simon t

Any Web Site Experts On Here?

If you have a website it is obviously hosted somewhere. If a third party designed it and put it up do they always have access to it or can you change the 'passwords', if so, how?

If my web site was   www.simont.com   and the email is    simon@simont.com, does the same apply to the emails regarding who has access?

Legally, does the person who paid for the web site to be produced own it or is it the person who pays for it to be hosted?

If you have a website it is obviously hosted somewhere. If a third party designed it and put it up do they always have access to it or can you change the 'passwords', if so, how?

If my web site was   www.simont.com   and the email is    simon@simont.com, does the same apply to the emails regarding who has access?

Legally, does the person who paid for the web site to be produced own it or is it the person who pays for it to be hosted?

Mal C is probably the man to ask.

I design websites and would usually have access to the servers they are hosted on as quite a lot of the time I am asked to maintain and update them on an ongoing basis. I would typically have 'admin' level privileges so could change basically any aspect of the website installation including changing passwords, have access to setting up e-mail accounts, webmail etc. I'd basically need this to do my job.

I would imagine anyone with admin-level access would have full access to e-mails set-up on that server.

In the past when a working relationship comes to a natural end (job finished to client's satisfaction, handed over to in-house teams etc.) I ask my clients to change their passwords for their own security and peace of mind. In this case I wouldn't be able to access the server their website is hosted on unless they gave me the new password. 

Who owns the website? that would depend on any agreement you have in place with the other party. Always a good idea in cases like this where more than one person has a stake to ensure that each party knows where they stand in the event of a dispute or breakdown in relationship.

I presume you know that your site is resolving to the file directory rather than the actual home page?

When you say password, I'm guessing you mean password to the ftp access - the means by which you transfer new pages, design updates and new content, pics, etc. Is that right?

You should be able to change login details, etc, in the account page provided by your hosting company.

As for the ownership of the site, that's entirely yours (presuming you own the domain name).

I'm somewhat rusty on this subject nowadays, but ownership of the site *design* is a little bit tricker and depends entirely on the agreements you made with whoever's done the designing/coding. If you've paid them to come up with a design and make it for you then they will more than likely own the copyright to the creative aspects, ie, the look of the site and any unique design elements that they've made.

That essentially means you may need to get permission from the web designer if you wanted to use their designs elsewhere (in a brochure, poster, business card, for example).

However, if it was put together by an employee (and I'm presuming not) then all intellectual/creative rights belong to the employer (unless a contract was signed stating otherwise).

I'm saying this based on very little info, so might have completely misinterpreted your situation. More info is always useful.

Thanks for the replies

In a nut shell I think we have a   .com   website, hosted by ‘Hosting24’ in the USA. The domain name came from ‘Godaddy’. To read the emails, when you login at the mail Office 365 / outlook page, as soon as you start to type in the password it redirects you to the equivalent Godaddy   login page where complete your email & password

There is a problem with the ‘Contact’ facility on the site which needs to be fixed. The person who produced the web site has been sorting this glitch for 6 month now! I would like to know how to take control of the website and more importantly the emails, so that we are sure only the boss can access them as he is paying for the whole lot as part of his business.

Who would you need to contact to achieve this?

Apparently the web site was made with “Dreamweaver”

Thanks for the replies

In a nut shell I think we have a   .com   website, hosted by ‘Hosting24’ in the USA. The domain name came from ‘Godaddy’. To read the emails, when you login at the mail Office 365 / outlook page, as soon as you start to type in the password it redirects you to the equivalent Godaddy   login page where complete your email & password

There is a problem with the ‘Contact’ facility on the site which needs to be fixed. The person who produced the web site has been sorting this glitch for 6 month now! I would like to know how to take control of the website and more importantly the emails, so that we are sure only the boss can access them as he is paying for the whole lot as part of his business.

Who would you need to contact to achieve this?

Apparently the web site was made with “Dreamweaver”

You need to be able to login to the 'cpanel' page on Hosting24's own site. It's from here that you should be able to control all aspects of the site - ftp passwords, etc. Here's the link to it.

https://www.hosting24.com/cpanel_login.php

Dreamweaver is a standard website building software package. I use it myself. 

By the sounds of things you need someone with web building expertise to give you a much needed hand - especially if the person you're working with now is taking six months to fix a basic problem!

Perhaps Sweeney can offer some guidance directly or perhaps put you in touch with someone else with real experience. Just a thought...

Edited by Russell Gilbert

You need to be able to login to the 'cpanel' page on Hosting24's own site. It's from here that you should be able to control all aspects of the site - ftp passwords, etc. Here's the link to it.

https://www.hosting24.com/cpanel_login.php

Dreamweaver is a standard website building software package. I use it myself. 

By the sounds of things you need someone with web building expertise to give you a much needed hand - especially if the person you're working with now is taking six months to fix a basic problem!

Perhaps Sweeney can offer some guidance directly or perhaps put you in touch with someone else with real experience. Just a thought...

The only people who should be able the emails are the two bosses and myself. If a/the person with admin-level access can access the emails, then I need to ensures this stop ASAP!   Admittedly I am a cynical old fart,  but maybe someone might have a vested interest in not being able to fix the basic problem, in order  to retain admin-level access, and not finishing the job and handing things over in a professional manner. I spoke with the bloke this afternoon and to be kind, found him somewhat obstructive and an amnesiac!

Again, many thanks for your help.

If you contact the site by completing the fields shown in the attached   query.jpg

the following email comes through:

To:
Mick;

Name: abc def

Email: 01201 123456

test 03/06/15

The telephone number comes through as the Email & there's no telephone details at all.

Can anyone say how much of a job it is the correct the problem and how long it might take? (using Dreamweaver)

post-1151-0-17645400-1433357217_thumb.jp

Hi Simon,

I have a web development business, with a strong team of techies and developers.

www.TheWebTeam.co.uk

www.TheWebsitePeople.co.uk

Send me a pm with the domain name and I'll get one of the web team to give you a hand.

Cheers,

Sean

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.