Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Steve S 60

Excuses For Not Filing Your Tax Return On Time

Should be some interesting excuses coming into the offices of HMRC in the next few weeks. Anything to avoid a £100 fine.

An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood. Locusts.....

............ THIS IS HOW CRAZY THE REVENUE CAN BE IN CHANGING POLICY ON A WHIMWITH NO ACCOUNT FOR THE SMALL AMOUNT TAX PAYERS............

.....in 2013 my accountant ,acting as my tax agent sent my return, which they prepared well in advance , in 2 days late ,due to a postal hold up at royal mail, i was pursued ,at im sure  time and resource cost to the revenue  for 6 months for initially £100 ,finally after several rejected appeals £400 was settled on by the revenue as a reasonable amount for ME PERSONALLY  to pay as penalty , my accountant was deemed to be not liable for blame or charge by the revenue.?? go figure ..???....................accountant paid me back .......eventually............ez

Edited by ezzie brown

for balance just got a £200 fine for an apparent late presentation of funds re my fathers estate.

presented a second amount to probate (almost 2 years on from the first tranche) due to the recent completion of a law suit against the insurers of the company who effectively killed him.  money came through a few weeks ago. we presented it immediately. they will not repeal it. not sure how much quicker it could have happened as the case started the week he was diagnosed. 

funnily enough there is no excuse from them just an inability to look sensibly at a situation. only argued it as its what he would have wanted. they are not for turning. 

If, as they claim, they will use the 'freed up' resources to chase the 'big time' and corporate tax evaders, it's got to be a great idea surely? :yes:

Be afraid Mr Bentley, be very afraid.

............ THIS IS HOW CRAZY THE REVENUE CAN BE IN CHANGING POLICY ON A WHIMWITH NO ACCOUNT FOR THE SMALL AMOUNT TAX PAYERS............

.....in 2013 my accountant ,acting as my tax agent sent my return, which they prepared well in advance , in 2 days late ,due to a postal hold up at royal mail, i was pursued ,at im sure  time and resource cost to the revenue  for 6 months for initially £100 ,finally after several rejected appeals £400 was settled on by the revenue as a reasonable amount for ME PERSONALLY  to pay as penalty , my accountant was deemed to be not liable for blame or charge by the revenue.?? go figure ..???....................accountant paid me back .......eventually............ez

Hi Ezzie,

Why is your accountant sending your Tax Return by post and why, if it was prepared well in advance, did he wait till the last minute before submitting it?

In this day and age most accountants worth their salt, file personal Tax Returns electronically!

You sure he wasn't fobbing you off? :g:

Edited by Stubbsy

if I remember my history correctly, the very first supreme court finding in the USA back in the late 1800s concerning the constitutionality of the "irs" was ERRRNT! sorry, unconstitutional.

the preceding presidents placed puppets in the court, is my guess.

merely a Rothschild hunch.

bail out more banks. that'll fix everything.

:^/

Edited by vinyldisc

No late tax returns from me. :no:

I am usually due a tax rebate so a few years ago set myself a target of getting that money in my bank account asap.

I make sure I keep all my paperwork in good order through the year. This year I submitted my tax return on line on 6th April.

It was approved and the rebate credited to my bank account on 15th April. End of. Move on. :)

No late tax returns from me. :no:

I am usually due a tax rebate so a few years ago set myself a target of getting that money in my bank account asap.

I make sure I keep all my paperwork in good order through the year. This year I submitted my tax return on line on 6th April.

It was approved and the rebate credited to my bank account on 15th April. End of. Move on. :)

​I can only just about read this post as it is totally enveloped in a cloud of smugness. :D

On 03/06/2015 at 23:07, Stubbsy said:

Hi Ezzie,

Why is your accountant sending your Tax Return by post and why, if it was prepared well in advance, did he wait till the last minute before submitting it?

In this day and age most accountants worth their salt, file personal Tax Returns electronically!

You sure he wasn't fobbing you off? :g:

exactly so...been sacked and got loads of tax back from last 6 years after new accountant revisited our books, atb..ez

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts