Tall Paul (Spinner)

In complete shock since saturday, when we first heard the news of his illness and that he had been admitted to a hospice.....it's the inevitability of it that is so crushing...to know almost for certain what that means, but still coming to terms with something so shocking and even greater the shock, that his passing should be so tragically swift...there is no justice in life when people who you respect and love are taken for no good reason..all we have is the unfair logic that the good die first, they certainly die too young....Paul was both as well as being a great dancer, he WAS a good friend..there are a lot of places where he filled space, that will lie empty, missing his presence and charisma.....sincere and deepest sympathy to his immediate family and to his life partner, Carol....god bless and keep you, the big guy is watching over you...amen

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Shocked to the core when I heard this news on fb last night, I had heard rumours that he wasn't well, I was kinda hoping that's all it was (rumours) sadly not, I can't imagine what Carol is going through right now with the loss of her Soulmate, he will be missed by many, especially his little pal Nesta. RIP Paul x.

Sandy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest dave nowell

God bless you Paul

Carole (McCarthy) has been his rock over the past few months

Soul nights will not be the same without you pal

Social source share

really gutted to hear this, paul, top gent. everytime we bump into one another, out and about, he always says, ok bill?! he loved his dancing. one of the best spinners on the scene, really gonna miss him out on the floor. paul bought some fond memories to people on the soul scene. he will be sadly missed. rip paul, love you man

cheers billy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Only heard yesterday that Paul had been ill and was in a hospice and then got a call to hear this terrible news earlier today. God bless you mate you will be truly missed by everyone that had the pleasure of meeting you. Rest In Peace.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Carol and your family at this sad time. John & Helen xx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very sad to hear about Paul,another gentleman and character lost,fond memories of meeting Paul at the Albany in Heywood some 20 years ago on a Sunday night,when would you believe ,there was'nt much on,after that it was the Ritz niters, Bury Town Hall and Keirby Hotel,and as everyone says we knew we were in for a good night when Paul arrived,spun for fun,commiserations to Carole and family, Roman and Wendy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mandy and I heard of Tall Paul's passing last night. We used to catch up with Paul and Carol at all the usual haunts Lowton, Bury, Prestwich, NCS and loads of places, always a smile and always dancing hard.  

Paul was a really, really nice bloke and personified all that is the best of the NS scene.  Having moved away from the NW a decade ago we only got to occasional doo's.  The last time we saw Paul was at the Prestwich reunion last year.  It was like we had just seen him the week before, a hug and a chat and watch him spin!!

Our hearts go out to Carole.

RIP Paul.

Ben and Mandy

Social source share

Guest dave nowell

Carole has asked me to post up Paul's funeral details, folks

Next Thursday (18th) at Dukinfield Crematorium, Greater Manchester, SK16 4EP, at 2.30pm.

Car sharing advised as there is limited parking

Thankyou to everyone for all your kind messages

Social source share

Guest okehman

Hey up Dave ,Kegs and my deepest sympathies for you Carole ....I will make it next week to see the hilarious Paul off I don't want to dwell on Paul to much only to say my funniest moment was when he roused me from my slumber a few years ago at the Bridlington Weekender I slept in Carole's camper van......we sat together on a bench looking out to sea he pulled out a joint and said "How did you sleep Dave"?......I was in hysterics as I said "What do you think !......like sh.t".....his reply was "Well you will sleep better tonight .....fancy a bit of breakfast(being an athlete I matched Paul with his appetite!!)....."Yeah that sounds good my shout "....deadpan in his innuendos around life and the Soul Scene Paul and myself  always shared a few beers whenever we met up .....I ran the recent Edinburgh Marathon and text him to say every step was dedicated to him 40mph winds greeted me on the turnaround I felt rough to say the least but the thought of Paul laughing at my predicament kept me going "Keep On Keeping On"....!!...I can see you spraying sweat all over those Soul Brother and Sisters in the dance hall in the sky....see you in the future mate it hurts me to the core we can't share a few more beers together!....regards Carole.

Social source share

Guest goodysoul

This is such tragic news and a very big shock he will be very sadly missed indeed, our thoughts and love go out to his family and Carole  at this very sad time may he R.I.P and dance with the angels above.

Kelly and Tony

Social source share

Guest Nicko

Real sad news always had a chat with the big fella what a gent  what a spinner never be matched ! 

First saw Paul at Prestatyne 2nd year I think, blew me away with the shear velocity of his spin, loved watching people's 

reaction when first witnessing his routine a real eye opener, like our beloved Northern soul full of deep emotion, passion, excitement ,and thrills. Also spent a great photo shoot day with Paul and Carol at Brum uni thanks to John Barrett and

Sammy Dee. Great memories will miss you Big Fella . R I P 

Nick and Annie

Social source share

Lots of Love to Carole and family I recall a girl saying Ive nearly got spun off the dance floor by a great big spinning man I cant add a thing to whats been said until we meet again in the dancehall in the sky matey, I could only try and spin as fast! BIG LOVE rest in peace Tall Paul a man among men all my love Carole and family xxxx

Social source share

Like every one else I was shocked and numbed to hear about the loss of Paul.. Apart from being an amazing spinner he was such a Nice Guy

My deepest condolences go out to Carole and all Pauls Family and Friends

Simon shared this excellent video of Paul on the floor

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dave nowell

Carole has asked me to post up Paul's funeral details, folks

Next Thursday (18th) at Dukinfield Crematorium, Greater Manchester, SK16 4EP, at 2.30pm.

Car sharing advised as there is limited parking

Thankyou to everyone for all your kind messages

​Please feel free to pass on these details via social media etc

Carole may not be back on facebook for a while

Social source share

Guest Bill Bingham

Such sad news, Paul will be missed by so many people, I for one would always say to Jayne on our way to a venue or weekender I hope Paul and Carole will be there. I will miss spinning in a corner of a dance floor with him and then having a beer,chat and laugh.

Our hearts go out to a Carole and  family

RIP Paul you will be truly missed 

Bill and Jayne Bingham

Edited by Bill Bingham
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!