Jump to content
vince ayres

Satans Breed "road Runner"jenges, Anyone Know The True Value Of This 45?

Recommended Posts

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were mine,and was looking to sell JM normally gets the best prices and a world wide aduance,I know Ian Levine got a copy last year but don't know what he paid for it.

 

Dave f.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vince hi,

 

If your selling where will you put it on ebay or elsewhere as Im very interested in it.

Best dallas

I guess i probably put it up on Ebay in the next few days and put a comment up in the relevent section with a link to the sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2015 at 16:30, vince ayres said:

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

About £1.00 now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only people who said the boots originated in the USA are people with now zero credibility so pinch of salt for now, the truth will come out soon. 

Edited by pomonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wiggyflat said:

This is supposedly the boot and all the boots are supposedly originate in the USA

satans breed.jpg

Thank you sir - can't help thinking it's comparing a boot to a boot ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I recall Bob Abrahamian said it was issued under two numbers. One as an A side. One as a B of a different track. One issue was orange the other was light blue. 

Vince, whatever did happen to your copy?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats with the the truth will come out soon bs!!

If you know something spill the beans because this is becoming more than an in the know thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TRICKY said:

Whats with the the truth will come out soon bs!!

If you know something spill the beans because this is becoming more than an in the know thing.

 

I can't help but think, that the bootleg of this is linked to thread about Levine's Soul Pack. The same names seem to be involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

As I recall Bob Abrahamian said it was issued under two numbers. One as an A side. One as a B of a different track. One issue was orange the other was light blue. 

Vince, whatever did happen to your copy?

 

The girl I need side came out twice on this and the blue jenges but credited to dream merchants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cenco said:

The girl I need side came out twice on this and the blue jenges but credited to dream merchants

I think what Bob Abrahamian meant was that that the othe 'blue' label was the 'Renee' [5006] release where 'Roadrunner' is the 'B' side to 'Since you left me' but still credited to 'Satan's Breed' .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cenco said:

The girl I need side came out twice on this and the blue jenges but credited to dream merchants

On the Orange one the The Girl I Need side is a miscredited song title with the recording being a song entitled "Can't Pull Myself" Away. 

Dave

 

Edited by Louise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2015 at 16:30, vince ayres said:

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

Was this the copy found at Austin ? Have you sold it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete S said:

That doesn't look like e recent press

That first E on Jenges at bottom of the label looks slightly smudged in the same way too me on both copies.....could be evident on all proper copies mind, and suppose it's obvious that if the Austin one is a boot then label scans would have been sourced from this copy.

Edited by Mace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2016 at 12:35, cenco said:

Vince found that copy at the Austin record fair

Yes he certainly did and I was there at the time.I was also present later in the day when he was told by someone who found 2 copies the year before and sold one to IL & kept the other for himself.

Edited by Dave Morris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it best that i come on here and put the record straight (pardon the pun). I purchased this 45 at Austin record fair last May for $2.00 along with a handful of other items all under ten bucks from the same seller. I recongnised the label but have never heard this release before and thought it was pretty damn good.
 It wasn't until later in the day that i was playing it to the rest of the British contingent and asking oppinions on it's merit that big Jeff piped up that it's a super rarity as i had no idea. It is ridiculous in the extreme to assume that somehow it is a bootleg (who on earth is going to bootleg a record that next to nobody knows and then sell it for $2.00!) Oh and before anyone asks i was pretty quick in asking if he had anymore copies and he did not. I can only assume therefore that the Wiggyflats copy is an original. So let me see, thats 4 known copies unless a trail of people are going to pile in with there copies of this elusive bootleg that nobody has seen before? Before i sign off i would like to make it clear that i'm not in cahoots with anyone over some dodgy bootleg and that includes Ian Levine who contacted me through this site as he was worried that a load might have turned up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 16:30, vince ayres said:

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

Interesting stuff. I note the titles above and according to the Soul Harmony Singles the Satan's Breed release is listed as 5006 Since you left me / Road Runner, but your copy has The Girl I Need and number 4545.

The Indelgents is a Jenges 4547 number and Harry Moon on Sin is 4553. But the numbering for the other Jenges, Renee and Sin labels all fit together based on a 5**** numbering.

I'd love to know how it all fits together and what about Harry and Vee Vee on Sin 4554............this soul record malarkey's all a bit confusing:g:

Edited by Andy Mac
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Interesting stuff. I note the titles above and according to the Soul Harmony Singles the Satan's Breed release is listed as 5006 Since you left me / Road Runner, but your copy has The Girl I Need and number 4545.

The Indelgents is a Jenges 4547 number and Harry Moon on Sin is 4553. But the numbering for the other Jenges, Renee and Sin labels all fit together based on a 5**** numbering.

I'd love to know how it all fits together and what about Harry and Vee Vee on Sin 4554............this soul record malarkey's all a bit confusing:g:

The 5006 numbering is for the release on Renee according to the discography Andy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, surfcity said:

The 5006 numbering is for the release on Renee according to the discography Andy .

 The SHS book gives it as Jenges 5006, but as its all a bit of mess it may well be on Renee 5006 along with the Dream merchants - Since you left / girl I need  Renee 5006. :g:

I'm going for a lie down :rofl:

 

Edited by Andy Mac
new information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

 The SHS book gives it as Jenges 5006, but as its all a bit of mess it may well be on Renee 5006 along with the Dream merchants - Since you left / girl I need  Renee 5006. :g:

I'm going for a lie down :rofl:

 

:D

Funny how both of them releases on Renee are numbered 5006 .

Just seen a 45 of the Dream Merchants and it's 5002 .

Edited by surfcity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2016 at 17:56, tsu tomatoes said:

For what it's worth, this is Ian's copy:

 

Satans Breed.jpg

No apparent 'swirls' on that one - but appear on the other 2 up the thread .

Can't help thinking this sounds like an unreleased track . Very unusual name for a soul group especially the market they would have been operating in and the fact that there was another 'garage' group of that name  . The 'meep , meeps' don't sound quite right for some reason .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, surfcity said:

Can't help thinking this sounds like an unreleased track . 

I found this link to Million Dollars worth of Soul compilations. Strange that No 1 has un-issued tracks marked as such, but not this track on No. 2

http://doowopnsouloldies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/million-dollars-worth-of-soul.html

Compilation No 2 was around in 2006, so someone in Kalamazoo, Michigan knew of its existence then, but there's been no apparent sign of any until recently. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2016 at 14:59, wiggyflat said:

This is supposedly the boot and all the boots are supposedly originate in the USA

satans breed.jpg

If the bootlegs origins are indeed from the US, where does anyone think they might they have been pressed then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tsu tomatoes said:

If the bootlegs origins are indeed from the US, where does anyone think they might they have been pressed then?

That's if it is a 'bootleg' as such . It could be an unreleased track pressed up on that label because of it's philly credentials . Apparently same group as the Dream Merchants but is bit of a drastic name change for a soul group especially when you are aiming at a teenage market ? Dream Merchants to Satan's Breed ? Could be wrong but have got a funny feeling about this 45 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tsu tomatoes said:

I found this link to Million Dollars worth of Soul compilations. Strange that No 1 has un-issued tracks marked as such, but not this track on No. 2

http://doowopnsouloldies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/million-dollars-worth-of-soul.html

Compilation No 2 was around in 2006, so someone in Kalamazoo, Michigan knew of its existence then, but there's been no apparent sign of any until recently. 

 

That's why I was asking whether anyone owned this 45 in say the 70's or 80's . It would appear the first copies are fairly recentish ? If information on other thread is correct one found by IL and the other by GS . Then the one Vince posted up appeared .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, surfcity said:

If information on other thread is correct one found by IL and the other by GS . Then the one Vince posted up appeared .

GS found both in LA and sold one to IL, then Vince's turned up. GS was in Austin when Vince found it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, surfcity said:

That's if it is a 'bootleg' as such . It could be an unreleased track pressed up on that label because of it's philly credentials . Apparently same group as the Dream Merchants but is bit of a drastic name change for a soul group especially when you are aiming at a teenage market ? Dream Merchants to Satan's Breed ? Could be wrong but have got a funny feeling about this 45 .

The credits on Satans Breed have a huge Philly connection - George Guess and Norman Knox wrote for the Stylistics and Guess had his own output on Pearl Harbour that was recorded at Sigma. Could it just be as some have suggested before that it is the Intruders? It is very close vocally to Little Sonny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tsu tomatoes said:

The credits on Satans Breed have a huge Philly connection - George Guess and Norman Knox wrote for the Stylistics and Guess had his own output on Pearl Harbour that was recorded at Sigma. Could it just be as some have suggested before that it is the Intruders? It is very close vocally to Little Sonny!

That's the first thing I thought - the Intruders .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

×