vince ayres profile photo

Satans Breed "road Runner"jenges, Anyone Know The True Value Of This 45?

Look At Your Box vince ayres

Posted

I agree that is a strange name for a group that is singing what is more or less a sweet soul track.

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

there are a lot of records which people never owned in the 70s/80s or even knew existed which have come to light since.  I don't think you can hold that to mean much in this case.  Definitely not a new recording to my ears.

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Quinvy said:

I agree that is a strange name for a group that is singing what is more or less a sweet soul track.

Not so strange a name when you consider that Harry Moon's "Woman's Man" also came out as Harry Moon & The Fide on the 'Sin' label along with a further release Harry & Vee Vee "Without Your Love" (The Harry being Mr Moon himself). With the logo of the 'Sin label being an image of the devil.

Dave

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

there are a lot of records which people never owned in the 70s/80s or even knew existed which have come to light since.  I don't think you can hold that to mean much in this case.  Definitely not a new recording to my ears.

I totally agree - was just seeing if anyone owned the 45 back in the day . No one has mentioned a 'new' recording ?

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Louise said:

Not so strange a name when you consider that Harry Moon's "Woman's Man" also came out as Harry Moon & The Fide on the 'Sin' label along with a further release Harry & Vee Vee "Without Your Love" (The Harry being Mr Moon himself). With the logo of the 'Sin label being an image of the devil.

Dave

Very true and am keeping an open mind . It's just that the picture wiggyflat put up of his copy has the tell tale 'swirls' of new vinyl [from what you can see from the picture mind] The picture Vince put up of the Austin find also has the 'swirls' but in a more 'distressed' state . Obviously very difficult to tell without 45's in your hand but after the last few days I am sure a few red flags went up when viewing both of those copies [pronounced swirls , subdued swirls , barely visible swirls :D] . Trying to establish whether it was 100% issued and then has been booted or was never issued and more recent press put out a la Johnny Watson . Maybe neither .

soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

If the bootlegs origins are indeed from the US, where does anyone think they might they have been pressed then?

Would help if we could get a better photo than that one, it looks like it has the pattern but there's also wear around the centre hole

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Louise said:

Dave

I didn't know that Dave, that does make sense. :yes:

soul source url
Posted

Matt and flat .

250864525642.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Not so easy to tell - but looks matt and flat .

rare-garage-45-vg-irresistable-urge-why-

soul source url
Posted

Matt and flat .

harry-moon-womans-man-jenges.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Looks like 'swirls' and 'sheen' .

56a4e69d0cad0_satansbreed.jpg.4eef17d920

soul source url
Posted

"Swirls" , "sheen" and "ill-defined lettering print"

soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

"Swirls" , "sheen" and "ill-defined lettering print"

Could do with a better scan to be fair WB .

soul source url
Posted
On 1/29/2016 at 14:00, surfcity said:

Matt and flat .

harry-moon-womans-man-jenges.jpg

Scans of both sides of mine.

Harry Moon A .jpg

Harry Moon B .jpg

soul source url
Posted
On 26/01/2016 at 16:34, vince ayres said:

It is ridiculous in the extreme to assume that somehow it is a bootleg (who on earth is going to bootleg a record that next to nobody knows and then sell it for $2.00!)

Probably a good one to do actually . No history . Decent unknown uptempo sound . Let it out onto the market and see if collectors swallow it . First one found for $2.00 . Maybe comes onto the market with a big price tag . Record suddenly has a big ticket value . Then the others from the boot batch drip into the market - always at four figures ? Bear in mind the Four Vandals was..ahem..found in a record store for a'couple of bucks' . Just a scenario like .

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, markw said:

Scans of both sides of mine.

Harry Moon A .jpg

Harry Moon B .jpg

Even better sir ! Definitely matt and flat . No swirls on those 60's 45's .

soul source url
Posted

Yes. Definitely.

soul source url
Posted
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:20, surfcity said:

No apparent 'swirls' on that one - but appear on the other 2 up the thread .

Can't help thinking this sounds like an unreleased track . Very unusual name for a soul group especially the market they would have been operating in and the fact that there was another 'garage' group of that name  . The 'meep , meeps' don't sound quite right for some reason .

Cant really be an unreleased track as it appeared in the Soul harmony Singles book and that was published years ago. It may be a strange name but what about Sins of Satan - dance and free your mind - there's another strange one. As Dave W pointed out there is also the 'Sin' label associated with Jenges and Renee where the label is Red with black 'Satan Masks' as the design.

Sin.jpg

soul source url
Posted

56ab6adf4cafc_DonG.thumb.JPG.251f50f43e256a4e69d0cad0_satansbreed.jpg.4eef17d920

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Mac said:

Cant really be an unreleased track as it appeared in the Soul harmony Singles book and that was published years ago. It may be a strange name but what about Sins of Satan - dance and free your mind - there's another strange one. As Dave W pointed out there is also the 'Sin' label associated with Jenges and Renee where the label is Red with black 'Satan Masks' as the design.

Sin.jpg

Nice one Andy - as have said - open mind . If your right and it was a legitimate 60's 45 then it's probably a case of a straight boot floating around . Nothing to go on as a fairly recent discovery so a boot could sold with virtually nothing to compare it to .

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, surfcity said:

I totally agree - was just seeing if anyone owned the 45 back in the day . No one has mentioned a 'new' recording ?

sorry confused unreleased with new

soul source url
Posted

Some more scans of originals for you to peruse

56abb5291ccd6_HarryMoonTheFide.thumb.jpg56abb52e977f2_DreamMerchantsTheGirlINeed56abb533ce982_DreamMerchantsStop(YBMH)Je

soul source url
Posted

Hi Chalky ,

All three of those scans you just posted appear to have the underlying MIS CO stamp , as per the Ra-Sel Magnetics ... have highlighted them here ... :)

56abb52e610ce_DreamMerchantsTheGirlINeed56abb533aae55_DreamMerchantsStop(YBMH)Je56abb528f360f_HarryMoonTheFide.jpg.9820f

soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Hi Chalky ,

All three of those scans you just posted appear to have the underlying MIS CO stamp , as per the Ra-Sel Magnetics ... have highlighted them here ... :)

56abb52e610ce_DreamMerchantsTheGirlINeed56abb533aae55_DreamMerchantsStop(YBMH)Je56abb528f360f_HarryMoonTheFide.jpg.9820f

Well spotted eagle eye!  I'd never have seen those.  Hard enough to see even with the boxes round them.

soul source url
Posted

It seems to be on the 1st Harry Moon image too , harder to see on the other images but I'll try a little tweaking ... :thumbsup:harry-moon-womans-man-jenges.jpg.040530e

soul source url
Posted
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 17:56, tsu tomatoes said:

For what it's worth, this is Ian's copy:

Satans Breed.jpg

So does Ian Levines own copy have this tell tale stamp under the label or is his a boot as well ?

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Edited by tracey shaw

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, Mace said:

So does Ian Levines own copy have this tell tale stamp under the label or is his a boot as well ?

Need a better quality image , can't enlarge a small JPEG like that without it getting too 'blocky' to see clearly.

soul source url
Posted
46 minutes ago, Mace said:

Just pulled the larger image of Ian's off his FB page , can see no obvious evidence of the underlying stamp on it ... 56abc834aadd8_1924937_10152014734352921_

soul source url
Posted

Just pulled the larger image of Ian's off his FB page , can see no obvious evidence of the underlying stamp on it ... 56abc834aadd8_1924937_10152014734352921_

Oh the irony.................

soul source url
Posted

And the typeface is subtly different too up close , no nice crisp corners as I'd expect to see on an "old'un" ... !56abca5f9bf85_Differentprint.thumb.jpg.a

Hope he didn't pay too much for it ... :wicked:

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Hi Chalky ,

Sterling work Woodbutcher - that has confirmed my suspicions . Certain peoples reaction to this thread were a red flag in themselves as if it had touched a very large nerve .

soul source url
Posted

So if the 3 recent copies are boots, can we assume that it was in fact, never issued then?

soul source url
Posted
30 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

And the typeface is subtly different too up close , no nice crisp corners as I'd expect to see on an "old'un" ... !56abca5f9bf85_Differentprint.thumb.jpg.a

Hope he didn't pay too much for it ... :wicked:

Also, all those other label scans have nice crisp clean centres.....even the ones with label wear......Levines looks rougher cut around the centre hole.......

soul source url
Posted

And on the original images posted on page 1 the labels are clearly lifting and bubbled.

soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, tsu tomatoes said:

So if the 3 recent copies are boots, can we assume that it was in fact, never issued then?

And the pendulum swings back to unreleased  but put out years later on a 45 a la Johnny Watson on Valise .

soul source url
Posted

And on the original images posted on page 1 the labels are clearly lifting and bubbled.

Nothing that a pin inserted under the label round the hole to give it a bit of 'lift' would'nt do .

Oh and a few drops of water to give it some age bubbles maybe ?

1 minute ago, surfcity said:

And the pendulum swings back to unreleased  but put out years later on a 45 a la Johnny Watson on Valise .

soul source url
Posted

The original post on the subject was 28th May 2015 .

The datestamp on the accompanying photo details show that it was taken over two years earlier .... ?

56abd46781b3a_Satansdatestamp.PNG.7aaac1

soul source url
Posted

The original post on the subject was 28th May 2015 .

The datestamp on the accompanying photo details show that it was taken over two years earlier .... ?

56abd46781b3a_Satansdatestamp.PNG.7aaac1

So the picture of that 45 on page 1 [first post] was taken in May 2013 - but according to the poster the 45 was'nt found until 2 years later {May 2015] ? How they manage to photograph a 45 2 years before it was found ? Figure that one out . From page 1 -

'I thought it best that i come on here and put the record straight (pardon the pun). I purchased this 45 at Austin record fair last May for $2.00 along with a handful of other items all under ten bucks from the same seller. I recongnised the label but have never heard this release before and thought it was pretty damn good.'

soul source url
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, tsu tomatoes said:

The song was registered at one time with BMI (I've checked) and also with it's inclusion in the Soul Harmony Singles Book one would assume that one of either Beckman, Hunt or Kline (or all three of them) had a copy in their possession at one time.

Dave

Edited by Louise

soul source url
Posted

it's off a digital camera, not a phone, i for one have never set the date on any digital camera i've owned.

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Louise said:

The song was registered at one time with BMI (I've checked) and also with it's inclusion in the Soul Harmony Singles Book one would asume that one of either Beckman, Hunt or Kline (or all three of them) had a copy in their possession at one time.

Dave

I may be wrong but possibly just because it was registered with BMI and included in SHS book it does'nt mean it was necessarily  released ? They may have just worked off discography's for the book and Satans Breed was listed but never released ? Maybe ?

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, Kris Holmes said:

it's off a digital camera, not a phone, i for one have never set the date on any digital camera i've owned.

Obvious grey area I admit , personally speaking setting the time/date is the first thing I do when setting up a new camera body . 

soul source url
Posted

the circular lines under the label are characteristic of United Record Pressing in Nashville but their stuff can't fool anyone because they all have the small "U" in a circle scratched in the deadwax.

soul source url
Posted

Can't do the highlight boxes like excellent post above but MSCO stamp just below the running time to right under the 's' of 'guess' ? Crisp text and sharp label to centre hole .

14614b4d.jpeg

soul source url
Posted

Had a play and you're spot on , the M jumps right out and the typeface is crispy ... :thumbsup:

56abe37625508_14614b4dmiscorevealed.thum

soul source url
Posted

Had a play and you're spot on , the M jumps right out and the typeface is crispy ... :thumbsup:

56abe37625508_14614b4dmiscorevealed.thum

Bloomin' hell that's clever . Easy to see now :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Light touch with the Emboss filter in "Gimp" ... :)

soul source url
Posted

Well, well, well...look what I found on Adobe Bootfilter......:D

levine-snide-dirty-boot.jpg

soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

It seems to be on the 1st Harry Moon image too , harder to see on the other images but I'll try a little tweaking ... :thumbsup:harry-moon-womans-man-jenges.jpg.040530e

It is definitely there on the Harry Moon. Looking at my scans I posted up earlier, this mark is not visible other than as the faintest of specks. In fact, to be honest, I have never noticed this before - it's so small and just looks like a mark on the label from wear and tear. However, on close examination, it is definitely there and I took a closer pic of it, as below. It is pretty much exactly the same position as on the picture of the copy above. I bought mine off George Mahood maybe 18 months/2 years ago.

Harry Moon (matrix close up).JPG

soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.