• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Moloko - Familiar Feeling video

The first I heard of Moloko, Steve Cato sent me an email saying they needed 30 or so Northern Soul dancers to be in their video for their new song. He asked me to send out the details on the in town list, to see if he could get any takers.

Until then I had no idea who they were, so I went on the website and read the bumf and looked at the photos. I knew I had seen the girl before but couldn't work out where. I didn't recognise the names of any of their songs, but asked a few younger work colleagues, and all were very positive about the band.

Keb had organised a little dance workshop in the West End a few days before the video, where he could show people how to shuffle.

The instructions were to be at a pub in West London about 10.30. Nobody needed asking twice to do that heh heh. Luckily I thought to bring my old Spencers along with me. Even though my waste line had increased way beyond what it was at 14, I could still wear them, as long as I pulled my jumper down far enough to hide the unfastened zip. :thumbsup: Some of the other guys and girls were choosing their 'costumes' for the day. Others were having their hair cut, or having makeup applied.

Inside the venue we could hear snippets of the song being played again and again. One wag came out of the venue with a tray of pints and said "bar's open"(Off Topic - remember when I went off on one about what Northern Soul meant to me, and I said about people you have known for 20 odd years, but don't know their name. He is a case in point, lovely bloke, never known his name) so most headed straight in there. Food was laid on and the party began when someone put a tape on in the coach we were using as a changing room/bag store.

Early afternoon and Marco Santucci came out and said they were just about ready to start filming the dancing, and did we want to go into the main hall. It was a cracking venue with a lovely high ceiling (has this ever held soul nights?) Rob Holmes got behind the decks while Elaine Constantine, the director and northern soul stalwart, explained a few things. When Roisin came in and was talking to Marco and Elaine, the penny dropped. She comes down the 100 club with those guys.

Rob played plenty of up tempo numbers to get the feet moving. Time, Ho Happy Day, There was a time, stuff like that. No prisoners on the dance floor. A few actors were mingling in the dancers, exchanging greetings, and Roisin joined us on the floor. She had to perform a spin, and I remember Elaine asking her to do it again and again. When she was spinning by me, she mucked up the finish a couple of times. The one in the video where she nails it, you can just about make out me behind having a little chuckle to myself that she had got it spot on.

When all the dance scenes had been filmed we then had to do the outside queue stuff. This entailed lots of sitting around, sobering up in the cold night air, and lots of pushing. All good fun. The day wrapped up with a fleet of taxi's ferrying us all to various parts of London, tired and knackered, and with a few crisp bank notes in our sky rockets. Getting paid to dress up, dance to favourite records, eat nice food and drink beer. Nah this acting lark isn't for me.

Quote of the day.

Elaine "Trickster, stay where you are dancing and stop following the flamin' camera!"

I got a little lump in my throat watching the vid on my computer. Lisa Hurley gave me a copy of the video, but I threw my old player out when it broke, and replaced it with a DVD. Watching That Girl Lynne on there dancing and having a great time was a happy sad moment.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Mikey - that was a highly entertaining account of the day and had me chuckling throughout. At one stage I had multipal shivvers as I realised what was going on. The concept of the video very enjoyable and well shot. Must have been a bit of a nightmare to sync up the audio beat and steps to the 'footage'. The shot from under the glass was good and could have been used one more time I think. A great start to my day...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not long after Matt Bolton wrote an excellent review of the day, either on here or on the 100 club website. Unfortunately my knowledge of the workings of websites isnt up to much, so cant find it. Apart from matt having a better grasp on written English, he wrote it while the memories wer still fresh in his mind. It would be good to see it on this thread if some kind soul could do the leg work ;-)

Social source share

Elaine "Trickster, stay where you are dancing and stop following the flamin' camera!"

LOL - why doesn't that surprise me :thumbsup:

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Not long after Matt Bolton wrote an excellent review of the day, either on here or on the 100 club website. Unfortunately my knowledge of the workings of websites isnt up to much, so cant find it. Apart from matt having a better grasp on written English, he wrote it while the memories wer still fresh in his mind. It would be good to see it on this thread if some kind soul could do the leg work ;-)

Done a bit of a search and can't find it on here :thumbsup:

Social source share

Certainly some nifty footwork going on.... that shuffling is great :lol:

Moloko - Familiar Feeling video

The first I heard of Moloko, Steve Cato sent me an email saying they needed 30 or so Northern Soul dancers to be in their video for their new song. He asked me to send out the details on the in town list, to see if he could get any takers.

Until then I had no idea who they were, so I went on the website and read the bumf and looked at the photos. I knew I had seen the girl before but couldn't work out where. I didn't recognise the names of any of their songs, but asked a few younger work colleagues, and all were very positive about the band.

Keb had organised a little dance workshop in the West End a few days before the video, where he could show people how to shuffle.

The instructions were to be at a pub in West London about 10.30. Nobody needed asking twice to do that heh heh. Luckily I thought to bring my old Spencers along with me. Even though my waste line had increased way beyond what it was at 14, I could still wear them, as long as I pulled my jumper down far enough to hide the unfastened zip. :thumbsup: Some of the other guys and girls were choosing their 'costumes' for the day. Others were having their hair cut, or having makeup applied.

Inside the venue we could hear snippets of the song being played again and again. One wag came out of the venue with a tray of pints and said "bar's open"(Off Topic - remember when I went off on one about what Northern Soul meant to me, and I said about people you have known for 20 odd years, but don't know their name. He is a case in point, lovely bloke, never known his name) so most headed straight in there. Food was laid on and the party began when someone put a tape on in the coach we were using as a changing room/bag store.

Early afternoon and Marco Santucci came out and said they were just about ready to start filming the dancing, and did we want to go into the main hall. It was a cracking venue with a lovely high ceiling (has this ever held soul nights?) Rob Holmes got behind the decks while Elaine Constantine, the director and northern soul stalwart, explained a few things. When Roisin came in and was talking to Marco and Elaine, the penny dropped. She comes down the 100 club with those guys.

Rob played plenty of up tempo numbers to get the feet moving. Time, Ho Happy Day, There was a time, stuff like that. No prisoners on the dance floor. A few actors were mingling in the dancers, exchanging greetings, and Roisin joined us on the floor. She had to perform a spin, and I remember Elaine asking her to do it again and again. When she was spinning by me, she mucked up the finish a couple of times. The one in the video where she nails it, you can just about make out me behind having a little chuckle to myself that she had got it spot on.

When all the dance scenes had been filmed we then had to do the outside queue stuff. This entailed lots of sitting around, sobering up in the cold night air, and lots of pushing. All good fun. The day wrapped up with a fleet of taxi's ferrying us all to various parts of London, tired and knackered, and with a few crisp bank notes in our sky rockets. Getting paid to dress up, dance to favourite records, eat nice food and drink beer. Nah this acting lark isn't for me.

Quote of the day.

I got a little lump in my throat watching the vid on my computer. Lisa Hurley gave me a copy of the video, but I threw my old player out when it broke, and replaced it with a DVD. Watching That Girl Lynne on there dancing and having a great time was a happy sad moment.

Mikey - that was a highly entertaining account of the day and had me chuckling throughout. At one stage I had multipal shivvers as I realised what was going on. The concept of the video very enjoyable and well shot. Must have been a bit of a nightmare to sync up the audio beat and steps to the 'footage'. The shot from under the glass was good and could have been used one more time I think. A great start to my day...

Thanks for taking the time to share this account

I've saved us the journey to google to watch the clip

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!