MBarrett

Can A Photography Expert Help Me Please?

I walked through our local park tonight at about 10pm. The sky was very clear and it was just becoming dark. And there was a beautiful big full moon throwing a long reflection over the boating pool.

I would love to get a photograph of that scene to go on the Park website.

If I took my camera back tomorrow and the weather conditions are the same is there any chance I could get a decent photo? I have a Canon SLR which I normally just use on Full Auto. But I'm not sure if FA would cope with this. Obviously the moon and the reflection are the main things I want to capture but I would also like the photo to show some of the trees etc. even if they are only in silhouette.

Or is this a hopeless cause? :(

Edited by MBarrett

Woodbutcher is your man...

Beyond that, set your camera to manual and put it on a tripod. Take a reading from the moon itself and adjudt iso, etc, accordingly. Having a slr/dslr on auto is pointless in the main unless all you want are the same images you take with any other sort of camera, phone, etc. 

photography is a skill - the camera is just a tool and won't do it for you just by pointing it at something!

Should be able to get a decent shot but getting the exposure right for both the Moon and the landscape can be tricky and will need some tweaking afterwards no doubt.

As Russell said take a tripod for stability , and a cable fed shutter release button will help reduce vibrations (alternatively use the self-timer function at 2 seconds and use the normal shutter button.)

Good thing with a DSLR is that you can take hundreds of exposures very quickly at a variety of exposure settings , you just delete those that are unworthy .

I would use Manual mode and have a play with various exposures.

Take care with focusing , autofocussing on the Moon is pretty unreliable so set lens to MF , set Liveview screen to 5x and 

get best focus , then flick to 10x and tweak if required .

And bear in mind that the Moon rises about 51 minutes later each day , so if you arrive at the location at the same time tonight it will be about 15 degrees further East (left) than it was last night so you will have a 50 minute wait until it reaches the same position in the landscape.

Clear skies to you ...  :) 

Thanks guys for the advice.

Well I've been down through the Park again tonight - later as advised by WoodButcher - and sod's law the moon was covered with a layer of hazy cloud. So the beautiful effect I saw last night just wasn't there. Why didn't I listen to my conscience last night when it was telling me to go home for the camera there and then. B****r! :dash2:

But here's a funny thing. As much of the moon as I could see through the cloud looked much smaller than it did last night. I'm sure I read years ago why the moon can sometimes look much larger. Some kind of optical illusion I think. Can anyone help me out with that one? :)

It appears larger when closer to the horizon but the effect has still not really been properly explained.

It's certainly an illusion though , if you hold up a washer with a 1/4" hole in it at arms length and view the Moon through it when it's just risen and then again when it's at its highest point it will still show as the same size ...  :yes: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

It appears larger when closer to the horizon but the effect has still not really been properly explained.

It's certainly an illusion though , if you hold up a washer with a 1/4" hole in it at arms length and view the Moon through it when it's just risen and then again when it's at its highest point it will still show as the same size ...  :yes: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

You're right. I was a bit more than an hour later so the moon was that bit higher in the sky. What a strange thing. And who would have thought the phenomenon would have its own Wikipedia page??!!

Optical illusions are weird. I go to a seaside town where there are some wind turbines about a mile offshore. When you view them down one of the side roads to the front it is almost as if they are on the beach. And as you walk down the road they appear to move further and further out to sea! :hypo:

Can I sort of hijack the topic  :D 

What is the best lens for landscape and any tips and what is the best lens for shooting at night in a venue?

No probs. :)

I'm always happy to pick up new tips. I've got a lot to learn! LOL

Can I sort of hijack the topic  :D 

What is the best lens for landscape and any tips and what is the best lens for shooting at night in a venue?

I don't know what camera you are using Chalky but for the night time shots in a venue get as fast a lens as you can, one that can open the aperture really wide, you will get that really nice soft background without having to up your ISO which will bring the grain up. The smaller the f stop, the faster the lens, an f1.2 would be a nice fast lens. I use a Voigtlander f.95 which is gorgeous but pricey.

For shooting at night in a venue an image-intensifier would be best ... unless you want to be one of those irritating sods wandering around the dancefloor all night letting off a flash every 5 seconds ...  :wicked: 

On a slightly more serious note though , I find the standard 18-55 kit lenses fine for landscapes , but the 75-300 lends itself nicely too , all depends on the view . The new 'cheap' Canon 10-18mm is a great little lens for the money as well for those expansive 'scapes.

As the previous poster says 'faster the better' ... but a Canon f/1.2 will still set you back a grand ... !

A decent all rounder might be the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS , decent length range with image stabilisation which will help as you'll be shooting on the hoof.    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f2-8-is-usm-lens/p1012403

The camera I have is one of the cheaper end Canon.DSLR 400 or 450 EOS.  I will let you know what lens I have.

i have done plenty of acts at venues as you may have seen from my flickr page but I have never delved into it seriously.

If I saw a bloke skulking around a park at midnight with a camera I'd be a bit wary  :lol: 

That's one reason us astro-types tend to favour secluded , dark sites for our night-time activities , last thing you want is to attract unwanted attention when you've a few grands worth of kit on display on your lonesome ...  :thumbsup: 

That said I set up my Solar imaging kit in a lay-by on the A14 one day last year , in order to make use of a very small patch of blue sky that appeared unexpectedly on a grey day , got a few strange looks from passers by but the two truck drivers in the same lay-by soon wandered over and were fascinated by the images ...  :D

If I saw a bloke skulking around a park at midnight with a camera I'd be a bit wary  :lol: 

You would get mugged in about 10 seconds around this neck of the woods.

You would get mugged in about 10 seconds around this neck of the woods.

It's fine, no problem, this is West Bromwich. :D

Seriously though it's a beautiful Park - night or day.

http://www.friendsofdartmouthpark.org.uk/

Some great photos on there if you scroll down a short way.

I even get a name check at the bottom. Social Historian for the Committee of the FODP. It keeps me off the streets! :D

Edited by MBarrett

For shooting at night in a venue an image-intensifier would be best ... unless you want to be one of those irritating sods wandering around the dancefloor all night letting off a flash every 5 seconds ...  :wicked: 

On a slightly more serious note though , I find the standard 18-55 kit lenses fine for landscapes , but the 75-300 lends itself nicely too , all depends on the view . The new 'cheap' Canon 10-18mm is a great little lens for the money as well for those expansive 'scapes.

As the previous poster says 'faster the better' ... but a Canon f/1.2 will still set you back a grand ... !

A decent all rounder might be the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS , decent length range with image stabilisation which will help as you'll be shooting on the hoof.    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f2-8-is-usm-lens/p1012403

The lens I have (all Canon) are EFS 55-250 with image stabiliser.

24-85 ultrasonic

and the refs 18-55 which came with the kit.

Cameras are EOS 400d and EOS 40D.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.