no gimmicks, no glitterball, original vinyl only and ALL about the music!

Personally I can't wait for Mostly Motown Saturdays, glitterball will be in full effect, I'll be singing along to The Supremes and Four Tops ;)

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

music was great, just couldn't hear it.. issues I'm sure those guys will sort out for next time...

Ah !  That is the must frustrating thing, not being able to hear great sounds !!

Edited by Polyvelts
Social source share

No glitterballs on Northern Soul Nights

No gimmicks 

I'm promoting it, am I Mr Blobby?? :P

Mr Blobby was in reference to another post about a custard factory - I always thought Mr Blobby and Custard went together, never mind, I thought it was funny  :tumbleweed3: 

Anyhow Good luck to all involved (especially the money men/women) if there is anything that is making good bucks today it's entertainment. ( your own clothing line though, will be the kiss of death )

Social source share

Mr Blobby was in reference to another post about a custard factory - I always thought Mr Blobby and Custard went together, never mind, I thought it was funny  :tumbleweed3: 

Anyhow Good luck to all involved (especially the money men/women) if there is anything that is making good bucks today it's entertainment. ( your own clothing line though, will be the kiss of death )

Bit slow on the uptake this morning oops haha!

Edited by Maryam Snape
Social source share

went to mark and kevs night too and was cracking mix of  rare soul..sad that it wasn't well supported but it was the first night and a very busy weekend including a packed soul function down the road which had a lot of the travelling rare soul people...agree there was some sound problems but as you say im sure they will work them out..a good system just needs a little tweeking..and leaving alone! as when we were in their early doors it seemed ok  :thumbsup:

dean

Social source share

Think Mal C is  getting confused here with Second city soul this is a club run by Kev Higham in the Custard ? (not the factory that's in Digbeth) in Alum Rock and happened a few weeks ago another is planned I understand. the music policy is rare and under played

That is confusing with the name, but yes I went to Kev Higham's do at the Custard, which I've been harsh with maybe, it needs the sound system sorting out, big time, as it looked the job but sounded dreadful. On the plus side the drinks were cheap, and with more through the door it would be great...

M

Social source share

Hi, We do the Steppin' Up nights in Selly Oak (a couple of miles from Birmingham city centre), thanks for the mention Maryam btw :) . Since Sept 2012 we've put on around 4 a year, roughly every 3 months. We're a northern soul based do that aims to be a bit different and not too commercial, we play northern oldies, uptempo RnB, rare Motown and 60's mod tunes. I've been collecting soul records since my teens (when I lived up in Manchester)and we've both (myself and my husband Prin) been around on both the northern soul and mod scenes  since the eighties. We are proud that we get a good mix of people and a friendly atmosphere at Steppin' Up and yes Bournbrook and Selly Oak Social where we hold them has a massive sprung wooden dancefloor! Our dates for this year are on the soul source calendar, we've got one coming up next month...  :wink:

Edited by JoPrinsen
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Well I was always led to believe that there was no Soul Scene in Birmingham - though the towns to the north and west of the city - Dudley, Walsall and particularly Wolverhampton have always had a strong following of Soul Music, with plenty of venues over the years.

I've noticed lately that more Soul nights are springing up in Birmingham, so its obviously growing in popularity.

Good luck to this new venture - I'll probably give it a visit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The logo for Night Owl is a pressing lol

That just about sums it up then Ted, Bandwagon, Jump, the, on, springs to mind. It'll go down like a fart in a wetsuit!!!! I remember someone trying it with a Restaurant in Lytham and it sank within 6 month or so. Pity but it's a fact. :facepalm:

Spot. :shades:

Social source share

Hi,

Yes we ran the first Second City Soul event on 18/04/2015.

Its at

Event Address : Second City Soul @ The Custard House, Blake Lane, Bordesley Green, Birmingham, B9 5QT

We had 3 guests, Aaron Turner, John Manship and Paul Ackley.   I posted a sample of the tunes on YouTube for those that wanted a "feel".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYHIk6w3w3I

Originally we envisaged drawing in some of the hipster, mod crowd through links with Rob Glover creating a broad 60ts mix; (Newhampton is very popular locally) but unfortunately Rob has got mega busy and can't be available.

We therefore have turned to the respected John Weston to join the resident team (along with Mark White).  The music has therefore moved too a mix of "Big Oldies" & Rare and Underplayed  - but to be clear guests can play whatever they want.

Being the first we had some teething trouble with the sound which ironically its one of its strengths - the system tested fine in 2 pre-checks and 1 hr before the event ; but on the night we have some annoying feedback which we couldn't isolate and some intermittent sound distortion.  These can be sorted of course.

Its a fabulous venue so we march onto the second.

This is on 25/07/2015 with guests Bob Lee, Greg Belson & Sean Haydon.

Sorry it tuned into a bit of an advert, but yes there is a Rare Soul Event in Birmingham.............

Cheers

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That just about sums it up then Ted, Bandwagon, Jump, the, on, springs to mind. It'll go down like a fart in a wetsuit!!!! I remember someone trying it with a Restaurant in Lytham and it sank within 6 month or so. Pity but it's a fact. :facepalm:

As mentioned previously The Night Owl haven't released the logo yet! If you mean the facebook profile pic that's just a photo of the record label.

At least wait until the logo is released before you slate it

Social source share

Hi, We do the Steppin' Up nights in Selly Oak (a couple of miles from Birmingham city centre), thanks for the mention Maryam btw :) . Since Sept 2012 we've put on around 4 a year, roughly every 3 months. We're a northern soul based do that aims to be a bit different and not too commercial, we play northern oldies, uptempo RnB, rare Motown and 60's mod tunes. I've been collecting soul records since my teens (when I lived up in Manchester)and we've both (myself and my husband Prin) been around on both the northern soul and mod scenes since the eighties. We are proud that we get a good mix of people and a friendly atmosphere at Steppin' Up and yes Bournbrook and Selly Oak Social where we hold them has a massive sprung wooden dancefloor! Our dates for this year are on the soul source calendar, we've got one coming up next month... :wink:

Hi Jo, agree with all that. Nice venue, very nice dance floor, good and interesting range of music, easy to find, friendly folk in, nice hosts (Jo and Prin). We had a great night last one and have the next dates in the diary. Well worth a visit. Ray

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Jo, agree with all that. Nice venue, very nice dance floor, good and interesting range of music, easy to find, friendly folk in, nice hosts (Jo and Prin). We had a great night last one and have the next dates in the diary. Well worth a visit. Ray

Thank you for the great feedback and kind comments Ray. Glad you enjoyed the night, we look forward to seeing you at the next  Steppin’ Up. Thanks for your support :D

Social source share

As mentioned previously The Night Owl haven't released the logo yet! If you mean the facebook profile pic that's just a photo of the record label.

At least wait until the logo is released before you slate it

Can't you read? I was replying to what Ted quoted, so don't start slating people before checking your facts. You'll also notice I said it was a pity the other venture failed, fact of life most Bar's/Pubs are closing down, :yes:

I just can't see this being any different from what's been mentioned but next time we're down Birmingham (Often in fact) we'll give it a whirl. :hatsoff2:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Can't you read? I was replying to what Ted quoted, so don't start slating people before checking your facts. You'll also notice I said it was a pity the other venture failed, fact of life most Bar's/Pubs are closing down, :yes:

I just can't see this being any different from what's been mentioned but next time we're down Birmingham (Often in fact) we'll give it a whirl. :hatsoff2:

I haven't slated anyone! Oh dear misinterpreting each other like nobody's business haha

Have posted the launch weekend stuff in events now anyway :)

Social source share