Capitol Soul Club 3rd Anniversary Nov 29th 2002

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

just trawling through some old emails and found one from either Greg or Alan with a listing of the kind of stuff they were going to play.

thought it might rekindle a few happy memories.

this might be easier to read

DreamTeam - I'm Not Satisfied -

Gregory.Fred & The Turbines ->Bernadine -

>Cenco.

Frank Foster - Movin' back from Detroit - c/up.

Judy Freeman - Hold on - RCA unissued LP version.

Soul Inc. - My proposal - Coconut Groove

>.Sept. Jones - Give me all of your love - Pied Piper unissued.

Esther Grant - Lets make the most out of love - Wilstone.

Jeoy Delarenzo - Wake up to the sunshine girl - Mival.

Kindly Sheppards - Lend me your hand ->Checker.

Mayfield singers -Don't stop none - Unissued vocal.

Jokers - Soul sound - Sko-Field.

Eddie Campbell - Contagious love - Artco.

Ty Karim -You just don't know - Romark.

Sidney Barnes - Safety Zone -Jobette

>(Unissued) Allen Sisters -I'm in with the downtown crowd -

Test pressing.Isonics - Sugar -

Kammy.Jennifer wells -Dining out in Chinatown -

Genuine.Districts - One Lover just won't do - Nile.

Temptones - Baby yes i do - Unissued Virtue.

BJ Thomas - Keep it up - Joed.

Helen troy C/up -

>Fran Oliver C/up-

Little Richie C/up etc etc etc.

Classic floor fillers over the last 3 years

>

>Bobby adams & Betty Lou - Dr Truelove -Tarx

>Utopias - Girls are against me - La salle

>Sonnatas - Going on down the road - Hot Line

>Eddie Parker - I'm gone - Awake

>Don gardner - Cheating Kind - Segdrick

>Blue jays - Point of view - jay

>Nomads - Somethin's bad - Mo-Groov

>Appointments - I saw you there - Delite

>Senations - Demanding man - Way out

>Pat lewis - No one to love - Solid Hit

>Grovettes - Think it over baby - Reness

>Inmates - This is the day - Kopit

>Four hearts - Who do you think you are - Shee

>Antellects - Love slave - Flodavieur

>Jimmie & The Entertainers - New girl - Toddlin' Town

>Rodd Keith & The Raindrops - The Lord said - Preview

>Lonnie Russ - Say girl - Kerwood

>Gene Toones - What more do you want - Simco

>Monique - If you love me - Maurci

>Jimmy Ricks - Oh what a feeling - Festival

>Mousie & The Traps - How about you - Toddlin' Town

>New Wanderers - Ain't gonna do you no harm - Ready

>Magnetics - Heart your made of stone - Bonnie

>Classics - So glad that i found you - Yang-G

>Magnetics - I have a girl - Rasel

>Curly Moore - You Don't mean - Sansu

>Johnny Mae Matthews - Don't talk about my man - Big D

>Mello Soul - We can make it - Mello

>Frank Wilson - Do i love you - Soul (Alright Kenny pal!)

>Al williams - I am Nothing - La beat

>Springers - Nothings to good for my baby - Wale

>Timmie Williams - Competition - Mala

>

>

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great memories indeed Mikey, my fave club ever, always a brilliant atmosphere, week long build ups on the web beforehand, great tunes, great djs & going back to a thread that's going on here at the moment, young people!!

The place had enthusiasm & energy, maybe i'm looking at it through rose coloured specs but everyone always seemed to be in a good mood & really up for the night!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Great memories indeed Mikey, my fave club ever, always a brilliant atmosphere, week long build ups on the web beforehand, great tunes, great djs & going back to a thread that's going on here at the moment, young people!!

The place had enthusiasm & energy, maybe i'm looking at it through rose coloured specs but everyone always seemed to be in a good mood & really up for the night!

Simon :ohmy:

Totally agree Simon. Great to see you on here by the way. Say hi to Samantha for me :thumbsup:

As you say, lots of young faces at that night, cracking tunes and the promotors even provided the talc :ohmy:

It is about the closest to the allnighter feel I have ever experienced in a soul night. And as I said at the time. in years to come may even be spoken of in the same breath as niters rather like the Mecca is.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Totally agree Simon. Great to see you on here by the way. Say hi to Samantha for me :thumbsup:

Will do Mikey, haven't seen you for a fair time, be great to see you at a venue sometime in the near future!

Cheers mate

Simon

Social source share

just trawling through some old emails and found one from either Greg or Alan with a listing of the kind of stuff they were going to play.

thought it might rekindle a few happy memories.

this might be easier to read

DreamTeam - I'm Not Satisfied -

Gregory.Fred & The Turbines ->Bernadine -

>Cenco.

Frank Foster - Movin' back from Detroit - c/up.

Judy Freeman - Hold on - RCA unissued LP version.

Soul Inc. - My proposal - Coconut Groove

>.Sept. Jones - Give me all of your love - Pied Piper unissued.

Esther Grant - Lets make the most out of love - Wilstone.

Jeoy Delarenzo - Wake up to the sunshine girl - Mival.

Kindly Sheppards - Lend me your hand ->Checker.

Mayfield singers -Don't stop none - Unissued vocal.

Jokers - Soul sound - Sko-Field.

Eddie Campbell - Contagious love - Artco.

Ty Karim -You just don't know - Romark.

Sidney Barnes - Safety Zone -Jobette

>(Unissued) Allen Sisters -I'm in with the downtown crowd -

Test pressing.Isonics - Sugar -

Kammy.Jennifer wells -Dining out in Chinatown -

Genuine.Districts - One Lover just won't do - Nile.

Temptones - Baby yes i do - Unissued Virtue.

BJ Thomas - Keep it up - Joed.

Helen troy C/up -

>Fran Oliver C/up-

Little Richie C/up etc etc etc.

Classic floor fillers over the last 3 years

>

>Bobby adams & Betty Lou - Dr Truelove -Tarx

>Utopias - Girls are against me - La salle

>Sonnatas - Going on down the road - Hot Line

>Eddie Parker - I'm gone - Awake

>Don gardner - Cheating Kind - Segdrick

>Blue jays - Point of view - jay

>Nomads - Somethin's bad - Mo-Groov

>Appointments - I saw you there - Delite

>Senations - Demanding man - Way out

>Pat lewis - No one to love - Solid Hit

>Grovettes - Think it over baby - Reness

>Inmates - This is the day - Kopit

>Four hearts - Who do you think you are - Shee

>Antellects - Love slave - Flodavieur

>Jimmie & The Entertainers - New girl - Toddlin' Town

>Rodd Keith & The Raindrops - The Lord said - Preview

>Lonnie Russ - Say girl - Kerwood

>Gene Toones - What more do you want - Simco

>Monique - If you love me - Maurci

>Jimmy Ricks - Oh what a feeling - Festival

>Mousie & The Traps - How about you - Toddlin' Town

>New Wanderers - Ain't gonna do you no harm - Ready

>Magnetics - Heart your made of stone - Bonnie

>Classics - So glad that i found you - Yang-G

>Magnetics - I have a girl - Rasel

>Curly Moore - You Don't mean - Sansu

>Johnny Mae Matthews - Don't talk about my man - Big D

>Mello Soul - We can make it - Mello

>Frank Wilson - Do i love you - Soul (Alright Kenny pal!)

>Al williams - I am Nothing - La beat

>Springers - Nothings to good for my baby - Wale

>Timmie Williams - Competition - Mala

>

>

============

Also thought that under the guidance of Matt, Alan, Greg, Carl and Flynny, the Dome was the absolute dogs bollox. Particularly the first 4 or so years. Great club, great memories

Winnie:-)

Social source share

============

Also thought that under the guidance of Matt, Alan, Greg, Carl and Flynny, the Dome was the absolute dogs bollox. Particularly the first 4 or so years. Great club, great memories

Must agree with you there, :thumbsup: ................

Social source share

The September 2002 CSC at the Dome was the first club I'd been to for years, so glad I went. The music wasn't what I expected to hear, it was at least 2 hours before I heard a record I knew.

Seeing that playlist brought back great memories, those would still fill the floor today imo.

Funnily enough was playing Mayfield Singers on my MP3 player on the train today.

Still miss the CSC and These Old Shoes.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The September 2002 CSC at the Dome was the first club I'd been to for years, so glad I went. The music wasn't what I expected to hear, it was at least 2 hours before I heard a record I knew.

Seeing that playlist brought back great memories, those would still fill the floor today imo.

Funnily enough was playing Mayfield Singers on my MP3 player on the train today.

Still miss the CSC and These Old Shoes.

Me too... :yes: and that's lovely of you to say so, Geoff....I had the honour of djing at Capitol Soul Mk1 and Capitol Soul Mk2...and doing the cloakroom :D .anyone remember the men in towels :D and the Dome...for the first couple of years, it couldn't be topped :yes: Respect to everyone who was involved :D Jo

Social source share

have to say that I have great memories of t'Dome...from waking up on Flynny's floor (one hours sleep after reading record lists, remember that Mark George :yes: .)..and several magical car journeys home to Chelters with the rising sun gleaming on the nights vinyl purchases...yup, goes down in the top ten of good times for me!

Hippo.

Social source share

Only went to the dome a few times, but i've found it hard to find a soul night to top that one,

CSC possibly the best soul night ever?

============

Probably the best soul night in the country for 3 years, they just seemed to get the balance so right. Favourite story, when Matt told me a very well known DJ wanted to play there, Matt, not sure who he was said send me a tape I'll give it a listen. This from a man who used to colour code his records because he couldn't remember if they were stompers, beat ballads etc. Greg told me he once exchanged the red and the green dots just for a bit of fun :shhh: The place just had it 'going on' blush.gif

Social source share

============

Probably the best soul night in the country for 3 years, they just seemed to get the balance so right. Favourite story, when Matt told me a very well known DJ wanted to play there, Matt, not sure who he was said send me a tape I'll give it a listen. This from a man who used to colour code his records because he couldn't remember if they were stompers, beat ballads etc. Greg told me he once exchanged the red and the green dots just for a bit of fun :lol:The place just had it 'going on' :shhh:

I'll second them statments :shhh:

Like some one mentioned (think it was Mikey) had an all nighter feel with out being a nighter.....just bloody marvelous wicked.gif

Social source share

I'll second them statments :shhh:

Like some one mentioned (think it was Mikey) had an all nighter feel with out being a nighter.....just bloody marvelous wicked.gif

===============

At that time London was at the forefront of the scene IMO, there was also scenesville featuring, amongst others, Andy Rix as a resident and of course the 100 club......still the Daddy :shhh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Although Capitol got more than its fair share of praise, I still feel it was undervalued for the amount of new or lesser known people they encouraged and have a blast djing at a top soul night. I always used to get there early, not just cos we could claim our place as far away from Greg, Alan, Matt and Flynny as poss :shhh: , up by the mian stage, but also because you could hear some gems that you very very rarely got to hear.

Linking to Hippo's post. I thought Mark George's spot was about as good as any spot ever at the Dome. Main guys included. And there was probably less than 100 people in there to hear it.

Mind you, you all know I'm a Stafford junkie, and Mark's spot included more than one or two tunes from that era. I wish a few more people had been there to hear it, but also a few of the big name Djs who used to go there as punters. Maybe they would have heard many of the forgotten gems, out loud again, and thought, 'Yes I'll give that a spin'. blush.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I used to love the Dome... it had such a fab atmosphere. I still clearly remember the very first visit.. I was open mouthed in awe the whole night! Thanks Jason Desmond... a brilliant memory blush.gif Think I've still got photos for this anniversary.. I'll check when I get home :shhh:

Social source share

Although Capitol got more than its fair share of praise, I still feel it was undervalued for the amount of new or lesser known people they encouraged and have a blast djing at a top soul night. I always used to get there early, not just cos we could claim our place as far away from Greg, Alan, Matt and Flynny as poss wicked.gif , up by the mian stage, but also because you could hear some gems that you very very rarely got to hear.

Linking to Hippo's post. I thought Mark George's spot was about as good as any spot ever at the Dome. Main guys included. And there was probably less than 100 people in there to hear it.

Mind you, you all know I'm a Stafford junkie, and Mark's spot included more than one or two tunes from that era. I wish a few more people had been there to hear it, but also a few of the big name Djs who used to go there as punters. Maybe they would have heard many of the forgotten gems, out loud again, and thought, 'Yes I'll give that a spin'. :shhh:

=============

Also heard Ady Lupton and Stuart T playing out for the first time at the dome :shhh:

Social source share

Fabulous club, think you can judge a club on how old you feel & I was 17 at the Dome.

Can`t remember getting chucked out b4 3.30. Only soulnight I`ve been to made me feel like I`d done a nighter.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!