Happy Playing Mp3's And Cd's Nottingham

I'm posting this in here as it's more about what these two guys have to say than the actual event - hope that ok. Not bothered about ovo, and happy to play cd's and mp3s. Does anyone know them? I don't but I'm way out of everyone's loop.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/Riverbank-hosts-soul-pop-party-Geno-Washington/story-26591720-detail/story.html

Peter

Social source share

Here we go, here we go, here we go. :yes:  Hope your ok Pete, Di sends her best

:hatsoff2: Just thought it was interesting - just up the road from me which is why I spotted it.

Great to hear from you and Di, Harry. Sending you all my love.

Pete

:thumbsup: 

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What with the Morris Dancers vs. Northern dancers, dance lessons on Youtube, the Comedy Carpet and everything else, I'm long past caring about what goes on outside of the places I want to go. It's a different planet as far as I'm concerned, and about as inaccessible for me as well.  

Carry on. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guy round my way plays of MP3 and CDs " Let us know what you want me to play and I,ll download it for you " :ohmy: needless to say ..................................

Thankfully there are still  some DJs locally that still do things the right way :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'm posting this in here as it's more about what these two guys have to say than the actual event - hope that ok. Not bothered about ovo, and happy to play cd's and mp3s. Does anyone know them? I don't but I'm way out of everyone's loop.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/Riverbank-hosts-soul-pop-party-Geno-Washington/story-26591720-detail/story.html

Peter

they sound like a pair of dickheads imo

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I think if young people are to get into Northern Soul, all formats will be used. What young person could build up a collection of classic vinyl from nothing now? Just my humble opinion. :)

I agree, it will be on their own terms not ours.

Social source share

I've never understood the disdain some people have towards digital formats.

We all know that vinyl played over a good sound system is the best way to listen to music, but cd and mp3 have their place and can happily co exist with vinyl. 

It really is all down to the music. I'd rather hear a digital version of a great track, than not hear any version at all as the rare vinyl wasn't available.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some mp3's are better quality than some vinyl though

relating to this situation id say its very unlikely they will sit for an hour or two mastering each individual file if they are taking this kind of shortcut to start with. 

Social source share

Probably not but you never know

one thing i do know is that my tinnitus sodden ear brain combo will decode one bar of music from a poor mp3 file then walk me straight back out through the door. 

may as well use Sonos or some similar arrangement and not pay a DJ at all. 

Social source share

Amusing to see a few bars / pubs in our vicinity now advertising that they have turntables / play ' real vinyl '  ...Oh FFS we never left it - maybe the novelty of the laptop DJ is on the wane. Vinyl the new trendy ' must have ' for wannabees..... :yes: 

A vinyl record is a handwritten letter A digital download is a text message

Social source share

Peter

The landlord in my local uses spotify to play tunes on Fridays/Saturdays.

Sometime he asks me to look after it while he mingles and has a couple

of pints.

Strangely enough the next hour's playlist features almost

exclusively Northern/Crossover/Sweet and some funk, i think

he's starting to not believe me when I say " that I can't operate spotify".  :wicked: 

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Kegsy, on 29 May 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

The landlord in my local uses spotify to play tunes on Fridays/Saturdays.

Sometime he asks me to look after it for a while he mingles and has a couple

of pints.

Strangely enough the next hour's playlist features almost

exclusively Northern/Crossover/Sweet and some funk, i think

he's starting to not believe me when I say " that I can't operate spotify".  :wicked: 

Your ahead of the game me old mate. I don't even know what spotify is! :dash2:

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter

We Got Soul, Riverbank Bar & Kitchen, Trent Bridge, Friday May 29, 8pm to 2am, £10/£15 or £40 VIP

I was thinking it was a free event and good luck to them and such, but it isn't. Ergo chancey w@nkers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

We Got Soul, Riverbank Bar & Kitchen, Trent Bridge, Friday May 29, 8pm to 2am, £10/£15 or £40 VIP

I was thinking it was a free event and good luck to them and such, but it isn't. Ergo chancey w@nkers.

Not far from the Britt ! Now that was a good night !!!

Social source share

I don't think anyone has suggested that anyone is being mislead.

:sleep3:  :sleep3::thumbsup:  

It's inevitable..........even unstoppable............... if its an event as described, hard to have an issue with (the argument that it degrades the ovo vinyl scene is true and valid as ever but in my experience its parallel worlds) ..........  :thumbsup:

Social source share

RareMusicDirect, on 29 May 2015 - 1:03 PM, said:

It's inevitable..........even unstoppable............... if its an event as described, hard to have an issue with (the argument that it degrades the ovo vinyl scene is true and valid as ever but in my experience its parallel worlds) ..........  :thumbsup:

As I said at the beginning of the thread I wasn't really intending to comment on the actual event - rather what the two geezers had to say etc. And to see if anyone knew them - just out of interest. I live in Nottingham so it may have been of more interest to me but the thread has generated some discussion.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd rather have someone playing first-rate Northern off a CD or mp3 than someone playing second or third rate Northern off original vinyl. Seems many care more about the music's format than the quality.

that's like saying i'd rather eat cat shit than dog shit cos it's less smelly; best to eat neither isn't it?

Why offer any argument for anything that isn't first-rate music off original vinyl. There's a lot of people doing just that, anything less is...well, less.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Exactly. just some more chancers running just another scam.

The reason they're not concerned about format isn't some noble crusade to 'get the music to the people', or some anti-materialist stance. Been hearing that same shit for years, all off people who simply want to make money off boots or be trendy djs but don't want to commit any expenditure or effort. Simple as that.

There's about 1,000 dos on every weekend in the uk, and that's the ones playing proper records.

It's almost too easy nowadays to buy a collection of classic originals - as proved by the fact so many have done it - so really, how easy do these want it. 

There simply is not any scenario left in the world that requires more DJs, let alone ones with zero record collecting experience and therefore zero knowledge. At best, they will offer a similarly predictable and stagnant output to the wedding dj type

#Wot-ee-sed.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know Paul Dallison and I've met Jim Walters , both will be playing OVO in th e70's, x/over room  ,  Paul was a guest on Chris Andertons Dab-of-Soul radio show a fortnight ago . As for the others , well just like a lot of the band-wagon jumpers , they will play anything just to make a name for themselves . It happens all over the East Midlands . We have even got All-nighters playing club classics under the banner of rare soul . But hey-oh , I have gave up on the Northern scene . It's worse now than it was when I packed up in 74 .Thank god for the more progressive soul front .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

that's like saying i'd rather eat cat shit than dog shit cos it's less smelly; best to eat neither isn't it?

Why offer any argument for anything that isn't first-rate music off original vinyl. There's a lot of people doing just that, anything less is...well, less.

Speaking of cat and Dog S**t, I note they have 70's Xover room and that will be OVO. :yes:  

OVO is not necessarily a tasty treat. :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Mp3s and Cds are ok for playing in your car, if it was acceptable to play them out then all of us could be djs, I personally don't have a record collection and have respect for most djs who have spent a lifetime collecting vinyl, they have earned the right, I don't believe the excuse that its a good way to get young blood into "the scene", there is a group of young people in wigan that play OV in their own club, i'm sure that if other youngsters where that interested then they could do the same.

• Helpful 1
Social source share