Satans Breed "road Runner"jenges, Anyone Know The True Value Of This 45?

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 7 months later...
33 minutes ago, TRICKY said:

Whats with the the truth will come out soon bs!!

If you know something spill the beans because this is becoming more than an in the know thing.

I can't help but think, that the bootleg of this is linked to thread about Levine's Soul Pack. The same names seem to be involved.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

As I recall Bob Abrahamian said it was issued under two numbers. One as an A side. One as a B of a different track. One issue was orange the other was light blue. 

Vince, whatever did happen to your copy?

The girl I need side came out twice on this and the blue jenges but credited to dream merchants

• Helpful 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, cenco said:

The girl I need side came out twice on this and the blue jenges but credited to dream merchants

On the Orange one the The Girl I Need side is a miscredited song title with the recording being a song entitled "Can't Pull Myself" Away. 

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

That doesn't look like e recent press

That first E on Jenges at bottom of the label looks slightly smudged in the same way too me on both copies.....could be evident on all proper copies mind, and suppose it's obvious that if the Austin one is a boot then label scans would have been sourced from this copy.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

On 1/24/2016 at 12:35, cenco said:

Vince found that copy at the Austin record fair

Yes he certainly did and I was there at the time.I was also present later in the day when he was told by someone who found 2 copies the year before and sold one to IL & kept the other for himself.

Edited by Dave Morris
Social source share

I thought it best that i come on here and put the record straight (pardon the pun). I purchased this 45 at Austin record fair last May for $2.00 along with a handful of other items all under ten bucks from the same seller. I recongnised the label but have never heard this release before and thought it was pretty damn good.
 It wasn't until later in the day that i was playing it to the rest of the British contingent and asking oppinions on it's merit that big Jeff piped up that it's a super rarity as i had no idea. It is ridiculous in the extreme to assume that somehow it is a bootleg (who on earth is going to bootleg a record that next to nobody knows and then sell it for $2.00!) Oh and before anyone asks i was pretty quick in asking if he had anymore copies and he did not. I can only assume therefore that the Wiggyflats copy is an original. So let me see, thats 4 known copies unless a trail of people are going to pile in with there copies of this elusive bootleg that nobody has seen before? Before i sign off i would like to make it clear that i'm not in cahoots with anyone over some dodgy bootleg and that includes Ian Levine who contacted me through this site as he was worried that a load might have turned up!

Social source share

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 16:30, vince ayres said:

Found a copy recently and can't find much info on it, will probably sell it but don't want to do myself out as it's obviously pretty rare. There are no sales on Popsike and i've heard conflicting values up to £1000's so any info would be appreciated.

Atb

Vince

post-10824-0-11798300-1432826882_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69050600-1432826884_thumb.j

Interesting stuff. I note the titles above and according to the Soul Harmony Singles the Satan's Breed release is listed as 5006 Since you left me / Road Runner, but your copy has The Girl I Need and number 4545.

The Indelgents is a Jenges 4547 number and Harry Moon on Sin is 4553. But the numbering for the other Jenges, Renee and Sin labels all fit together based on a 5**** numbering.

I'd love to know how it all fits together and what about Harry and Vee Vee on Sin 4554............this soul record malarkey's all a bit confusing:g:

Edited by Andy Mac
spelling
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, guest said:

The 5006 numbering is for the release on Renee according to the discography Andy .

The SHS book gives it as Jenges 5006, but as its all a bit of mess it may well be on Renee 5006 along with the Dream merchants - Since you left / girl I need  Renee 5006. :g:

I'm going for a lie down :rofl:

Edited by Andy Mac
new information
Social source share

8 hours ago, guest said:

Can't help thinking this sounds like an unreleased track . 

I found this link to Million Dollars worth of Soul compilations. Strange that No 1 has un-issued tracks marked as such, but not this track on No. 2

https://doowopnsouloldies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/million-dollars-worth-of-soul.html

Compilation No 2 was around in 2006, so someone in Kalamazoo, Michigan knew of its existence then, but there's been no apparent sign of any until recently. 

Social source share

42 minutes ago, guest said:

That's if it is a 'bootleg' as such . It could be an unreleased track pressed up on that label because of it's philly credentials . Apparently same group as the Dream Merchants but is bit of a drastic name change for a soul group especially when you are aiming at a teenage market ? Dream Merchants to Satan's Breed ? Could be wrong but have got a funny feeling about this 45 .

The credits on Satans Breed have a huge Philly connection - George Guess and Norman Knox wrote for the Stylistics and Guess had his own output on Pearl Harbour that was recorded at Sigma. Could it just be as some have suggested before that it is the Intruders? It is very close vocally to Little Sonny!

Social source share

6 hours ago, Quinvy said:

I agree that is a strange name for a group that is singing what is more or less a sweet soul track.

Not so strange a name when you consider that Harry Moon's "Woman's Man" also came out as Harry Moon & The Fide on the 'Sin' label along with a further release Harry & Vee Vee "Without Your Love" (The Harry being Mr Moon himself). With the logo of the 'Sin label being an image of the devil.

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

If the bootlegs origins are indeed from the US, where does anyone think they might they have been pressed then?

Would help if we could get a better photo than that one, it looks like it has the pattern but there's also wear around the centre hole

Social source share

4 hours ago, Louise said:

Not so strange a name when you consider that Harry Moon's "Woman's Man" also came out as Harry Moon & The Fide on the 'Sin' label along with a further release Harry & Vee Vee "Without Your Love" (The Harry being Mr Moon himself). With the logo of the 'Sin label being an image of the devil.

Dave

I didn't know that Dave, that does make sense. :yes:

Social source share

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:20, guest said:

No apparent 'swirls' on that one - but appear on the other 2 up the thread .

Can't help thinking this sounds like an unreleased track . Very unusual name for a soul group especially the market they would have been operating in and the fact that there was another 'garage' group of that name  . The 'meep , meeps' don't sound quite right for some reason .

Cant really be an unreleased track as it appeared in the Soul harmony Singles book and that was published years ago. It may be a strange name but what about Sins of Satan - dance and free your mind - there's another strange one. As Dave W pointed out there is also the 'Sin' label associated with Jenges and Renee where the label is Red with black 'Satan Masks' as the design.

Sin.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Hi Chalky ,

All three of those scans you just posted appear to have the underlying MIS CO stamp , as per the Ra-Sel Magnetics ... have highlighted them here ... :)

56abb52e610ce_DreamMerchantsTheGirlINeed56abb533aae55_DreamMerchantsStop(YBMH)Je56abb528f360f_HarryMoonTheFide.jpg.9820f

Well spotted eagle eye!  I'd never have seen those.  Hard enough to see even with the boxes round them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!