Satans Breed "road Runner"jenges, Anyone Know The True Value Of This 45?

8 hours ago, Pga1 said:

I find this really strange. This tune which ain't that good is causing so much drama. If it was a good soul tune fair enough but all you lot are creating some kind of kudos about a garage type of tune (Carolina beach type of tune)  I mean would you buy it really and sit at home and play it ( meep f...king meep) yes it may be dodgy. Ooh it has philly connections. Boot , unreleased, only one original copy etc etc.  let's  get some soul back on here and let the ooh it's rare must be good clan get on with it ( kings new clothes)  I love the people who find real soul tunes £5 -5,000 tunes  lets hear them. Why if my mate plays a great tune no one cares but if dj X  plays it later it's fantastic. Could go on now with a rant about new people- returnees who somehow tend to dictate what we listen to. Hey ho many will know this, play a reoord and they go 'I don't know this and it's shit, few years later same person comes up and says hey mate check this tune out its fantastic and the answer is '?  Cheers

There are people out there who have been on the scene for decades and are not returnees trying to dictate to anyone and we have always been interested in the music rather than the "scene".  In fact its returnees in the main who want to hear the same old , same old ...that why there are so many oldies events with the baggy trouser and beer towel brigade.   Also there are thousands of people on the soul scene and beyond who are collectors and who are interested in labels, groups, authenticity etc. You completely miss the point with your rant, this is not about kudos or bragging rights, the thread is about the rarity/obscurity, the set of labels and their output and the authenticity of said record. If you want to rant about DJ's etc then start your own thread.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

After reading this interesting but depressing thread it seems to me myself and i (personal view only) that,

Has been Levine is once again up to his armpits in underhandedness.Yes he was once a mighty force on the scene but cant take the fact i suspect that he isnt so much now. He pushes 3 hour podcasts with some good and great soul content known to most people who never went away from the scene but makes out they are all the rarest ever.Added to this is just as much pop and garage based drivel the likes of which we havent had to endure since the 70,s.

People are being turned over for serious money on COUNTERFEITS. If they were £10 copies people would moan but say hey ho its always happened.He is playing these on his shows as kudos gathering grails.

Why is it he is deemed bulletproof instead of the right pain that he is.When was the last time anything positive came from his direction.

Rant over.

Tricky

Social source share

Hiya, gimme a break, been out on heavy session and as I said I don' do lol etc and my tongue is still stuck to the side of my mouth. Yes haveheard other band, love all kinds of music inc Philly. Very open minded, love it all. Still not gonna put smiley face etc because my mate says he'll punch me if ever start doing it. So meep meep cheers

Social source share

45 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, gimme a break, been out on heavy session and as I said I don' do lol etc and my tongue is still stuck to the side of my mouth. Yes haveheard other band, love all kinds of music inc Philly. Very open minded, love it all. Still not gonna put smiley face etc because my mate says he'll punch me if ever start doing it. So meep meep cheers

OK fella.

I do agree with you tho about certain DJ's having some sort of kudos and a £5 record becoming a £100 record over night because DJ X played it. Its total BS. However didn't want to divert the thread.

Edited by Andy Mac
Comment added
Social source share

Sorry must mention the dj part was, let's say punter x plays tune loads, some don't like it others do. Then known dj plays it , and suddenly the dislikes become likes. Maybe I crammed too many things in my none rant, rant. Basically all the things mentioned have been spoken about for years and repeated. Cheers

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Sorry, think you misread £5- £5,000 I don't care love em all. The bit about kudos was aimed at satans breed tune ie all this talk is building the record up. Cheers

So you don't like a record you hadn't bothered listening to?

Social source share

I wondered how long it would be before somebody began dissecting the merits of "Road Runner" as a northern spin.

If your a 100mph dancer very little I would assume, yet another one of those chin stroker records i'll bet your saying ?

That aside let's hope the highlighting of the MIS CO stamp will stop less informed buyers getting turned over in  the future. Many Philly 45's that were pressed at Hodges carry this very same stamp for starters John bowie on Merben and Pat & The Blenders on Fast Eddie if anyone want to practice their brass rubbing technique.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Sorry I really don't understand that  ? Do you mean that 'roadrunner' if so, I've heard a fair few times. Would even shake my leg to it and join in with the meep meeps.  Off now to play some tunes and yet more beer. Cheers

Still thought a solid Philly soul record was a "garage or Carolina beach type of thing"...............:lol:

Social source share

On 30 January 2016 at 13:15, Andy Mac said:

No. As per my previous post it has been listed in the Soul harmony Singles book for years and the entries come from peoples collections.

Wouldn't take that book a gospel Andy,as Chalky said plenty of miss listings in there,

there was talk about a second book but with Boba passing away who knows now ?

Dave f......

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Wouldn't take that book a gospel Andy,as Chalky said plenty of miss listings in there,

there was talk about a second book but with Boba passing away who knows now ?

Dave f......

That's true enough Dave as with all these books on the market there are some errors. But thinking about it logically, it has existed in SHS book for years, there must be a recording as its been booted on 45 and appears on a CD I believe, and they have a label that's exactly like the other Jenges 45's I have. OK its easy to photo shop but in the back of my mind I do recall this 45. It was back in the days of the Hollingwood in Chesterfield and Rob Wigley spun the Indelgents as a c/u and showed me what it was. Within a few months of searching I had the Indelgents and Dream merchants on Jenges and I seem to recall that there were other 45's when I looked but I didn't know them. Could be the old mind playing tricks of course....."when I were a lad" :lol:.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The b-side is wrongly titled apparently , plays a 'Dream Merchants track Can't pull myself away ... is also listed as a Renee release , but with a duplicated number 5006 , the other 5006 being another Dream Merchants 45 with the same A-side but with Roadrunner as the different B-side ... ?

Unfortunately SKM doesn't have a Jenges discog to refer to but popsike lists just Dream Merchants , Harry Moon , Indelgents , and The Irresistable Urge on the label , inconclusive  I realise ... https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=jenges&x=26&y=11

A quick search of the Soul Source archive throws up just a couple mentions of Satan's Breed prior to this thread , neither of which enquiry were replied to , another just refers to the 2006 CD that includes the Roadrunner track.

I personally don't believe that the 45 exists in a real form on Jenges , and probably not on Renee either , I certainly don't have any faith in the three copies that have come to light recently .

More research is ongoing , hopefully soon a conclusion can be arrived at.

If anyone out there has a copy of the CD handy , A Million Dollars Worth Of Soul Vol 2 , could they run off a copy of the sleevenotes , might well throw up something new about this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 1/29/2016 at 21:22, Louise said:

The song was registered at one time with BMI (I've checked) and also with it's inclusion in the Soul Harmony Singles Book one would assume that one of either Beckman, Hunt or Kline (or all three of them) had a copy in their possession at one time.

Dave

The excellent book which Dave gives reference to was released in 1998  given the time scale regarding the research and publishing, the track was probably known from at least the mid 90's. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As mentioned earlier, it sounds very like an Intruders record, and even the gimmicky theme is like their records (e.g. referencing Tarzan, Baseball etc).  I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an unreleased Intruders recording that someone pressed up.

The Intruders are still active with some original members.  If anyone had contact details, it would be interesting to ask them if they have knowledge of the recording.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 8 months later...
On 04/10/2016 at 16:09, corbett80 said:

Could there not be some red originals too though Eddie? Didn't Jenges have real red / orangey presses - Indelegents etc?  That first pic at the begining of this thread looks quite different to the later shiny ones...

Looks good on blue though! :)

I doubt it but if one turns up with the stamp under the label etc then I guess we would have to think again. I can't imagine them doing two runs on this release.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 10/9/2016 at 21:22, sjay said:

Ok .if a cracked ,grubby looking copy on the original blue label make £2900....what a better copy (without a crack ) worth???

Probably not too much more but that is the trouble with something so rare, you have to pay a premium for something of lesser quality.  I doubt one in decent nick would fetch much more than 3.5k but who knows?  depends how bad someone wants the disc and how many want it.  Lets face it though it ain't up there with the classics is it?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Interesting , where did this come from if you don't mind me asking ?

And do you have a better quality photo/scan for us please ... :yes:

Sorry its not my copy or scan . It came from someone I know who has it and I got it to put to bed some of the earlier comments saying it didn't exist or was only an orange boot.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 11 months later...
On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:28, WoodButcher said:

The seller was offered far less than that sometime ago when discussing it with a UK collector. My advice, based on current interest, was to put it on Evilbay as prices are bonkers....not 20K bonkers...but he would get higher than offered. My guess was he'd get 5K plus... so not a million miles out in the end.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!