Eugene remus, m-1001, bootleg,???

De-to

I have been offered a few 60s motown 45s from the usa and all sound ok as the seller has described the matrix,stamp numbers in the run-out grooves, but i am a bit wary of the following 45, its a motown vinyl pink striped copy of motown-1001, eugene remus, "gotta have your lovin`" /" you never miss a good thing", it does not have other stamps/matrix in the run-out apart from at 6-0 clock on the "you never miss a good thing" side it has scratched in H-55510 and on the "gotta have your lovin`" side at around 7-0 clock it has scratched in H-55509,the print on both labels looks fine and not feint and is in a nice ex condition, so should this 45 have more stamps/matrix in the run-off, is it a boot or not, ????, thanks de-to...    

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not sure on the details (not at my den) but the Eugene Remus 45s were called back in ...and reissued with new versions, pressings, b sides etc. If I get chance I'll see what I've got on his 45s

Social source share

I can't check mine as I won't be with my US 45s until September.  But it sounds like it MIGHT be legit.  I don't remember ALL the early Motown pressings having machine stamped-in entries.  Have you checked "Can't Forget The Motor city" website?

Social source share

YNMAGT was issued and called back for a change of b side.

THEN it was reissued with added strings. Maybe your 45 was one of the reissued and not a 'new' press

Social source share

Hi,

Just checked my 2 x copies of this 45 , the Issue and the rarer Issue / dj copy promo of YNMAGT / GHYL , mine are both stamped L8OW 7990- 1A and L8OW 7989 - 1B and GHYL side which is the dj wlp side has H-55509 on both copies , there are NO other Matrix marks at all , and both mine are originals , hope that helps you , these are ALL MACHINE STAMPED on mine, I know there are certain later Motown stripes 45s issued in 80ts and later but these are easy to see the difference, but cannot recall seeing a Eugene Remus boot issue ? cheers  Gilly

Edited by soulgrooves
Social source share

I concur that Eugene Remus did NOT have a boot in the early '80s when a few Satintones (Motown and Tamla) and Miricles on Motown and a rare Miracles' Tamla side were all booted.  If you scan it and put it up here on this thread - with good resolution,  I (and probably others of us here) could tell you if it looks fake. 

Social source share

Hi,

Just checked my 2 x copies of this 45 , the Issue and the rarer Issue / dj copy promo of YNMAGT / GHYL , mine are both stamped L8OW 7990- 1A and L8OW 7989 - 1B and GHYL side which is the dj wlp side has H-55509 on both copies , there are NO other Matrix marks at all , and both mine are originals , hope that helps you , these are ALL MACHINE STAMPED on mine, I know there are certain later Motown stripes 45s issued in 80ts and later but these are easy to see the difference, but cannot recall seeing a Eugene Remus boot issue ? cheers  Gilly

Your issues were both pressed at RCA (Midwest) , thus the stamper and L8OW codes.  That was probably a regionwide issue.  Maybe the issue being offered to De-To was a local pressing at a small Detroit plant that was the first small local pressing (thus the etching-only of the H numbers (Motown's in-house code).  I can't imagine enough interest in Eugene Remus' cuts to warrant a special lookalike boot.  If such a boot had been made, it would have been made for Motown completists, and we'd have seen more early Motowns and Tamlas booted, as well as the Rayber, and probably the rarer Miracle records.

Social source share

Hi RobbK , Cheers and agree would doubt a boot  never seen one of that particular 45 , ( althou understand why people query it nowadays as everything seems to get booted ) but as you say could be etched due to local pressing plant , but I suppose everyone expects to see Bell sound , Arp, or Audio Matrix but not on all in my experience , I hold quite a few early ones inc rare that being the case on some , thanx for the input - Dave  

Social source share

Your issues were both pressed at RCA (Midwest) , thus the stamper and L8OW codes.  That was probably a regionwide issue.  Maybe the issue being offered to De-To was a local pressing at a small Detroit plant that was the first small local pressing (thus the etching-only of the H numbers (Motown's in-house code).  I can't imagine enough interest in Eugene Remus' cuts to warrant a special lookalike boot.  If such a boot had been made, it would have been made for Motown completists, and we'd have seen more early Motowns and Tamlas booted, as well as the Rayber, and probably the rarer Miracle records.

​Thanks for the info Robb...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!