Ronald Isley -3 Yrs For Tax Evasion

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Check this.......

'Ronald Isley gets 3 years for tax evasion Sat Sep 2, 3:56 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Soul legend Ronald Isley, who sang such hits as "Twist and Shout" and "This Old Heart of Mine" as a member of the Isley Brothers, was sentenced on Friday to three years in federal prison for tax evasion.

Isley, 65, was also ordered to pay about $3.1 million to the Internal Revenue Service, having engaged in "pervasive, long-term, pathological" evasion of federal taxes, according to U.S. District Court Judge Dean Pregerson.

The sentences were handed down after Isley was convicted last October of five counts of tax evasion and one count of willful failure to file a tax return. During the three-week trial, prosecutors said Isley failed to make any voluntary payments to the IRS between 1976 and 1996.

They also said he spent millions of dollars of unreported cash payments for performances on a yacht and two homes, and cashed royalty checks belonging to his late brother, O'Kelly, who died of a heart attack in 1986.

Isley's lawyer said on Friday his client had been selling his assets to pay down his IRS debt. He had sought probation for Isley, citing his client's medical condition, which includes the effects of a stroke and a recent bout with kidney cancer.

But Pregerson declined to sentence Isley to less time than called for under federal sentencing guidelines, agreeing with a description of Isley as a "serial tax avoider."

The Isley Brothers -- Rudolph, Ronald and O'Kelly -- started singing together as teens in the 1950s in their native Cincinnati. Their early hits included "Shout," which has become a frequently-covered rock tune, "Twist and Shout," which was notably covered by the Beatles, and the Motown tune "This Old Heart of Mine."

They won a Grammy in 1970 for "It's Your Thing," the biggest hit of their career. The success continued through the 1970s even as the lineup expanded with additional family members and other performers. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

In recent years, Isley has recorded with the likes of pop songwriter Burt Bacharach and R&B star R. Kelly. He and younger brother Ernie topped the U.S. album charts in 2003 with "Body Kiss."

Their most recent album, "Baby Makin' Music," came out in May, coinciding with the announcement that Ronald Isley and new wife Kandy were expecting a baby in January 2007.'

Who would have thought! :thumbsup:

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Check this.......

'Ronald Isley gets 3 years for tax evasion Sat Sep 2, 3:56 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Soul legend Ronald Isley, who sang such hits as "Twist and Shout" and "This Old Heart of Mine" as a member of the Isley Brothers, was sentenced on Friday to three years in federal prison for tax evasion.

Isley, 65, was also ordered to pay about $3.1 million to the Internal Revenue Service, having engaged in "pervasive, long-term, pathological" evasion of federal taxes, according to U.S. District Court Judge Dean Pregerson.

The sentences were handed down after Isley was convicted last October of five counts of tax evasion and one count of willful failure to file a tax return. During the three-week trial, prosecutors said Isley failed to make any voluntary payments to the IRS between 1976 and 1996.

They also said he spent millions of dollars of unreported cash payments for performances on a yacht and two homes, and cashed royalty checks belonging to his late brother, O'Kelly, who died of a heart attack in 1986.

Isley's lawyer said on Friday his client had been selling his assets to pay down his IRS debt. He had sought probation for Isley, citing his client's medical condition, which includes the effects of a stroke and a recent bout with kidney cancer.

But Pregerson declined to sentence Isley to less time than called for under federal sentencing guidelines, agreeing with a description of Isley as a "serial tax avoider."

The Isley Brothers -- Rudolph, Ronald and O'Kelly -- started singing together as teens in the 1950s in their native Cincinnati. Their early hits included "Shout," which has become a frequently-covered rock tune, "Twist and Shout," which was notably covered by the Beatles, and the Motown tune "This Old Heart of Mine."

They won a Grammy in 1970 for "It's Your Thing," the biggest hit of their career. The success continued through the 1970s even as the lineup expanded with additional family members and other performers. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

In recent years, Isley has recorded with the likes of pop songwriter Burt Bacharach and R&B star R. Kelly. He and younger brother Ernie topped the U.S. album charts in 2003 with "Body Kiss."

Their most recent album, "Baby Makin' Music," came out in May, coinciding with the announcement that Ronald Isley and new wife Kandy were expecting a baby in January 2007.'

Who would have thought! :thumbsup:

Dr Bob Jones

Like they say, Bob, two things are always unavoidable in life - death and taxes!

Hope all's well,

ROUNCEY

Social source share

Result!!3 years?=£3.5 million,i`ll do it for that.

:P Ken,i thought you were in the big house in Tottenham :thumbsup: .How can you pay taxes on zero earnings Ken???.

You would'nt like prison mate NO SPICES for you to chomp on :D .

Hope all is well yor end ,speak soon yes.

Social source share

:yes: Ken,i thought you were in the big house in Tottenham :thumbsup: .How can you pay taxes on zero earnings Ken???.

You would'nt like prison mate NO SPICES for you to chomp on :P .

Hope all is well yor end ,speak soon yes.

:yes: Less than that,there was a survey,i`m £480 worse of than last year,and payed more indirect taxes,than the middle and upper classes :P ,and all they do is buy personal number plates,now thats a crime :D ,so looks like i`m keeping the rich richer :D dont it!!

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

bob thanks for that i was wondering what the outcome had been. can I look forward to seeing you show up at Handcross on Sunday 17th ? just south of Crawley, not too far from you. playing a mixed bag, see gig guide please. thanks martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!