Promoters And Djs Be Aware Of Liam Taylor

I know what they're like down there Lee, have DJed at Newquay, WSM, and Bridgewater. I know the last two are considered as London as far as Cornwall is concerned, but much the same spirit exists. SW soul fans excellent folk.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Glad to hear you have sorted it all out mucker.

Good luck with your nighter  :thumbsup: 

Trout Out

Social source share

I was lured in like Lee. Did a couple of smaller events with Mr Taylor in Chester, and fell into co-promoting the first All Dayer in Chester Guildhall.

On the Friday before the event I was paid £500, as Mr Taylor had cashed out the box office, taking over £2100.

On the morning of the event I was told that he had no money at all. My wife had to withdraw £900 to cover venue hire, security and DJs. Mr Taylor then asked for £30 from the meagre door sales for his train home.

To my bones I am gutted I never warned Lee, but Taylor is very plausible. I got a bit back, but am still owed over £500. I was told that I would be paid by his share of the profits for Plymouth and St Ives.

I was strung along by a conman and now feel like a proper lemon. Like Lee, me and my friends are in it for the music and, prior to this, naively believed everybody on the scene was the same.

Not any more unfortunately.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I was lured in like Lee. Did a couple of smaller events with Mr Taylor in Chester, and fell into co-promoting the first All Dayer in Chester Guildhall.

On the Friday before the event I was paid £500, as Mr Taylor had cashed out the box office, taking over £2100.

On the morning of the event I was told that he had no money at all. My wife had to withdraw £900 to cover venue hire, security and DJs. Mr Taylor then asked for £30 from the meagre door sales for his train home.

To my bones I am gutted I never warned Lee, but Taylor is very plausible. I got a bit back, but am still owed over £500. I was told that I would be paid by his share of the profits for Plymouth and St Ives.

I was strung along by a conman and now feel like a proper lemon. Like Lee, me and my friends are in it for the music and, prior to this, naively believed everybody on the scene was the same.

Sounds like a right wrong un......

Social source share

oh well mark, that's why we were sucked in, our love of  our scene and faith in our counter parts.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I'd Like to warn people of the actions of Liam Taylor aka Sold as Soul Club.

I run several events in the South West, i entered into a co promoting partnership earlier this year with Mr. Taylor putting on what was planned to be 3 all nighters at the Guildhall plymouth.

The 1st event was a smash, great feedback and great interest in the 2nd event, the 2nd event being tomorrow, well it is again as Plymouth city council cancelled yesterday, when i rang to ask why

i was informed the venue wasn't paid for and the money for the first event in feb hadn't ben paid either.

I had been in charge of bookjing d.js and providing the p.a. etc Liam dealing with the financial side.

we have had to stump up the best part of a thousand pounds to get Plymouth council back on track and allow the event to go ahead, and also the August event, Liam Taylor has also received several hundreds of pounds in ticket sales which he has taken from the box office.

I have now been contacted by Mark Howell who runs the Chester alldayer who informs me Liam Taylor owes him hundreds of pounds too and had assured him he would get his money from the profits from the Plymouth Nighter and St ives all dayer.

if you are a Promoter or D.j. with future work or events planned that have anything to do with Liam Taylor i suggest yo contact him and get paid up front.

I hav e- mailed him,texted, phoned,facebook messaged, short of carrier pigeons i've  tried every means of communication all ending with a blank.

The Plymouth nighter is going ahead thank's to the amazing solidarity of the wonderful southwest soul family who i both thank and salute for their efforts.

See you at the Guildhall tomorrow 30/5/2015

Thank you

Lee Vowle

Soul on Wax events

I don't know Liam Taylor but I have dealt with you Lee in the past and found you to be very straight and easy to deal with. Really sorry to hear of your nightmarish situation,its dreadful to be taken in by people you trusted. Anyway, I'd just like to wish you all the best with your promotions in the future and I hope tonights Allnighter goes with a bang for you….

Sock it to em !

All the best, Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Nope, we`ve been intouch with the ticket outlet, and they are aware of this and have put all the ticket monies on hold, so they can`t be drawn out by Liam. So people can get refunds, Been intouch with the Riley smith hall, no deposit has been paid on the venue, ive sent messages through all his contacts, his mobile is on answer phone a few of us have left messages to contact us, to no avail. Ive put a statement on the facebook events page with a link to this thread, advising people not to buy any more tickets, he got me to start up for him because he evidently couldn`t do it from his work. Very clever that one, he was even at our event in York last week, putting flyers out. Thank god he never had any tickets with him there to sell. Nice guy here who will do anything for anybody if asked. Thanks for posting the thread up, we would have never known. I`ll keep you informed of any developments. All the best-H

seems like a carbon copy of my  state of affairs concerning mr. taylor, yes i rang the riley smith hall 1st thing yesterday and

gave them the heads up.  he managed to withdraw monies for 38 ticket sales from my plymouth event, that coupled with the £900 we had to pay the venue  left me with big losses on the night last night, oh well some you win.

Social source share

I don't know Liam Taylor but I have dealt with you Lee in the past and found you to be very straight and easy to deal with. Really sorry to hear of your nightmarish situation,its dreadful to be taken in by people you trusted. Anyway, I'd just like to wish you all the best with your promotions in the future and I hope tonights Allnighter goes with a bang for you….

Sock it to em !

All the best, Ivor

cheers ivor, the kind words are much appreciated mate.

Social source share

I take it the ST Ives promotion is Cornwall and not Cambridgeshire?  Maybe he should be paid a visit on his next promotion  :wicked: 

yes bud cornwall, tens of dj's gonna be well pissed off, and i pity those folk who have booked digs, st ives is not cheap in july, i hope not too many people lose money.

Social source share

Have a good one Lee. You deserve it mate. From a fellow Foxile!

hey old salty balls, good to hear from you bud, hey what about the great escape then, i was pearson out all season 'til the last 8 games, pearson for england ;-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dean, he was approaching me beginning of the year, in fact he came to Bristol one Sunday along with his so called girlfriend to meet myself and Rowena, he wanted me to co- promote a Soul night, of all places the Colston Hall!.. 5k up front to secure the venue apparently. We have good nights here but no way would you get returns on a venue of that size. All a bit of a SCAM in the making!! Me thinks!

Social source share

Bizarre that he's got so far with limbs and other extremities intact, especially on a scene like this. Where's that old 'you wouldn't waltz around the Torch' spirit that Tezza spoke about? Red eyed, tongue lolling beasts lurking in alcoves etc etc. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bizarre that he's got so far with limbs and other extremities intact, especially on a scene like this. Where's that old 'you wouldn't waltz around the Torch' spirit that Tezza spoke about? Red eyed, tongue lolling beasts lurking in alcoves etc etc. 

Seems to me like Mr Taylor moves around a bit, Cornwall, Bristol, Cheshire, N. Yorkshire.  I assume he's not a member on here otherwise he'd have realised that once someone has posted about his misdemeanours, the whole scene quickly becomes aware.  Let's hope the boys in blue catch up with him before he moves onto another music scene.

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

In my limited experience of people like him,he wont lose any sleep over this,or in fact think he's done wrong.Even with a custodial sentence i doubt if he'll become a good 'un.

Scamming the soul scene one minute - credit card scams the next,who knows.Anything to make a quick quid without any hard graft.A serial offender.?

Social source share

Seems to me like Mr Taylor moves around a bit, Cornwall, Bristol, Cheshire, N. Yorkshire.  I assume he's not a member on here otherwise he'd have realised that once someone has posted about his misdemeanours, the whole scene quickly becomes aware.  Let's hope the boys in blue catch up with him before he moves onto another music scene.

I sent a message to the starter of the Riley smith hall event. Sarah Harrison, who I believe to be Liam, looking at his/her profile, with a link to this thread. The message has been read, but no reply. Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Hells Bells - this isn't just a case of a few bob here an' there - we're talking a large amount of money duped by a repeat offender.

Call me old fashioned but it sounds like a case of straight forward fraud - have any of the promoters been in touch with the Police at all?

Derek

hi derek, yes mate got police and fraud action team involved today bud.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i've just received the figures from the box office, we use the same one as joint promoters for plymouth, he uses it for all the events he has been promoting

he has withdrawn against a the st ives ticket sales £2,886 pounds on may 16th £380 pounds for plymouth tickets,

i guess he will have done tadcaster a similar turn.

he's scum.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I sent a message to the starter of the Riley smith hall event. Sarah Harrison, who I believe to be Liam, looking at his/her profile, with a link to this thread. The message has been read, but no reply.

the sarahharrison account had been recently renamed to soulassoul by someone

did have a pm from that account with the author claiming to be sarah harrison and  saying that wasn't aware liam taylor had access and was using it for promotion

have just closed this and another similar named account

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i've just received the figures from the box office, we use the same one as joint promoters for plymouth, he uses it for all the events he has been promoting

he has withdrawn against a the st ives ticket sales £2,886 pounds on may 16th £380 pounds for plymouth tickets,

he's scum.

Was lucky with the tadcaster one, as none had been withdrawn from that account, and the box office froze the account so he couldn`t draw any money from that one. I`m sure he would have done, if you guys had not brought it to our attention. So many thanks for that.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

the sarahharrison account had been recently renamed to soulassoul by someone

did have a pm from that account with the author claiming to be sarah harrison and  saying that wasn't aware liam taylor had access and was using it for promotion

have just closed this and another similar named account

I did hear he had been using an ex girlfriends name on various websites,this could be her

Social source share

Guest Dale

he's scum.

Pm'd ya Lee

Social source share

• 4 months later...

I think this chap may be trying to muscle in on the ska, reggae and scooter scene now.

Had a message on Facebook from someone called "Crewe Dub Club" wanting me to play for them but he needed a large deposit up front to cover the venue and equipment costs.

I remembered this thread and reckon it may be the same guy as he's been around Cheshire.

He didn't even tell me the date or time or venue for the event, just kept hassling me for money for a deposit.

I may not be MENSA material but I'm not a dummy either, when he wouldn't give me any firm details of the event I deleted him.

So if you DJ on the ska or scooter scene, watch out!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this chap may be trying to muscle in on the ska, reggae and scooter scene now.

Had a message on Facebook from someone called "Crewe Dub Club" wanting me to play for them but he needed a large deposit up front to cover the venue and equipment costs.

I remembered this thread and reckon it may be the same guy as he's been around Cheshire.

He didn't even tell me the date or time or venue for the event, just kept hassling me for money for a deposit.

I may not be MENSA material but I'm not a dummy either, when he wouldn't give me any firm details of the event I deleted him.

I saw that Gord.  Who in their right mind asks someone to dj for them but then says the dj has to pay to play?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good call BG. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!