Worst Cover Up Attribution?

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

What's the worst made up artist name (or title) that has been used for a cover up?

My vote goes to Gloria Scott 'A Case of Too Much Lovemaking' which was c/u as being by 'The LA Lady' Rubbish!!! Lol!!!

Social source share

Guest Michael Wilkins

Not Sure if this is the right place for this question, but have peoples attitude to cover ups changed now bearing in mind that back in the 60's + 70's, we were jusy kids and not savvy to the hardships black people were faceing in the states and that? they might have been depriveing some poor black guy of some roylalites?

Social source share

Think it was more a case of DJ's protecting their 'exclusive' sounds rather than a way of avoiding royalties.

More questionable has always been the subject of the myriad of bootlegs produced over the years , probably even more questionable at present given the dire straits that Detroit has been in of late.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

always thought the Belita Woods cover-up was the most disrespectful of the lot - she was still alive and kicking and very much an active performer - I saw her with Clinton in Newcastle - what right have you got to use someone elses Name? if you must do it (cover-up) at least use a bit of creative imagination I say....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

always thought the Belita Woods cover-up was the most disrespectful of the lot - she was still alive and kicking and very much an active performer - I saw her with Clinton in Newcastle - what right have you got to use someone elses Name? if you must do it (cover-up) at least use a bit of creative imagination I say....

She also fronted Brainstorm aswell Mike, fantastic singer

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have found a great way of getting new cover up names: often people order two records off me at a time so I repeat them in my head while I'm looking for them, therefore you get

earl jackson & the presidents

blanch carter & the staircases

jessica james & the soul explosions

and so on

or you can take an artist and use one of his well know tracks for instance

billy watkins & the ice men

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I  agree with you all the way, in fact during the early to mid eighties there were numerous talented artists with current record deals  who were having their records played by very well known dj's as somebody else, not only did this hamper those very important early sales that creates the buzz within the industry, but as you say Mike it really is disrespectful, as some of the artists names used to cover the record were in fact inferior singers to the real ones. Given that this was also happening on radio with concrete evidence, I believe those dj's were rather fortunate not to have one serious law suite shoved in their face. Then of cause there is the other side of the coin like at stafford  when 60's records were played by artists who were vocally inept, only to be introduced as somebody who could actually sing :g: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!