Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

MBarrett

Women's World Cup

Starts Saturday I believe - in Canada.

Will the England ladies do better than the woeful men's team did in 2014.

They've only got to finish better than than last in their group to achieve that.

Not sure I will be watching any matches but I'll be keeping an eye on the scores. (Cue all sorts of puns and innuendos! :) )

Edited by MBarrett

My daughter plays in the WSL so have been involved in women's football for a few years.

They will come home early as like the English men's game it revolves around the physical side.

Fran Kirby is the only exception.

I Will watch as much as I can, one Champions League Final over with.

the womens game has come on a long way, plenty of flair and skill in their game.

https://vine.co/v/M9l5MIZAqB5

Chalky really proud of my daughter only 19 and playing in Womens Super League.

Not a clue where the left foot came from though :g: 

post-8446-0-26780200-1433443546.jpg

Her in dark blue v Everton a few weeks ago.

Edited by NCFC

Chalky really proud of my daughter only 19 and playing in Womens Super League.

Not a clue where the left foot came from though :g: 

attachicon.gifkat wsl1.jpg

Her in dark blue v Everton a few weeks ago.

I bet you are, that's fantastic achievement for your daughter.  The games is growing and with TV and the FA's getting behind women....the sponsors won't be far behind.

When does the women's season start?

Edited by chalky

Runs through Summer but have a break at moment due to World cup.We love watching her play :thumbsup:.

Saw her play against Arsenal first team for Colchester Utd when she was 16.Proud dad alert to see her playing against Kelly Smith and co at such a young age.

Edited by NCFC

Runs through Summer but have a break at moment due to World cup.We love watching her play :thumbsup:.

Saw her play against Arsenal first team for Colchester Utd when she was 16.Proud dad alert to see her playing against Kelly Smith and co at such a young age.

16 wow.  At that level in any sport 16 is a fantastic achievement. England next  :thumbup: 

The games is growing and with TV and the FA's getting behind women....the sponsors won't be far behind.

I have Radio 5 on quite a lot and I have noticed that out of the blue women's football has suddenly started getting more mentions. That was where I learnt that the World Cup was about to start.

Pretty much all the bookies have them as 9th favourites. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/womens-international/world-cup/womens-world-cup-2015/winner

I would love it if they can do one better and squeeze into the quarter finals. Although anything better than the men's "un point" in 2014 surely has to be a moral victory! :D

I have Radio 5 on quite a lot and I have noticed that out of the blue women's football has suddenly started getting more mentions. That was where I learnt that the World Cup was about to start.

Pretty much all the bookies have them as 9th favourites. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/womens-international/world-cup/womens-world-cup-2015/winner

I would love it if they can do one better and squeeze into the quarter finals. Although anything better than the men's "un point" in 2014 surely has to be a moral victory! :D

I listen to 5 live too.  BBC doing a good job with women football.

Very pleased for Fran Kirby great player who has had a tough time.Worth googling her story.

My daughter has played against her a few times and she is a quality player.

Makes a refreshing change to see football played by footballers and not fairies, cheats and ego-trippers!...............i`ve yet to see any diving, feigning injury, wagging imaginary cards, cynical elbows and players going down like they`ve been shot.

But the kit could be tighter!

Well done the England ladies! :)

Beat the host nation Canada last night for a place in the semis. First time men's or women's teams have been in the semi-finals of the World Cup since 1990.

Just the current world champs (Japan) to beat now to get through to the final. :ohmy:

Players and manager all seem excited and enthusiastic and up for the challenge.

Good luck to them. :yes:

Edited by MBarrett

Never thought they would get this far,think they could beat Japan who are a good footballing side.

Pity the men's side don't show the same passion as last night!!!!!

Edited by NCFC

I've kept my eye on the scores and have been pleased to see England progress, hopefully they can beat Japan in the semis and give England something to be proud of, no doubt the press will have a field day if they do well against Japan.  I'm not usually patriotic when it comes to football, but it would be nice to see an English team lifting a trophy more regularly than I've become used to.

Nice to watch some decent football played in the right spirit and not watching a bunch of cheats as you do with the men. The men could learn something from the ladies.

England have nothing to lose and can come home whatever happens with their heads held high.

Betting odds for tournament winner are fairly consistent across most bookies.

Germany Evens

USA 2/1

Japan 7/2

England 8/1

Come on ladies. A couple of massive giant-killing acts and revenge over Germany. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!! :D

Makes a refreshing change to see football played by footballers and not fairies, cheats and ego-trippers!...............i`ve yet to see any diving, feigning injury, wagging imaginary cards, cynical elbows and players going down like they`ve been shot.

But the kit could be tighter!

Did you happen to watch the Germany France match Steve? There was a fair amount of what could be considered cynical. It's obviously not as bad just yet as male football, but it will filter through. Football as a sport has had it's day, but for the most part, people will still buy into it, and as usual consider it the best league in the world because in England the players keep on running. Just take the ball away, it's rarely in use.

Personally I'd like to see the USA beat Germany (they'd probably be easier to beat in the final), but whoever it is that England face if they do beat Japan in the semis the girls (women) should come home to a heroes welcome and applauded for what they have done, there should be a plethora of gongs handed out in the New Years honours to all involved.

They shouldn't have lost, it was just bad luck, and the push that gave Japan the penalty was outside the box.  Let's now hope they can beat Germany to take third place.

She couldn't score like the own goal again,if she tried 100 times.Pure bad luck.Gutted for them.

I thought it was all a refreshing change compared to some of the rubbish from the men's team in recent times.

They started as 9th favourites and came third. Hard to ask for more than that.

And genuine happiness from the whole squad and support team at the end.

Happiness and international football. Blimey! :ohmy:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts