Newquay Weekender

Joto

Well it's Monday night and we are still buzzing.......

Many thanks to everyone who made the Newquay Weekender such a great success.

The music was great and it was brilliant that so many got into the vibe of exploring Cornwall in the day time before partying at night,but the best thing was that so many Soul fans - some with very diverse musical tastes - took the trouble to make what in many cases was a long long journey to come along and create something special.We have never seen so many smiling faces.

Thank you for creating such a brilliant atmosphere.

And sorry -- but it's too late to query the answers to the Saturday afternoon Soul Quiz!

Jo,Tony,Angela,Neil

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It was won fair square and outright ! To knackered to write too much now...came back to a friends crisis (armed police twice in one night anyone?) so been up all night again, but what a great weekend!

Guest LadyofSoul

Can't believe the numbers who came to Newquay. It may not seem big in northern or Midlands terms but it was huge for Cornwall. I was worried that Jo and Tony would be faced with empty rooms - no reward for all the effort they put in. It is for others to say whether they had a good time, but judging by the packed dancefloor in both rooms it seems they did. The weather was not brilliant - but this could be a good thing because it kept the venue full most of the time.

Guest stash313

Really, Really enjoyable weekend...

As it turned out didn't spend as much time at the weekender as planned because there was just so many 'non' soul things we wanted to cram in, but when we did the music was of a high quality with a friendly crowd out for a good time...

Highlights for me Neil Rushton, Mark Grice, Lin & Jamie Taylor, Soul Sam upstairs on the saturday night, Simon White, Mike Ritson.

Just some fantastic music all weekend.

I didn't think the weather was too bad, when we arrived on friday afternoon it was glorious sunshine. The less said about saturday's weather the better but sunday was once again a gorgeous day.

My first visit to that part of the country and I will definitely be going again.

Thanks to the promoters for an enjoyable weekend.

Edited by stash313
Guest stash313

I would say more of a northern weekender Baz, but I went mainly for the Modern room and enjoyed everyone's sets.

The modern room obviously wan't as busy as the Northern room but there was still a decent atmosphere there with some great music.

I would say more of a northern weekender Baz, but I went mainly for the Modern room and enjoyed everyone's sets.

The modern room obviously wan't as busy as the Northern room but there was still a decent atmosphere there with some great music.

Cheers sean, noticed you and simon on the thread quite abit so assumed it might have been more a modern do :thumbsup:

I'd just like to say many thanks to Jo,Tony etc for organising a brilliant weekend.As they say quite a drive even for someone on the south coast.Made to feel welcome on arrival at The Griffin.

Friday night spent downstairs in company of friends who made the journey from Bournemouth as well.Cracking sets from all the dj's especially Rob Kay who I haven't heard before but what a superb last hour spot he played.

Out and about on saturday even got stuck on A30 when should have known better.

Saturday was even better.Great spots from Pete Lyster,Lee Vowles and Rob Kay again but highlight had to be Soul Sam in downstairs room.All i can say is haven't heard spot like that for ages.

Many thanks to all the other dj's who i haven't mentioned but thanks for making it a great weekend. :thumbsup::ohmy::lol:

When's the next one guys?

Dave Morris

Guest Marcelle

The music was great and it was brilliant that so many got into the vibe of exploring Cornwall in the day time before partying at night,but the best thing was that so many Soul fans - some with very diverse musical tastes - took the trouble to make what in many cases was a long long journey to come along and create something special.We have never seen so many smiling faces.

And sorry -- but it's too late to query the answers to the Saturday afternoon Soul Quiz!

Jo,Tony,Angela,Neil

Well done Jo, Tony, Angela & Neil ... so pleased for you all :thumbsup: maybe next year we will be able to get there :lol: may even be living nearer that way

could even plan a wedding around it :ohmy::yes: he` s away & no access to pc :yes:

Modern room upstairs, Northern downstairs and as is often the way bigger numbers in the Northern room...but the Modern room was buzzing, Lin Taylor and Jamie Taylor, Mark Grice, Soul Sam Neil Rushton and meself all across the board quality stuff, old and new, which is just the way it should be imho.

Downstairs was great, mellow and unusual Northern, R&B and Crossover stuff in the early evening, then more obvious banging and well known Northern and Motown in the evening with new and unknowns thrown into the mix (I want a copy of Errol Dixon on UK Carnival! ) Great venue, great people, nice to catch up with a few familiar faces (Hi Lee!) and Newquay has a lot to offer. If next year happens, flights are very cheap if booked in advance apparently ...I know how I'll get there .

Really enjoyed playing the Northern room (another chance to give the 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' remix an outing) I had a great time double decking with Mike Ritson on Sunday night despite leaving the records from the previous night at the hotel and being to pissed to go and get them ! Congrats to all involved for putting a great weekend on, photos in next months 'manifesto' i hope...looking forward to the next one...and as for the quiz :thumbsup: :dance: ....bring it on !

Edited by Simon White
Guest stash313

I missed you on sunday night Simon, was at the bar but according to Jayne when she saw you, you had nearly drunk it dry earlier on! ;-)

Nice to see you this weekend, roll on my next weekender at The Hilton.

Bloody hell sounds a way away, wish I could afford southport :-((((((((

Cheers sean, noticed you and simon on the thread quite abit so assumed it might have been more a modern do :yes:

Must admit i was thinking of coming up to this as i've been on holiday but reading between the bumpf it seemed to be a lot more Modern biased which put me off.

Bit gutted now as it seems like a great weekender, oh well maybe the next one.

Simon

Guest stash313

Must admit i was thinking of coming up to this as i've been on holiday but reading between the bumpf it seemed to be a lot more Modern biased which put me off.

Bit gutted now as it seems like a great weekender, oh well maybe the next one.

Simon

No not at all Simon, catered for most tastes and although i didn't spend much time downstairs people tell me it was very across the board.

No not at all Simon, catered for most tastes and although i didn't spend much time downstairs people tell me it was very across the board.

Ok, thanks Sean, to be honest i wouldn't want across the board either, just NS!

If there's another one i'd like to make the trip if at all possible, haven't been to Cornwall for a while, used to go there every year when i was a kid as my mum is from Cornwall.

Glad the do went really well!

Simon :yes:

Friday night spent downstairs in company of friends who made the journey from Bournemouth as well

Who else went then? I though it was just you me and Lindsay that travelled outside the county gates blush.gif

Guest lifeandsoul

Ok, thanks Sean, to be honest i wouldn't want across the board either, just NS!

If there's another one i'd like to make the trip if at all possible, haven't been to Cornwall for a while, used to go there every year when i was a kid as my mum is from Cornwall.

Glad the do went really well!

Simon blush.gif

wouldn't get the wrong impression, was all NS I'd say - pretty varied selections but all within NS. not at all atb in the wider definition, downstairs anyway......although of course in all those hours and two rooms i may have got the wrong impression, but i don't think so.

It was two distinct rooms..Modern and Northern. Depends what you call 'Crossover' I guess but if it means across the board as in Darell Banks, Jackie Wilson, Bobby Hutton, Voices Of East Harlem, The Jive Five, Betty Swann, The Entertainers, Marvin and Tammi, The Four Tops, Edwin Starr, unreleased Dee Dee Sharp, The Entertainers, rare Motown, Almetia Lattimore, Bobby Thurston, The Sheppards, The Dells, Jimmy Breedlove, J.J .Barnes, Joe Murphy, Ronnie mcCain, Baby Jean, Eroll Dixon, Fran Jeffries, Sidney Barmes ect etc ect then thats what it was !

As for upstairs....Lin and Lee could tell you what they played ('cos they're both on here) from my side it was Kathy Sledge, Leos Sunshipp, Harvey Mason, Syl Johnson, Black Science Orchestra, R Kelly (' Thank God It's Friday' ...great track !) Atlantic Starr, Carl Anderson, Tavares, David Ruffin, 7th Wonder, ect ect.

wouldn't get the wrong impression, was all NS I'd say - pretty varied selections but all within NS. not at all atb in the wider definition, downstairs anyway......although of course in all those hours and two rooms i may have got the wrong impression, but i don't think so.

Who else went then? I though it was just you me and Lindsay that travelled outside the county gates thumbsup.gif

Karen,

Ian and Denise Spittle were there as was Dave and Tracy Bentley.Dave sold a good few records as well.

Must mention that the downstairs bar ran out of Bud on sat. nite so good job they had plenty of Becks and Magners.

Once again great weekend. :shhh::shhh:

Dave.

As for upstairs....Lin and Lee could tell you what they played ('cos they're both on here) from my side it was Kathy Sledge, Leos Sunshipp, Harvey Mason, Syl Johnson, Black Science Orchestra, R Kelly (' Thank God It's Friday' ...great track !) Atlantic Starr, Carl Anderson, Tavares, David Ruffin, 7th Wonder, ect ect.

Hi

I would say numbers wise the attendance was definately predominantly northern biased by a mile and musically I thought it was incredibly diverse especially in the modern room ,it wouldnt be fair on me to comment on the Northern room as I didn't spend much time there but what a lovely atmospheric room !!

Upstairs I played contemporary modern soul in the main with a bias towards brand new music and some 90ts offerings often referred to on here as "disco crap " :shhh::shhh:thumbsup.gif Simon , you played some new music on Friday too didn't you ??

Anyway I thought this was a really nice little intimate weekender ,poles apart from the big corporate events , exceptionally friendly people ..(lots of ex Albrighton regulars we hadn't seen for a while) ..nice venue ,surrounded by the beautiful Cornish Landscape and the promoters were incredibly warm and welcoming ,couldn't do enough to make sure everyone was having a good time ..and I really liked that personal touch.

I sincerely hope they continue with this as it makes a change to go to a Weekender in that part of the country rather than the frozen north west :lol::lol:

Thanks to all concerned for the invite .

Lin Taylor

Guest matt tees

Jo,Tony,Angela,Neil

Well done to everybody it sounded like a great weekender, I was absolutely gutted to say the least I could not attend but I already had prior DJ bookings. These smaller weekenders are really enjoyable and much more intimate. A massive plus to cornwall soulies and all those who travelled.

Upstairs I played contemporary modern soul in the main with a bias towards brand new music and some 90ts offerings often referred to on here as "disco crap " huh.gif:(:( Simon , you played some new music on Friday too didn't you ??

Yep Lin, I did play some newer stuff like Marva King 'Know You' Ray Robinson, Billy Griffin and a track from the Jay Proctor album. It seems like a distant memory already !

Well done to everybody it sounded like a great weekender, I was absolutely gutted to say the least I could not attend but I already had prior DJ bookings. These smaller weekenders are really enjoyable and much more intimate. A massive plus to cornwall soulies and all those who travelled.

Matt

we are in the process of planning the next Newquay weekend, and sincerly hope you can make it. We wanted to ensure that people actually wanted number 2, before we ploughed

on with it. It seems from the response and feedback thet they do !!

if you decide to come i will endeavour to make your plans as smooth as possible, and will help with accomodation etc, you can actually fly into Newquay Airport quite reasonably i have been told, something to think about.

Jo

Karen,

Ian and Denise Spittle were there as was Dave and Tracy Bentley.Dave sold a good few records as well.

Must mention that the downstairs bar ran out of Bud on sat. nite so good job they had plenty of Becks and Magners.

Once again great weekend. huh.gif:(

Hi Dave, didn't know the bud ran out, i did warn steve ( manager of the griffin ) of the possibilty of running out of various things over weekend, He didn't think it was possible !!!

, i will make sure it dosen't happen next time,

jo

Dave.

Memories much too hazy to attempt a this followed that playlist but here were some of the records I played in the Northern room that got a good response:

GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE - THE SOUL TWINS

JUST CAN'T TRUST NOBODY - CHUCK HOLLIDAY

DANCING A HOLE IN THE WORLD - JIMMY DELPHS

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES YOU - JACKIE WILSON

I'M THE ONE TO DO IT (DUET) - JACKIE WILSON AND LAVERN BAKER

I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU - DARRELL BANKS

LOVE IS ALRIGHT - JESSE JAMES

SHE'S WANTED -LARRY CLINTON

CHEATING KIND - DON GARDNER

BECAUSE OF MY HEART- FRANK BEVERLY

All the Best,

Neil

Apologies for late posting but we only got back last night having extended our stay after the weekender.

Many thanks to Jo,Tony,Neil and Angela for the warm welcome and for an excellent weekend. We have spent many weeks in Newquay over the past 25 years or more and have recently found a problem with the night life due to our love of soul music and most of the pubs in Newquay catering for the younger generation.This was just what we needed to solve the problem.

The whole weekend was very well organised by all concerned including the very friendly staff at The Griffin in particular the young girl serving downstairs who had a permanent smile on her face, I think she enjoyed the music as well.

We did not know what to expect from a music point of view but despite there being lots of Classic Oldies played which is not to our taste there were also several DJ's who played something different which made each night a good mix and something for everyone.

The highlights musically for us were Rob Kay's early Sat Am spot (Kings Of Soul - Is Your Love For Me,Magnetics - Count The Days),Soul Sam on Saturday Night(Differences- 5 minutes, Brand New - 1,000 Years, Cashmeres- Don't Let The Door Hit Your Back) and Gary Holyman's crossover spot on Sunday Night which included a superb track from The Dells which I had not heared before and didn't catch the title.Thanks also to Paul Bennett for playing 2 from Harry Starr in his spot including the awesome Another Time,Another Place which I requested.

We didn't visit The Modern Room very often but when we did the music was a little too modern for us but the dance floor was excellent(credit to Tony for that as he told me he laid it) and the room was a decent size.

To sum up it was a superb weekend,great venue,very friendly crowd and a good mix of music all round with something for everyone.

We met some very nice people in particular Elaine and Ray from Notts who were in the same Guest House as us and Carol and Paul from Manchester, hope to see you all soon.

Thanks again to all concerned and hope to see you next year.

Paul & Sue, Mark & Elaine, DONCASTER.

edited........ the very friendly staff at The Griffin in particular the young girl serving downstairs who had a permanent smile on her face, I think she enjoyed the music as well.

........ .The highlights musically for us were,,,,,,,,, and Gary Holyman's crossover spot on Sunday Night which included a superb track from The Dells which I had not heared before and didn't catch the title.

for everyone.

and Paul from Manchester, hope to see you all soon.

The girl behind the bar was great...she loved it ! Was The Dells tracks 'Don't Trick Me, Treat Me'? Has to go big one day surely?

Source Advert