Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

TailorMade Gaz B

Simply Red...jules Holland

What do we think?

Musically? 

Mick Hucknall's voice?

I think it stands up. Its a strong, soulful voice, especially from a white, Mancunian. Their music is very much 'one for the mums' at times, but he's a soul fan (his Bobby Bland doco/covers etc)

Now I'm asking about his voice...not him or the movement simply red are attached too...what do we think?

Gaz.

Saw him live when he showcased the Bobby Bland tribute album, the guy can certainly wail although I tend to take anything he says about his soul cv with a pinch of salt. Not really a popular guy amongst other musicians either, or band members, hence the constant line up changes.

The Wigan thing is a myth I believe...but so what if he did go?? Freddie Starr popped into the main ballroom after doing a cabaret spot in Mr M's during the early days. Anna Ford the newsreader also went and numerous other celebs...

think thats a matter of opinion he used to go to Wigan so I,m told 

He didn't he admitted that on one of those t.v docs they wheel him out to do which i have never understood why....

The pre-curser to Simply Red, were the frantic elevators. They did holding back the (y)ears, better version of the one released as simply red (nice twangy guitar).

Most early stuff as frantic elevators could be described as punky 60's.

Not that simply red were ever my cup of tea - too smooth for me.

The pre-curser to Simply Red, were the frantic elevators. They did holding back the (y)ears, better version of the one released as simply red (nice twangy guitar).

Most early stuff as frantic elevators could be described as punky 60's.

Not that simply red were ever my cup of tea - too smooth for me.

Saw Frantic Elev's live at Queens Hall Leeds.With Spizzenergi.Among others.

I think he has a good voice, never really liked his I'm special attitude. As for his soul credentials, there a bit wishy washy. He used to lord it around The Ritz alldayers towards the end, claiming to have been everywhere with his bunch of cronies. But no one could ever remember seeing him at any of the claimed events. Was the subject of ridicule from most of the real Manc soul fans. Also remember him get well thumped by some of the Moss Side crew at one alldayer and never saw him out and about again.

Edited by Dave Thorley

always thought he had a bobby sheen "something new to do " type of a voice could see him doing a half descent version of that. saying that ive never really like that song anyways  

He has a good voice but the music is bland middle of the road like something my old mum would put on doing the ironing .

Is he the first ginger soul man ?  :g: 

think thats a matter of opinion he used to go to Wigan so I,m told 

big deal..so did Marc Almond (apparently) and Paul O'Grady and the two Geordie chefs..and of course its a matter of opinion..the original poster asked the question..i replied..simple..

I think he has a good voice, never really liked his I'm special attitude. As for his soul credentials, there a bit wishy washy. He used to lord it around The Ritz alldayers towards the end, claiming to have been everywhere with his bunch of cronies. But no one could ever remember seeing him at any of the claimed events. Was the subject of ridicule from most of the real Manc soul fans. Also remember him get well thumped by some of the Moss Side crew at one alldayer and never saw him out and about again.

he used to stink to high heaven. I'm not a fan.

Saw Frantic Elev's live at Queens Hall Leeds.With Spizzenergi.Among others.

Was that at one of those Futurama all day gigs.

Yep went to the Queens Hall a few times myself, and the bands around that time had some great names, I often wished I was into Half Man Half Biscuit, just because of the name  :) 

Simply Red were/are lightweight pop/soul. Catchy enough, with the odd good melody, but really nothing to get too excited about.

Hucknall is a moderate vocalist with limited power and emotional impact.

Paul Carrack is a much better singer.

Was that at one of those Futurama all day gigs.

Yep went to the Queens Hall a few times myself, and the bands around that time had some great names, I often wished I was into Half Man Half Biscuit, just because of the name :)

. Yes think so. John Lydons mum and dad were there supporting his bro who was in the bollock brothers. Mick Hucknalls a nob.

as well as the Wigan thing..he always trots out the old story about the Sex Pistols in Manchester when only eleven people turned up - been about 200 people on various documentaries claiming they were there!

and OK, he is a half decent singer but come on anyone on here could name 100 better - and why would you need a album of Bobby Bland covers?

Why he is being discussed on a soul forum I'll never know i

i like simply red from a pop music aspect,,seen them twice..say you love me is a personal fave of mine...dont really class them as soul..not sure why anyone would.. each to their own

. Yes think so. John Lydons mum and dad were there supporting his bro who was in the bollock brothers. Mick Hucknalls a nob.

"the bollock brothers" made me laugh that did kev

jason

He's useless and has got nothing to do with soul music. Also, one of those professional Mancunians who support that fucking awful team of cheats who aren't even from Manchester and a man who poses for pictures with the dreadful GPC, Sir Alec Baconface.

Soz!

CTID.

Edited by son of stan

How he never got sued for cloning Ben E. King's Supernatural Thing, I'll never know. Lost all respect for him after that.

Souls singers were always borrowing tunes of each other. It's nothing personal, just making a livin.

Think several NS artists could satisfy the criteria of being a nob so I wouldn't be too bothered about attitude; the question was is he a soulful singer. 

Problem with threads like this is IMHO we put up questions about hucknall and even bloody Sam smith got a mention / thread about their soulfulness etc yet many would completely disregard deep / ballads / etc singers and 45s which have more soul in the first verse than the entire careers of these 'soulful' singers. Sorry but that term gets bandied about on those awful 'talent' shows by people such as simon cowell.... They're pop . Pure pop and have little relevance on soul source. If we want to discuss soulfulness let's talk about Conley Dees Pickett Bland Franklin etc and a myriad of hundreds of under appreciated under paid and long forgotten heroes of real soul music!

Just my opinion of course...

He didn't he admitted that on one of those t.v docs they wheel him out to do which i have never understood why....

Correct.............he said he went to all nighters but not Wigan.

Cheers,

Mark R

Tony Davidson, who many on here should know, was his original manager when he was with with the Frantic Elevators. When you see Tony ask him about Mick H. One story he recounts though is that, before Holding back the Years was recorded, MH used to strum a punky version of it and kept asking Tony what he thought of it. Tony told him to stop being so annoying and that it was shite!

As a delapidated old DJ plying my trade in Manchester cellars for over 30 years...He's paid in to see me lots of times and I've never paid to see him!!!!!

dean

Guest lamont7

Just another Leech!

I remember going to the International, in Mancheste,r to see Curtis Mayfield, some time in the late 80s. Mick Hucknall managed to get himself "invited" on stage to do a bit with Curtis, who had obviously never heard of him and introduced him as "Nick Bucknall". How we laughed!

What do we think?

Musically? 

Mick Hucknall's voice?

I think it stands up. Its a strong, soulful voice, especially from a white, Mancunian. Their music is very much 'one for the mums' at times, but he's a soul fan (his Bobby Bland doco/covers etc)

Now I'm asking about his voice...not him or the movement simply red are attached too...what do we think?

Gaz.

You mischievous tyke, no look what you gone and done ...................... :lol: 

I know we have soul singers dying on a regular basis , but have we really run out of them that we end up discussing the ginger tosser . :g:

Desperate times desperate measures :shhh: not a fan

I remember going to the International, in Mancheste,r to see Curtis Mayfield, some time in the late 80s. Mick Hucknall managed to get himself "invited" on stage to do a bit with Curtis, who had obviously never heard of him and introduced him as "Nick Bucknall". How we laughed!

He did a similar thing when Bobby Womack turned up slightly the worse for wear at the International, allegedly believing that he was turning up for a Personal Appearance rather than a live show. To be fair, he seemed to remember the words better than Bobby that night.

A lad I knew was the original bass player in Simply Red, did all the recording work on their first album and then got sacked because he "didn't fit the image". He had a good word for Hucknall and it wasn't twit.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts