Dirk Tiggler

Equals anybody?

Just played 'I get so excited' by the Equals on Radio 6. Flashed across my memory of how important they were to me when I was about 13. Haven't heard Black skin blue eyed boy since I don't know when so that'll get dug out soon. We're they better than the Foundations though? Both bands were important stepping stones to R&B for me when I was young. Ade

So many great British bands all through the 60s - the Equals amongst them.

This is nearly 50 years ago so apologies if my memory is a bit hazy but I grew up in Clacton and the 60s were my teenage years. We had all the original pirate radio ships off our coast so we got to hear stuff that was not on mainstream radio. I think it would have been summer of 1967 one of the pirates (probably Radio London/Big L) started plugging the Equals first LP Unequalled Equals and that pushed it into the British LP chart quite a bit before their first single success. So the Equals were most definitely part of the soundtrack of my life that summer and then on through the remainder of the 60s. :)

Saw the equals at Bradford Mecca, it would have been about 1968/69.

The compare on the night was Jimmy Saville.

I saw them in Scarborough 73, same year as I saw Major Lance there.........at the time they were excellent.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.