Vocal V Inst Maybe The Definitive Answer?

Now I'm usually a vocal over inst man,I do waver occasionally?Contemplations-Alone With No Love been one as I just pick the inst above the vocal,it's a very close call though?

Bought this recently.......... Queen City Show Band - True Patron Of Arts Pow

New to me until relatively recently but has that old school inst feel to it,I've been told that it's not had that many plays up until recently which surprised me as it has that feel to it that would have gone down perfectly back in the day........if that info is correct one that slipped the net????(would be interested if it was played back in the day)

So no vocal on the other side it doesn't fall into the choosing of vocal over inst argument so I'm a happy little bunny.Then I get to thinking there's not many insts that someone hasn't tagged a vocal on or visa versa.So to my eternal regret I started digging to find out if there was a vocal...........I'm scared for life  :facepalm: 

WARNING........if you don't want a great inst ruined do not proceed  :no:

Final WARNING!!!!

A bit of fun for a Sunday afternoon :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Hi mate,

The POTA has been around years, Kenny Burrell used to play it covered up, he was disappointed when he played it for me and I told him what it was :D

The vocal is terrible but then again so is the instrumental :lol:

Chalky

Must admit I'd be amazed if someone hadn't picked up on it in the past.

Bet Kenny was pleased with that.........there's always one anorak out there :lol:

See you in the pub next Friday when you'll filling your face with a carvery :thumbup: 

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

God knows why he covered it up, I had it in the 80's and reviewed it in Beatin Rhythm magazine along with a scan of the label, that was in 89 or 90, it was always £15 on Page One, didn't know there was an American release til much later, probably because of the change of artist credit on the UK one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

God knows why he covered it up, I had it in the 80's and reviewed it in Beatin Rhythm magazine along with a scan of the label, that was in 89 or 90, it was always £15 on Page One, didn't know there was an American release til much later, probably because of the change of artist credit on the UK one.

Pete

And that's why I wouldn't ever try to cover a record up............the anoraks are just waiting in there dark corners to get us lesser mortals & take the piss of our lack of knowledge ........God I wish I had my dark corner :lol:  :lol: 

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Is there a vocal for this anyone?

If there is, it surely can't be that bad.

Took me ages to find a vocal to one of the most famous insts.................Green Onions.

Got there in the end

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Took me ages to find a vocal to one of the most famous insts.................Green Onions.

Got there in the end

Hi Old Timer  :wicked: 

Hope yer well Martyn. Didn't I have a hand in that one?

As a bit of an aside I don't think I really like any instrumentals - never really understood em.  :g: I'm sure someone will soon put one up to make me change my mind. 

Peter

Social source share

Now I'm usually a vocal over inst man,I do waver occasionally?Contemplations-Alone With No Love been one as I just pick the inst above the vocal,it's a very close call though?

New to me until relatively recently but has that old school inst feel to it,I've been told that it's not had that many plays up until recently which surprised me as it has that feel to it that would have gone down perfectly back in the day........if that info is correct one that slipped the net????(would be interested if it was played back in the day)

So no vocal on the other side it doesn't fall into the choosing of vocal over inst argument so I'm a happy little bunny.Then I get to thinking there's not many insts that someone hasn't tagged a vocal on or visa versa.So to my eternal regret I started digging to find out if there was a vocal...........I'm scared for life  :facepalm: 

Final WARNING!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

Erm..... thanks for sharing. Putting warnings on only encourages idiots like me, I won't ever play the inst again.  :facepalm:

Social source share

Hi Old Timer  :wicked: 

Hope yer well Martyn. Didn't I have a hand in that one?

As a bit of an aside I don't think I really like any instrumentals - never really understood em.  :g: I'm sure someone will soon put one up to make me change my mind. 

Peter

Peter

So it's your fault..........not really Pete it's Mark Thomas as it was him I first head him play it at Mojo in Hull.

Think we discussed the difference between J.V...Ra-Bra releases :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Peter

So it's your fault..........not really Pete it's Mark Thomas as it was him I first head him play it at Mojo in Hull.

Think we discussed the difference between J.V...Ra-Bra releases :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Yep, that sounds more realistic!  :thumbup: 

Social source share

Erm..... thanks for sharing. Putting warnings on only encourages idiots like me, I won't ever play the inst again.  :facepalm:

Sorry...............Welcome to my world,what fu#cking idiot tries to find a vocal to an inst that doesn't have one on the record he actually bought............if you think that's the right thing to do you are in a worse place then I am :D

Social source share

Final WARNING!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

I love the fact that video footage of this exists, thanks for posting that, however bad the song is

Social source share

I love the fact that video footage of this exists, thanks for posting that, however bad the song is

Pete

That's where we differ........you appreciate the history of it never mind how bad it is..........I'm tucking into the Vodka trying to forget  :facepalm: 

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Hi mate,

The POTA has been around years, Kenny Burrell used to play it covered up, he was disappointed when he played it for me and I told him what it was :D

The vocal is terrible but then again so is the instrumental :lol:

​Eleanor Rigby on the other side - lovely : ) - I had it for probably 25 years before I flogged it earlier this year, certainly pretty well known amongst Northern instrumental collectors (me as was). Dx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!