MBarrett

Matt Or Silk Paint

Would be grateful for any comments or suggestions here.

My hall, stairs and landing have been replastered and are now ready for painting. I'm going for a light grey colour all through. The decorator says best to use silk paint as it is better protection against small knocks etc. But I've always associated silk paint with kitchen and bathroom and would have thought that matt would look better.

Anybody care to comment as I've only got one chance to get this right. :)

Thanks

1st coat needs to be a watered down "mist coat" on new plaster.

I prefer matt finish,I think silk tends to show the brush / roller marks more than matt, matt gives a flatter appearance which I like.

New plaster is best with matt as it allows the plaster to breath, silk would seal it which you would not want as it will trap moisture behind the paint.

Edited by martyn pitt

if its an older property..before 1970 ..beware of vinyl paints ..............especially if you have sand and cement render or older gypsum plaster ,bonding,browning etc on the walls..........or carried out  recent damp proofing works....let  the walls breathe....ez

Personally I would give a mist coat (watered down or cheap) paint preferably a Matt as it will soak in and help the plaster breath and seal.  Majority of Matt paints will mark and you can't wipe or clean it clean.  Silk is more durable and most you can wipe clean.  A good alternative is a Vinyl Matt paint.  Always buy a decent brand as it should cover in 2 coats and have more pigments and have a deeper colour and better finish.  Don't paint a vinyl silk directly onto fresh plaster it never really grips like a Matt paint does.  If in doubt go to a decorating shop like Brewers and ask their advice on paint etc.  

if the plaster is new you want a paint that breaths so it can dry out or leave it awhile before painting if it seals it.

One other point if you use VINYL silk make sure that its ORIGINAL VINYL silk ONLY,

Personally I would give a mist coat (watered down or cheap) paint preferably a Matt as it will soak in and help the plaster breath and seal.  Majority of Matt paints will mark and you can't wipe or clean it clean.  Silk is more durable and most you can wipe clean.  A good alternative is a Vinyl Matt paint.  Always buy a decent brand as it should cover in 2 coats and have more pigments and have a deeper colour and better finish.  Don't paint a vinyl silk directly onto fresh plaster it never really grips like a Matt paint does.  If in doubt go to a decorating shop like Brewers and ask their advice on paint etc.  

I asked the question at B&Q,but they just glossed over it.

Get some woodchip wallpaper on there.  Timeless elegance.

There was plenty of that when I started this project Steve - hiding a multitude of problems. Anyway it's all off now and all the old plaster has been sorted out. I'm rewallpapering ( not woodchip :no: ) in some rooms but thought I would go with paint through the hall stairs and landing. This has been a BIG project, outside and in, and I've set a deadline for August Bank Holiday to have it finally done and dusted. I think they'll be wheeling me out in a box before I take on this kind of project again. LOL :D

Thanks guys for all your replies. A bit of a split decision but enough votes for the Silk that I will probably take my decorator's advice and go with that. The plastering was actually done in 2014 ( :ohmy::yes: ) and has now had a "mist" coat so all that is taken care of. We are using Johnstone's paint which I think is a decent enough brand. 

So hopefully painting can go ahead next week.

Thanks again.

MB

I've recently used Crown Extreme Clean scrubbable Matt. It has a very light sheen to it, covers like a dream and removes 3 messy kids hand prints and wet shaking dog splashes, a treat.

Find a local Crown paint centre, as the website doesn't show the full range of colours.

As has already been said above; Watered down cheap emulsion for your mist coat and off you go.

Bear in mind that if you do for a silk finish now, at some point in the future you may have to lightly sand the walls down again as the new paint could 'craze'

Edited by tsu tomatoes

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.