Why No Goldmine Yate Cd?

Stevecee

Seeing Smiffys post about Ty Karim made me wonder why haven't we had a compilation of Yate tunes?

We've had Wigan, Mecca, Cleethorpes, Torch, Wheel, Stafford etc and a lot of people consider Yate to have been one of the best Allniters ever so what gives?

Of the top of my head along with Ty Karim, I reckon these should be on any cd of this venue

Del Counts - With Another Guy, Kris Peterson - Just As Much & Royal Five - Say It To My Face to name but 3

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

OH YES!!! blink.gif:lol::lol:

Larry Allen - Cant we talk it over

Rufus Lumley - Stronger than me

Willie & the Mighty Maginificents - Souling (c/u as Frankie Croker Danger Zone)

Elbie Parker - Please Keep away

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I might have to try and dig out some photo's.

It would be great to hear some of Clarkey views on ate, and some of the stories behind the tunes.

Social source share

I might have to try and dig out some photo's.

I've got some great ones of Randy, Sean and the Southgate crew and a mass of stories from Wid, Roger, Budgie, Dave Allcock, Tony Ellis and Clarkie too of course.

I'll have to co-opt Allison from the other side for the female perspective and in the vain hope that she remembers some of the bits I chemically erased from my brain.

Social source share

Seem to remember a track By Robbie Royal ...Only you ...Mercury, that was always regarded as a yate record, did have a copy years ago, I wonder if anyone else can remember it.

There used to be a coach go down from Derby, to yate every month, think it was about 1979 - 80, If you didn't go you was a nobody.......

JM

Social source share

Oh yes Yate when 'Clarkie' was King and the gear was shit hot, possibly one of the most underated venues in the scenes history, a CD would be a brilliant idea so do it soon Ady, MESSAGE to Tony Ellis.... hope your keeping well mate, seem to remember you played a major part in the Yate days.....without the likes of you, Clarkie,Pete Widison,Dave Greet, Dave Thorley,Hippo etc. i certainly would not have been inspired musically, you guys were without question way ahead of your time and it's about time you got the credit and recignition you so richly deserve, guys like you are true originals and i'm glad to call you a friend even though we don't hook up much these days, i just wish the likes of yourself and of course Ian were still out there doing it, still teach upstarts like me a thing or two...cheers Tony.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

And don't forget Horaces discoveries via Clarkie, Frankie and Johnny (sorry Mick) and Kiki Dee.

Sod it we'll do it on Kent, we've got more connections with the place. And it'll sound good too. What a great idea Steve.

link

Excellent news Ady, :lol:

I didn't really think about your connections with the place wink.gif , should have been obvious really!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Oh yes Yate when 'Clarkie' was King and the gear was shit hot, possibly one of the most underated venues in the scenes history, a CD would be a brilliant idea so do it soon Ady, MESSAGE to Tony Ellis.... hope your keeping well mate, seem to remember you played a major part in the Yate days.....without the likes of you, Clarkie,Pete Widison,Dave Greet, Dave Thorley,Hippo etc. i certainly would not have been inspired musically, you guys were without question way ahead of your time and it's about time you got the credit and recignition you so richly deserve, guys like you are true originals and i'm glad to call you a friend even though we don't hook up much these days, i just wish the likes of yourself and of course Ian were still out there doing it, still teach upstarts like me a thing or two...cheers Tony.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

I'd like to add Ady Pountain to that list and echo Mark's sentiments.

Social source share

So we have these tunes so far (not suggesting you should use em Ady), what other tunes do people associate with the place?

Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good

Del Counts - With Another Guy

Kris Peterson - Just As Much

Royal Five - Say It To My Face

Kiki Dee - Magic Carpet Ride

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You

I also link these with the place

Deena Johnson -Sad Girl

Connie Questall - Give Up Girl

Leon Thomas - L O V E

Joann Courcey - I Got The Power

Patti Labelle - Lovin Rules

Sterling Magee - Keep On

Gambrells - Jive Talk

Shamets - Don't Waste Your Time

Sweethearts - Beauty Is Just Skin Deep

Theo Coff - Lucky Day

Tojo - Broken Hearted Lover

Gia Mateo - If You Can't Say

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You

And for 70s tracks

Miraslav Virteous - Nyk City

Hokis Pokis - Swing

Miracles - Overture

Harold Melvin - The Love I Lost

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SteveCee
Social source share

How the F*** could i forget Ady Pountain......sorry, why don't we take this one step further and try and do an Authentic Yate reunion type bash, i'm sure it would work, trouble is what become of the venue?????

What a night that would be... Mr Clark, Ellis, Pountain, Greet, Thorley,Hippo etc. hitting the decks would simply be magic, would love to see the likes of 'Budgie' there and all the original Yate crew, oh can i do the warm up original punters spot and all that......lol

Even if it was an 8 till late bash i'm sure it would work.

The CD, THE EVENT OH I CAN TASTE IT!!!!!!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm pretty sure the Stars and Stroipes (as we would say) is still there. Dont know what it is called now.

My hairs are standing on end imagining it.

If anyone ever saw me post about oldies. I admit it I was wrong wink.gif

ps Greg always used to moan, that when he asked me at gigs if there was a record i wanted him to play. I would always say the Shamets, and be the only one dancing to it :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

So we have these tunes so far (not suggesting you should use em Ady), what other tunes do people associate with the place?

Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good

Del Counts - With Another Guy

Kris Peterson - Just As Much

Royal Five - Say It To My Face

Kiki Dee - Magic Carpet Ride

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You

I also link these with the place

Deena Johnson -Sad Girl

Connie Questall - Give Up Girl

Leon Thomas - L O V E

Joann Courcey - I Got The Power

Patti Labelle - Lovin Rules

Sterling Magee - Keep On

Gambrells - Jive Talk

Shamets - Don't Waste Your Time

Sweethearts - Beauty Is Just Skin Deep

Theo Coff - Lucky Day

Tojo - Broken Hearted Lover

Gia Mateo - If You Can't Say

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You

And for 70s tracks

Miraslav Virteous - Nyk City

Hokis Pokis - Swing

Miracles - Overture

Harold Melvin - The Love I Lost

Cheers

Steve

link

I would buy it.

Gia Mateo was number one on my first ever wants list. I loved Hokis Pokis before I learnt to differentiate between 60s and 70s.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry tokeep jumping in.

Ben Zine. The first record I ever heard at a nighter (It was Yate).

Of course you can mention it Mark.

TUNE!! could have been included in the Splitters thread biggrin.gif

Social source share

Old Yate flyer - yate.jpg

And one of Clarkie's reports;-

There's always been a good following of soul in the south, from the early days of SHADES CLUB and others, and since July the northern allnighter at Stars & Stripes Club in Yate has grown in stature and attendances. From a near 150 to a regular 300+ every fortnight it's a good and friendly venue in both surroundings and followers. Organised by the Southern Soul Club, who regularly run coaches to Wigan and St.Ives. have with the Stars & Stripes established a force to be reckoned with and unequalled in the south.

Although it's hidden away in the Yate Centre and a few miles from the motorway or railway at Bristol it is fairly accessible - and followers hitch it down from as far as Birmingham & Gloucester. The club itself is very well set out, ample seats and dance areas - a small kitchen provides soft drinks and snacks - an extra bonus is the very popular pool table.

Yet with Northern Soul it's the sounds that count - and for what people travel for. Predominantly it's the OLDIES and requests orientated kind of allnighter, with a load of UK obscurities thrown in from people like UK collector Pete Widdison. Even so a good mixture of these and TOP sounds are played and it seems to be a well proven formula in the contriversial OLDIES v NEWIES saga. Discs that seem to be getting an exclusive play and gaining popularity are FRANK LYNDON on Uptown; BOBBY BELL on RCA; DEAN COURTNEY on MGM; TOBIE BOWIE on Patheway, and PRINCE & PRINCESSES.

The popular biggies in late August were - INTERPLAY; GERRI GRAINGER; SAM WILLIAMS; LOU RAGLAND; BOBBY DIAMOND; LORRAINE SILVER and PAULA PARFITT.

So finally with so many scenes doing well in the North and Midlands it's a refreshing change to report a Southern Club doing it's bit in keeping the dancers happy and contented. From the guys who play football after the allnighter, to the coach driver who stays awake to enjoy the sounds, and from even the large labrador who made it there two weeks ago - here's to many more soul packers, muppet swinging hours at YATE!

Social source share

Always remember tunes like all the Lou Roberts MGM tracks Ten To One, You Fooled Me, Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Love, John Drevers - The Closer She Gets, Ad Libs - New York In The Dark, dare i mention Ben Zine - Village Of Tears and more will spring to mind i'm sure.

Good idea this.

And ... Buckinghams (Don't you care), Diane Newby (What you're putting me through), Margie & Formations (Sad illusion), Pinkooshins (Make it easy), Tamala Lewis (You won't say nothing) and Bobby Paris (I walked away) ...

Social source share

Rufus Lumley

Frankie and Johnny

Kiki Dee

Robbie Royal

Gia Mateo

Lou Roberts

John Drevers

Ben Zine

Frank Lyndon

Interplay

Bobby Diamond

Lorraine Silver

Paula Parfitt

Buckinghams

Pinkooshins

Bobby Paris

...sounds like a Top Pop Club :D:D:P

Only kidding - must have a bit of the old Viking in me :D

Godz

Social source share

Rufus Lumley

Frankie and Johnny

Kiki Dee

Robbie Royal

Gia Mateo

Lou Roberts

John Drevers

Ben Zine

Frank Lyndon

Interplay

Bobby Diamond

Lorraine Silver

Paula Parfitt

Buckinghams

Pinkooshins

Bobby Paris

...sounds like a Top Pop Club :D   :D   :P

Only kidding - must have a bit of the old Viking in me :D

Godz

link

I did mention this in a previous post, there was some cracking records played around that time.............. But man there was some crap played aswell. A bit like today, with rubbish like the Futures, and Gayle Adams :D

Social source share

Good to see a mention of Yate,  it was always a good laugh and is fondly remembered by the the people who went there. 

Adey I've got some good photos if you need them.

Tony Ellis    :D

link

Hello Tony :D

Clarkie sent me some superb pictures a couple of weeks ago of our old crew - you look so young and innocent :P

Social source share

Hello Tony  :D

Clarkie sent me some superb pictures a couple of weeks ago of our old crew - you look so young and innocent  :D

link

What do you mean - Tony IS still innocent, isn't he :P

Good to see I'm not the only one who still rates Yate on a good night as one of the best - sure,it wasn't as big as Wigan, but we always prided ourselves that there was never any of the bitchin' and backbitin' as there was between some jocks at other venues, it was almost a "collective" attitude.

But you can't have a Yate revival without Clarky - the rest of us would be there like a shot, and we've all talked about it over the years.

Mac (from Malvern) did a lot of local do's round Worcs, and did a fair few in Cheltenham with me. The last anyone heard, he came out (as if we didn't know, but it never seemed to bother any of us much!), moved to Derby, and I think got into the hi-energy scene. But no-one's heard a word on him since. Pity, as he was a good guy. On that point, Carol and Gerri should be added to the list as Mac was playing it uncovered while Sam stilled called it "Epitome of sound".

Sure I'll think of more when I sign off...

Jerry (Hippo).

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

A few more memories of Yate...

Ringleaders - Baby what has happened

Star Treks - Gonna need magic

Delites - Lover

Sherry and the Inverts - I'm lost

Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers

Betty Turner - Be careful girl

Memphians - South Memphis (another old Thorley c/up!)

and of course, Ian Dury's rhythm stick :P:D:D (it was a pre-Christmas niter you had to be there...)

Jerry (Hippo).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A few more memories of Yate...

Ringleaders - Baby what has happened

Star Treks - Gonna need magic

Delites - Lover

Sherry and the Inverts - I'm lost

Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers

Betty Turner - Be careful girl

Memphians - South Memphis (another old Thorley c/up!)

and of course, Ian Dury's rhythm stick :D   :P   :D (it was a pre-Christmas niter   you had to be there...)

Jerry (Hippo).

link

Jerry.

Did that actually happen. I cant have been there, and just put it down to inflated rumours by a few guys who werent too keen on some of the 70s stuff played. If I am correct, the party alleged to have played this was quite keen on 'the 70s stuff.

Taking of which:

Marva Hicks - looking over my shoulder. :D:D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

What a night that would be... Mr Clark, Ellis, Pountain, Greet, Thorley,Hippo etc. hitting the decks would simply be magic

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Well, apart from Ian the rest of us have all dj'd together during this past year Mark - at Ady P and Dave G's joint birthday bash. Now there was agathering of the great and not-so-good!

Jerry.

Social source share

Jerry.

Did that actually happen. I cant have been there, and just put it down to inflated rumours by a few guys who werent too keen on some of the 70s stuff played. If I am correct, the party alleged to have played this was quite keen on 'the 70s stuff.

Taking of which:

Marva Hicks - looking over my shoulder. :P   :D

link

Yes, it did happen, along with the Muppets theme , but only because it was a VERY silly night - I wouldn't have thought that anyone took it as a serious spin mate!

Jerry.

Social source share

Went round to Ady Pountains the other week with Budgie, JoT and Dave Greet and we had a Yate revival in his record room. All of us singing at the top of our voices and doing carpet dancing. Superb memories.

link

Is he back in Cheltenham then? Any chance of PM me his email address / contact details

thanks

Simon

Social source share

Is he back in Cheltenham then? Any chance of PM me his email address / contact details

thanks

Simon

link

Still based in Cheltenham, but just left to work in the US for a couple of years...nothing changes, still gadding around the globe. He'll be back at Christmas. I'll PM you his email address.

Social source share

Bits from Soul Symbol mag April 1979:

IAN CLARKS MARCH MONSTERS

Rita and the Tiaras - Gone with the wind is my love

Frank Dell - He broke your game wide open

Wilbur Walton Jr. - 24 Hours of loneliness

Precisions - Such misery

Capitols - Can't deny that I love you

Sam Williams - I got a strange feeling (c/u) (Herb Ward - Strange change)

Otis Smith - C'mon and dance now (c/u) (Never worked out what this was!)

Joe Hicks - I still care (c/u) (Virgil Murray - with the quote "would rip Wigan apart"!)

MACS TOP TEN

Syng McGowan - That's what I want

Outsiders - Gotta leave us alone

Beverly Wright - Where the good times are

Inspirations - Your wish is my command

Rex Garvin - You don't need no help

Crampton Sisters - Baby, baby

Melvin Davis - Find a quiet place

Orsa Lia - Chain of life

Chris Bartley - You get next to my heart

Robbie Royal - Only you

HIPPOS FEATURED OLDIES

American Youth Choir - Keep your fine self near me

Otis Clay - Showplace

Anita Humes and the Essex - Everybody's got you

Lou Lawton - Wrapped in a dream

Mighty marvelows - I'm so confused

Martha Starr - No part time love for me

...and THE ELLIS EXPLANATION

Martha and the Vandellas - Come and get these memories

Gene Chandler - She's such a pretty thing

Supremes - There's no stopping us now

Kelly Brothers - Love time

Etta James/Sugar Pie DeSanto - Do I make myself clear

Not a bad cross section...no modern though :lol::lol::lol:

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

I'm pretty sure the Stars and Stroipes (as we would say) is still there. Dont know what it is called now.

link

It is still there but there's a big eff off Tesco's in front of it where the big car park used to be. You can still see the steps that went up the side. When I was in the area a couple of years back I had a peek and it was then a nightclub called, I think, Time.

Polly Palmer told me he'd looked at the venue a few years back with a view to promoting a revival nighter or dayer but the place was unrecognisable. It had been divided up into smaller units and the nightclub was your typical 90s maze of bars and small dancefloor areas.

Funnily enough, I came across a couple from Bristol who knew little about the Northern scene but fondly remembered the Stars & Stripes as a Jazz Funk venue in the late 70s/early 80s. Though not involved with such altercations, they also recalled the occasional punch-ups between the local wildlife and the Northern crowd waiting in the early hours of Sunday morning to go into the venue. Small world........but I wouldn't want to paint it.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Spookily enough i worked in Yate for a couple of years a while back and used to get me lunch from that self same Tesco's trying to work out what was where and so on. I can't see a revival ever happening at the same same place for the exact same reason's you mentioned Mark (BTW the wildlife ain't changed much either always the same in these small market towns though eh :lol: )

I never did locate the place i first peirced my ear (well where the bus was parked :lol: ) Happy days with Shute and co on the Stoke bus :lol::lol::D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!