News: Pied Piper - Follow Your Soul - Kent Cd - Out Now

"I do wish Kent would release the sleeve notes alone for their CD’s in a book."

I definitely second that . :yes: 

I'm glad someone takes notice of what I write :D  Hopefully Ady will  :thumbsup: 

Seriously though superb compilation.  

I too am also looking forward to the next instalment from Doré.  Some great material surfacing through Ace/Kent.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Another brill Kent CD, Love it...

I wonder whether the Hesitations 'Don't Go' should have been released on one of these CD's; this is where I find out it wasn't a Pied Piper Production, and I've got egg on my face, if not, Volume 3 Pls....

Kind Regards,

Malcolm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 More Than A Memory - Nancy Wilcox

Had this on a tape for many years and always thought it was fantastic. Taped it off Richard Searlings old radio show on Jazz FM  on Sunday afternoons. Worth buying the CD just for this track alone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Fantastic selection of stuff there from Kent as usual. I was immediately drawn to the Metros version of Joe Buckmans" Right Now",a massive fave of mine for many years. Having listened to the brief sound clip on the Ace/Kent website Im pretty certain  its the same version though, I think its just a super clean remastered version though[ which is a revelation in itself because the Sepia copies are normally pretty noisy old pressings] and it sounds phenomenal. Another definite winner from Kent…….

Social source share

Ivor, the Metros/Joe Buckman is the same track according to the notes but Jack Ashford and Lorraine Chandler for some reason saw fit to release it as by Joe Buckman.  Listening it is clearly a group effort.  Maybe the tapes were not labelled correctly?  Maybe Lorraine can shed some light as to the reasons if she reads this. 

Social source share

Awesome cd - Totally forgot about how good the Freddy butler Lp track "They say I'm afraid (of Losing you)" - and i supplied the LP for this cd lol.  Ady hats off mate :hatsoff2: Superb, got it on at work all through the day.

Greg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The sad thing is (& I have said this many times before) that these tunes will not get played in clubs so people can truly appreciate them.

a) The OVO brigade won't touch them

b) The "Top 500" crew won't even know this CD exists.

I take my hat off to Ade for getting these CDs released - it would be great if they were given the recognition they truly deserve.

I'm afraid you are correct in most cases, i suggested on an earlier post some days ago that dj's should get tracks cut.  Where not talking about the so called elite but the grass routes dj's, the ones that keep the scene going in the small club up and down the country.  I agree it  would give fresh tunes to the dancefloor, some of the Piper tracks are actually released on vinyl from Ace, so no need to get cut ( if required).  Remember it all depends on the so called DJ's agenda, entertain the dancefloor with a nice mix or just entertain the few people rubbing there chins in the corner. There is also a positive reaction needed by the dancers, this is always not forcoming at lots of events until they get there top 500.

Greg (ex Capitol Soul Club and 100club).

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Received mine today in Australia and it's a blinder as I knew it would be.  I've been listening to a one minute MP3 clip of the Cavaliers "Without Someone To Tell Me" for a good 3 or 4 years now itching to know how the rest went.... got better & better and I had a carver on order an hour later.  Not OVO because there's a single studio acetate knocking around somewhere but simply too good not to play out.

Social source share

Lorraine Chandler's performance of, "Lost Without You" is sublime...her vocal is often deeper in the mix with her dance tracks, but this really highlights her ability...wonderful!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Heard the Nancy Wilcox track" he,ll be leaving you" on Richard Searlings  show on Radio Manchester last Friday, never heard it before, absolute brilliant track. Would it be possible to release these on the Pied Piper label, give us a chance to play these out at soul nights.

Social source share

"I do wish Kent would release the sleeve notes alone for their CD’s in a book."

I definitely second that . :yes: 

I wonder if with these print on demand type services if it would be viable for them to do it that way or even  if they started a pledge etc to raise the money needed as i would love them all together etc , maybe done in a few volumes etc

I presume that they have all the information stored digitally so wouldnt like be starting from scratch etc

Social source share

I wonder if with these print on demand type services if it would be viable for them to do it that way or even  if they started a pledge etc to raise the money needed as i would love them all together etc , maybe done in a few volumes etc

I presume that they have all the information stored digitally so wouldnt like be starting from scratch etc

A digital download would be ideal for me, carry it anywhere.  I'd even put the book together if they haven't the time :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looking forward to getting my copy when I get home next - I have always said, that most/many 100 Club oldies have never even been heard by most of the Oxford Street basement uninitiated....the Nancy Wilcox has been a MONSTER down them stairs for years....there are probably enough old 100 Club plays, to keep the scene going with 'newies' for another 10 years...absolutely shocking really, that one of the only proper real Soul Allnighters left in the UK, is either ignored or unknown to many north of Watford gap....& its some the tunes included on this CD that make it such....

Cant wait to hear it properly & well done Ady & Ace/Kent

Best Russ

Social source share

Received my copy in the mail today, superb compilation and informative booklet as always! 

Growing up in rural Ireland in the 80's, Kent compilations were my education and they still are today. 

We're lucky to have them and long may they continue.

Social source share

Bought a copy of this CD off Roger Banks at Cleethorpes and saved it for the journey home.

This was the quickest drive home from Cleggy i can remember , quality all the way.

I like the odd Fuzz guitar cutting in on some of the tunes , nice touch.

Totally recommend this CD as a must have.

Keep them coming ....

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest stevie frear

Mine came yestrday,,Got it for the Nancy wilcox but the cavaliers "without someone to tell me" Corrr Blimmy maate !

Social source share

I had added a comment, but I guess it got lost.  Anyhoo, I cannot remember why Joe Buckman was listed alone if he recorded with the Metros, but who knows (or can remember) what happened back then?

What I am glad about is the reaction that people are having off of these old songs.  It is great to see that some people still care.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

I can assure you there are many people who still care very much x

all we need now is a "Pied Piper Review" in the U.K. !! ........sadly not all the artists are with us anymore,

Lorraine would love to know your thoughts on the idea?

Triode

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!