Midnight " Keep On Walking "

Simon M

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not sure Simon but perhaps you could help me with this.

Traded a few things with Sam the other night & tucked amongst a pile of records was a copy of It's Never Too Late - Midnight on Canadian Unison.

Same group? any info?

Also relieved him of a copy of The Hidden Secret - Jeff Smith & Universe (old Clifton Hall c/u) & a copy of Girl I Been Watching You - Cortez.

Any info r/e value's etc would be most welcome.

Mart...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not sure Simon but perhaps you could help me with this.

Traded a few things with Sam the other night & tucked amongst a pile of records was a copy of It's Never Too Late - Midnight on Canadian Unison.

Same group? any info?

Also relieved him of a copy of The Hidden Secret - Jeff Smith & Universe (old Clifton Hall c/u) & a copy of Girl I Been Watching You - Cortez.

Mart...

The Midnight on Ariola was not a real group but, rather, a collection of three session singers, two guys and a girl. I think that its membership might have included Tony Jackson, of "Secretly In Love" fame, and Sylvia Mason James of Sylvia and the Sapphires.

As I say, they were a 'made up group', specifically 'formed' to sing and promote the other side of "Keep On Walking By" - which was a failed Eurovision Song Contest entry for that year (honest to God, I can remember them singing it on the "Song For Europe" programme where viewers vote of the song that will represent "Us" as Eurovision.

I don't therefore think that the group on the Canadian label is the same one...

TONE :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

The Midnight on Ariola was not a real group but, rather, a collection of three session singers, two guys and a girl. I think that its membership might have included Tony Jackson, of "Secretly In Love" fame, and Sylvia Mason James of Sylvia and the Sapphires.

As I say, they were a 'made up group', specifically 'formed' to sing and promote the other side of "Keep On Walking By" - which was a failed Eurovision Song Contest entry for that year (honest to God, I can remember them singing it on the "Song For Europe" programme where viewers vote of the song that will represent "Us" as Eurovision.

I don't therefore think that the group on the Canadian label is the same one...

TONE :unsure:

....and if I rememebr rightly the official A side isn't too shabby either. Kenny Lynch production?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

....and if I rememebr rightly the official A side isn't too shabby either. Kenny Lynch production?

...You're quite right on both counts, mate...

I don't have the Midnight 45 anymore , so I can't remember when "Don't Bother To Knock" was a Eurovision contender, but I have a feeling it was the year of Buck's Fizz - which poses the question:

If "Don't Bother To Knock" had won the "Song For Europe" contest and, subsequently, the Eurovision Song Contest, would "Makin' Your Mind Up" now be changing hands for considerable sums of money instead :thumbsup: ...

TONE :D

Social source share

I don't have the Midnight 45 anymore , so I can't remember when "Don't Bother To Knock" was a Eurovision contender, but I have a feeling it was the year of Buck's Fizz - which poses the question:

If "Don't Bother To Knock" had won the "Song For Europe" contest and, subsequently, the Eurovision Song Contest, would "Makin' Your Mind Up" now be changing hands for considerable sums of money instead :thumbsup: ...

:D
Social source share

You mean to tell us that "Makin` up your mind" isn`t changing hands for large sums !! Damn, i`ll have to remove those copies from my sales box now !

Mark

Social source share

midnight were 2nd runner up in the 1978 song for europe. the winner that year and our eurovision entry was the very dire bad old days, by the group co-co. this was also released in the uk on ariola.needless to say it dint do very well in the eurovision song contest

midnight had another exellent single released on the uk magnet lable in 1979 called,.loves gonna hit you like a bullet b/w minute to midnite. both sides are quite good.

best, bri. :thumbsup:

Social source share

midnight were 2nd runner up in the 1978 song for europe. the winner that year and our eurovision entry was the very dire bad old days, by the group co-co. this was also released in the uk on ariola.needless to say it dint do very well in the eurovision song contest

midnight had another exellent single released on the uk magnet lable in 1979 called,.loves gonna hit you like a bullet b/w minute to midnite. both sides are quite good.

best, bri. :thumbsup:

Hi Bri :unsure:

See you & a few others seem to be experts in all things Eurovision :lol: .

Always said your bro's taste was better than yours :P:P

Thankfully the Midnight record i aquired has no such connections but i'd still like to know what it's worth (not that it's for sale as it's rather good).

You can have a listen here on Lotusland's site https://www.lotuslandrecords.net/

Just click on 45s & scroll down the page.

See you & your kid on Friday at the Pond mate :yes:

Mart...

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Remember finding mulitple copies of this in Rhyl in the 80's. It was covered up and the time as it was a big unknown sound in the Nottingham area, I can't remember who it was covered up as at the moment or who was playing it. I had my own copy covered up at the same time and remember changing it to the same name as the Nottingham cover. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mart...

Mart, I would say Jeff Smith is about £100 although I've seen it for more. Cortez is a 90's indie with virtually the same backing track as Arnold Blair, probably about £20. Girth would know.

Jordi

Social source share

Mart, I would say Jeff Smith is about £100 although I've seen it for more. Cortez is a 90's indie with virtually the same backing track as Arnold Blair, probably about £20. Girth would know.

Jordi

Cheers Jordi :yes: Roughly tallies up with what others have told me.

Still got no info on Midnight - It's Never Too Late yet though.

Mart...

Social source share

Hi Simon,

italian press on 'Durium' included in the Rimini fund-raiser cd 2006

the scan at https://www.gambettolasoulcity.net/scan.htm

I think quite rare this one,more rare than UK press but I wouldn't know the value ,

perhaps around £100..

cheers,

Cristian.

might be interesting for some, that the "hansa" logo you see on top of the "durium" scan was the german label for "KOW". so i guess durium licensed it from german hansa and not from UK ariola...

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Jordi

:lol: About that

Social source share

might be interesting for some, that the "hansa" logo you see on top of the "durium" scan was the german label for "KOW". so i guess durium licensed it from german hansa and not from UK ariola...

Benji I think you're right,also there are several 'durium' 45s licensed by 'hansa' but not so good unfortunately!

cheers

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Remember finding mulitple copies of this in Rhyl in the 80's. It was covered up and the time as it was a big unknown sound in the Nottingham area, I can't remember who it was covered up as at the moment or who was playing it. I had my own copy covered up at the same time and remember changing it to the same name as the Nottingham cover. :thumbsup:
Finally remember what Midnight was covered up as it was KEEP ON WALKING by RON INGRAM, anyone remember it being played as this? :thumbsup: Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

not strictly true. i reckon hansa is just ariola,s parent company. hansa had the distribution all over europe :thumbsup:

best, bri.

ariola and hansa were both separate sub-labels to BMG Germany. in the 70s the collaborated under the name of "ariola-hansa" all over europe but operated from germany, hence my assumption that the italian release of KOW was licensed from germany.

i reckon, as the rights to KOW were owned by BMG Germany back then and they did a centralised licensing, that infact all worldwide releases of KOW were licensed from germany (even though it was a UK recording).

so next time you're on the dancefloor think "thanks to them krauts" :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have this somewhere..bought it hoping it was like 'Keep on Walking' but don't remember it so must dig it out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!