Strange Case Of The Ike & Tina's Uk "oh Baby" On A& M Records Ams-829

CURIOUS....NEVER SEEN THIS 45 MENTIONED REGARDING THE "3" DIFFERENT LABEL LOGO DESIGNS OF THIS UK A&M RELEASE,AMS-829..1971,...THE 1st HAD THE A&M LOGO ON THE LEFT OF THE LABEL BOTH SIDES. NO "SPECTOR" LOGO EITHER SIDE...2nd COPY HAD THE A&M LOGO ON THE LEFT BOTH SIDES & THE "PHIL SPECTOR " LOGO ON THE RIGHT,BUT ONLY ON THE A SIDE (RIVER DEEP) NO SPECTOR ON "OH BABY" SIDE,...3rd COPY HAS "SPECTOR LOGO" ON "BOTH" SIDES WITH THE A&M BOTH SIDES,? ALL THE SAME NUMBER, SAME YEAR,..SAME RECORDINGS,..A MOST STRANGE & CURIOUS WAY OF RELEASING A RECORD,OF WHICH I CAN ONLY FIND ONE LISTING OF ITS RELEASE ??? & NOT TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE COST INVOLVED IN DOING THIS 3 TIMES?

ANY BODY ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WAS GOING ON !!!

Edited by GLENSSOULSOUNDS
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The first pressing occurred before Spector changed the deal, or demanded his pressing/distribution deal logo rights (that were erroneously unheeded) be carried out, and got A&M to get that done on the 2nd pressing.  Then, he caught their oversight error in the 2nd pressing (of forgetting to put his logo on the B side), and made them do that on a 3rd pressing. Both parties certainly thought that there was more than enough demand for all the pressed records to be sold.  Spector likely demand that A & M not send any more "faulty" pressings to the distributors.  But A&M not wanting to waste money, probably sent them against his wishes, knowing he'd never be able to prove they were not from the already distributed and sold batches.

Social source share

The first pressing occurred before Spector changed the deal, or demanded his pressing/distribution deal logo rights (that were erroneously unheeded) be carried out, and got A&M to get that done on the 2nd pressing.  Then, he caught their oversight error in the 2nd pressing (of forgetting to put his logo on the B side), and made them do that on a 3rd pressing. Both parties certainly thought that there was more than enough demand for all the pressed records to be sold.  Spector likely demand that A & M not send any more "faulty" pressings to the distributors.  But A&M not wanting to waste money, probably sent them against his wishes, knowing he'd never be able to prove they were not from the already distributed and sold batches.

thanks for the info,...that confirms the story i was told years ago,...glen.

Social source share

thanks for the info,...that confirms the story i was told years ago,...glen.

I don't profess to have any "inside" information on those particular events.  I am only surmising based on knowledge of the industry and logic.  The scenario I described has happened thousands of times, and I can't imagine a different set of events that could have led to those same occurrences.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

"Oh Baby" is a Kent Harris song?

"oh Baby " {Things Ain t Wot They Used To Be} Is a KH ,Tune and a brilliant slab Of NS music!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!