Carl Hall - Still around?

Hi Gareth,

Yep, Thanks, I'd seen that. There's at least a slight discrepancy in the text which is why I'm trying to corroborate it or establish it's accuracy.

'Truly Blessed' was almost a decade before that date in 1990. He does appear to have dropped off the radar around that time (1990), so he may well have passed then.

Be nice to tie up his post musical career info (if there is any of course).        

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I can't remember where/who I got the info from a long time back but I was led to believe he died young of AIDS in New York at the very end of the 80's, start of the 90's, so 1990 would add up. What an immense and unique vocalist.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As a further addendum, how about this?

It's a playbill of the short-lived theatre production "Truly Blessed - a musical celebration of Mahalia Jackson", which ran for just four weeks. There are two autographs on the cover. One is from the leading lady, Queen Esther Marrow, and the other is… :D

<doh!>

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

After a little more in depth digging around, I'm not 100% convinced that Peggi Blu is in fact his sister. Her bios conflict with Carl's recorded early life and family personnel. They both appeared in The Wiz ('83/84 version) whuich is maybe how they became friends? I'm beginning to wonder if the word 'brother' she uses is a term of endearment rather than a biological fact.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

In interviews she states that Carl introduced her to Jerry Ragovoy, which eventually led to her cutting her debut album "I got love" with him. That came out in 1980, meaning the relationship with Ragovoy began earlier and that she had known Carl for a longer period of time.

In one article on her own website she refers to Carl as "dear late brother/friend". She might use both as terms of endearment, but not at the same time. At least I don't think so, although I wouldn't be prepared to stand on that point alone. As for conflict in timelines, who's to say that they were siblings in the same happy nuclear family? Marriages, divorce, extra-marrital affairs, one-night stands, etc, etc… It could be that they were half brother/sister. 

More digging definitely needed...

Social source share

More digging definitely needed...

Definitely. :yes:

My research so far shows that they both record different Mothers AND Fathers. (Although how concrete/accurate that is, is also not 100% at the minute).

Think I need to put call in to Ms Blu or her hubby.

I'll be back with any update I can establish.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Definitely. :yes:

My research so far shows that they both record different Mothers AND Fathers. (Although how concrete/accurate that is, is also not 100% at the minute).

Think I need to put call in to Ms Blu or her hubby.

I'll be back with any update I can establish.

Regards,

Dave

​What's written on a birth certificate doesn't always reflect the truth. Let us know how you get on...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Peggi Blu appeared at the Fleetwood weekender in 2002 to promote her excellent Livin' On Love CD which Expansion released. I would've thought that if she was Carl Hall's sister, it would've come out then.

I could've asked her husband and manager, Ted Perlman, in early 2003 had I known of the possibility then. After I listed her CD in my top 10 of 2002 in an article on this site, he got in touch with Mike and offered an interview with her, which Mike passed on to me. I started to do some research and prepared some questions on working with Jerry Ragovoy amongst other subjects but, regrettably, never followed it through.

Dave M, I presume it's Ted that you're going to ask?

Edited by daved
Social source share

Hi Daved,

Yep, I've sent a message and am awaiting a reply. Ms Blu has a number of management outlets. Just to clarify the reason I'm like a dog with a bone over this, is that I've just completed a 40 page piece on Jerry Ragovoy and obviously included a segment on Carl. I wasn't happy with including certain assumptions until I could corroborate and confirm them so the end of that segment hasn't got Carl's post industry years, (if there were any) included. It would be great to tie it all up once and for all.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

also missing his appearance under the alias Henry Hull on Archie Shepp's Attica Blues from 1972...

​Good call,  a fantastic album all way through especially Ballad for a child which is the Henry Hull/Carl Hall track.  A beautiful piece of music.

It was my understanding and I could be completely wrong but Carl was Little Richards stage manager back in the 90's.  Not sure why this is my understanding but seem to remember Little Richard did a rock and roll revival gig in Manchester in the 90's and Carl's name cropped up.  He was a really talented singer.

All the best, Alan

Social source share

I've always wondered if the C. Henry Hall and Carl Henry Hall credits on the Mercury 45s weren't to emphasise to DJs that he was in fact a male singer and not to misrepresent him as 'Carol Hall'.

I think he's one of the greatest African American vocalists but have to state that his recorded secular output largely under-represents his talents. Of the Mercury singles only the staggering last moments of the otherwise middle-of-the-road 'I Believe' and his blistering take on 'Summertime' are artistically satisfying. The Jerry Ragovoy-inspired recordings on Loma/Warners are over-rated to me: I know that's a view which will be in the minority but I just don't think the material is strong enough. Howard Tate and Lorraine Ellison got the cream of Ragovoy's songs it seems, but I would have loved to see what Carl Hall could have done with 'I Learned It All The Hard Way' etc, which is not to say that Howard Tate didn't produce soul music of the highest quality at these sessions.

The Atlantic single is so-so and only really the Columbia double-sider shows anything like the full range of what he was capable of artistically. I get the feeling he only sang R&B for the money and saw his real calling in musical theatre.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Carl Hall was certainly alive in 1999 as he arranged 'Latin Lover' for Stephanie Mills. I think reports that he died that year from an AIDS related illness are probably correct. He worked with Carl Bean of 'I was born this way' (Motown) fame to open the influential Minority Aids Project before his passing. Carl hall was possible a stage name .

Edited by Stormcock
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!