I'm Ready To Dig. Could Use Best Suggestions For Getting Through It-Well

So here's the deal- my midlife crisis has prompted us to sell our house. To get ready for it- the sales agent had me empty my basement. My friend had rented a quite large warehouse, and sublet me an area about 40'x 60'. So I have basically filled that space with records. They are all genres. I think it's time for me to go through it all.

Helpers haven't worked out. Short of looking up every disc- would any of you more experienced record folks share your strategies of eating this elephant. I'm not looking to dump it all. Judging from what I have found in the past-there's at least a strong potential of finding quite rare discs in it. Thanks again -Mark

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Helpers haven't worked out. Short of looking up every disc- would any of you more experienced record folks share your strategies of eating this elephant. I'm not looking to dump it all. Judging from what I have found in the past-there's at least a strong potential of finding quite rare discs in it. Thanks again -Mark

Have a word with Greg Tormo, solidhit on here, he lives in Newark which can't

be that far from you.

He knows his stuff and may be prepared to help.

Social source share

Thank you all so far. Pete- this is probably going to sound dumb... and do what with the video? Post them so anyone interested can view them for gems? Thanks again -m

Yeah exactly, I've made loads of films of record collections for people, just linger on each one for 10 seconds, move on, post on facebook or youtube and get millions of potential customers

Social source share

Started doing some digging- I think I found a pretty interesting little box. Mind you I don't know what any of it sounds like- a few maybe of interest-

eric mercury avco "everybody has/ You bring", fuller bros stranger/I want, (not a soul disc) Christine perfect close to me/id rather go blind. Just thought an update might be in order-m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If I can muster a bit of motivation tomorrow- I might try to put up a few. That one box seemed to be an exception so far. Today I went through some more quickly culled stuff- the only decent money disc today was an early carole king disc.But there was about 50 $10 soul discs that looked quite good.  So I probably have about 200 discs to put up in the near future (so far). I have 2 more small boxes to look up still.   Is there an average of what folks are expecting to pay for a cross atlantic shipping  of a 45? Maybe a dumb question- should I end the soul stuff Sunday night Uk time or US ? Any preferred hour? Thanks again to everyone-m

Social source share

If selling on ebay or similar sites, i always have found it best to be selling/ending on the first/last Sunday of the month depending on where the month ends. I would normally aim at about 7pm gmt/bst. My pal Pete Smith mite disagree with me as he sells a lot more than i do, so only my opinion.

Social source share

Hi Gogs- that helps a lot- thanks :thumbsup:

​I will be putting more re-isues up to end on Sunday 28/6/15 as most folk get paid the last friday of the month. at the end of last month i was getting £20-£30 for something that i advertised as a re-issue.

Social source share

Hey Gogs- that's important stuff (and I didn't know that)- thank you. I stumbled through putting a couple cheapies up today for tomorrow night. As my slower than molasses speed improves- maybe I'll put the somewhat more interesting stuff up for the same weekend. Take care-m

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Sold the house. Got divorced. If anyone remembers- it got weirder :ohmy:

The warehouse I was in is torn down. Moved the "stuff" to a 10' x 40' and a 10 x 30' . The 30' was a one month free deal-  so I filled the 40' completely, along with a small garage at my folks house. My mind might be weak, but my back is getting pretty strong :rofl:

I missed stopping by- hope everyone is well- Mark.

Ps - I may have asked before - I don't remember a lot of lps being discussed hear. Any artists +/ titles I should be looking for? Do any of the V/A from particular

labels have interest? Thanks again -m

Ps2 - that ice 45 looked kind of familiar.

Social source share

12 hours ago, elvisluvs said:

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Sold the house. Got divorced. If anyone remembers- it got weirder :ohmy:

The warehouse I was in is torn down. Moved the "stuff" to a 10' x 40' and a 10 x 30' . The 30' was a one month free deal-  so I filled the 40' completely, along with a small garage at my folks house. My mind might be weak, but my back is getting pretty strong :rofl:

I missed stopping by- hope everyone is well- Mark.

Ps - I may have asked before - I don't remember a lot of lps being discussed hear. Any artists +/ titles I should be looking for? Do any of the V/A from particular

labels have interest? Thanks again -m

Ps2 - that ice 45 looked kind of familiar.

There are many rare and desirable LP's for the soul scene. Its difficult to list them and there are not really any specific labels to look out for, so the easiest thing is to checkout the dealer websites and see what they are selling. You may have a label such as Stang which was mainly a soul output label but only a couple of the LP's are worth any significant money.

The V/A LP's do have some interest, but in general its single artist LP's that maybe have a great track that didn't see a 45 release. So something like the Optimistics on Turbo with the Say It Baby track would be a good example of this.

My advice is look at dealer sites, check ebay "sold items" or Popsike database against anything you find that looks interesting. It should give you a base level to work from.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!