PaulB

Android TV Boxes

Anyone clued up on these? Looking for some recommendations that won't break the bank.

If I get one, can I just plug it in and off I go?

Do you get all sport, films and tv available all over the world?

Can I still watch normal tv channels, cbeebies, bbc, etc.

If anyone can explain them to me (not great with technology) I would be greatly appreciative.

Cheers

Right, you unbox it, plug your internet in to it, HDMI lead out into the tv; when you buy it, it's pre-loaded with what are called "add ons", these are your channels and there are at least 100, with the opportunity to add hundreds more.  IN each add on there are usually several subsections.  For instance, in the Phoenix add on, there is a channel for classic UK tv series, one for cult movies, one for documentaries, one for new movies.  It takes a day or so to get used to what everything shows to be honest, and sometimes the streams don't work, but on the whole the viewing experience is just amazing.  Last night I watched the Gascoigne documentary (not yet released), and the Brazil match, it was hard to get a perfect stream on the football but I found one in the Pakistan/India add on which was the only channel showing the UK based Premier Sports broadcast of it.  You can easily pick up all the UK channels that are on freeview, sometimes sky movies etc are hard to get to work but there's no need for them really because something like the Showbox add on has every film ever made basically.

It is meant to be plug and play, I had one or two teething problems but I bought a second box which arrived yesterday and I set it up in 5 minutes, totally trouble free.  Anything you need to know, just ask.

Which one did you go for Pete?

I'm thinking of going for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-keyboard-Tonbux-MXQ-Streaming/dp/B00WWIUIN2/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Any thoughts?

Also, I'd have to set up on wifi as our router is at the opposite end of the house. Do we need to be on fibre opic broadband? When I tested it last night it was running at 3.2. Not sure if this is fast enough?

Thanks mate

Install  'Kodi' ( previously called XBMC) on your PC and see how you get on. If you can't get any of the streams to work you'll probably not get a TV box to either as they both depend on the internet connection speed and the quality / encoded size of the stream.

Which one did you go for Pete?

I'm thinking of going for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-keyboard-Tonbux-MXQ-Streaming/dp/B00WWIUIN2/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Any thoughts?

Also, I'd have to set up on wifi as our router is at the opposite end of the house. Do we need to be on fibre opic broadband? When I tested it last night it was running at 3.2. Not sure if this is fast enough?

Thanks mate

That's a good price including the keyboard.  I think I paid that much for just the box (Droid Player).  I use Devolo powerline adapters to extend my home network (Sky Fibre) and I can stream HD movies no problem.  I'd go for that one because of the positive reviews, but budget for either a WiFi extender or a set of powerline adaptors.  The adaptors I use can also create a local WiFi zone as well as allowing three devices to be connected by Ethernet cable.  I can vouch for good customer service from Devolo if there's a problem.

The box arrived and is now up and running. It is absolutely unbelievable! Literally every film or tv series ever made, plus all the sports.

Surely this will be the end of the sky monopoly?

The box arrived and is now up and running. It is absolutely unbelievable! Literally every film or tv series ever made, plus all the sports.

Watched a few good recent movies on my Droid player over the past week.  By recent, I mean new to DVD recent, as the latest cinema releases tend to be dodgy camcorder jobs.  The Gumman with Sean Penn and Taken 3 and Running All Night with Liam Neeson, all in HD quality, are worth a watch.

Watched a few good recent movies on my Droid player over the past week.  By recent, I mean new to DVD recent, as the latest cinema releases tend to be dodgy camcorder jobs.  The Gumman with Sean Penn and Taken 3 and Running All Night with Liam Neeson, all in HD quality, are worth a watch.

Footnote:  CINEMAGOERS: Have consideration for pirate DVD viewers by using the toilet before the film starts.

Edited by Steve S 60

If you can afford the few quid extra Paul go for fibre......On TalkTalk I get a solid 38-40 meg which will stream anything!

My Droid Player has given up the ghost so it's on the way back to Amazon for a refund.  Just downloaded Kodi (the new name for XBMC) onto my tablet and it runs quicker than the Droid Player.  No buffering, and that's with a wireless connection, whilst the Droid Player had a wired connection.  Might upgrade to a quad core model if I decide to get another.

Got a new Android player from Amazon, lasted as long as it took to unbox it and plug it in.  The AC adaptor started making high pitched noises, akin to what you hear if you dial a fax number by mistake.  That's gone back, and I don't think I'll bother getting another.  May look into getting Kodi onto my Fire TV stick, at least the hardware is reliable.

Successfully installed Kodi (formerly XBMC) on my Amazon Fire Stick, along with all the video add-ons, and it runs like a dream.  No hanging around like the last Android box I had, and the stick only cost me £19.

On 26/12/2015 at 22:06, petebangor said:

I'm looking at buying a fully loaded firestick, and ditching Sky.  Would you recommend I do so?

That's exactly what I've done.  Had to sideload Kodi myself, but the tutorials on Youtube are easy enough to follow.  The processing power in the Fire Stick beats most of the stand alone Droid Players, despite its diminutive size, and you get the added bonus of Amazon Prime.  I subscribe to Prime for less than £80 a year, but that gets me next day delivery from Amazon, Prime video and music services, Kindle lending library and cloud storage.  Binned Sky TV before Christmas and haven't missed it at all.  They've tried to tempt me back with various offers but I'm happy using Amazon Prime and Kodi.

I've done a firestick for someone today I actually, I charge £10 to do it or they can pay me in cider

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

That's exactly what I've done.  Had to sideload Kodi myself, but the tutorials on Youtube are easy enough to follow.  The processing power in the Fire Stick beats most of the stand alone Droid Players, despite its diminutive size, and you get the added bonus of Amazon Prime.  I subscribe to Prime for less than £80 a year, but that gets me next day delivery from Amazon, Prime video and music services, Kindle lending library and cloud storage.  Binned Sky TV before Christmas and haven't missed it at all.  They've tried to tempt me back with various offers but I'm happy using Amazon Prime and Kodi.

I got Sky back couldn't stand all the messing about when I couldn't find a football source but still using droidbox and firestick with kodi.  Also have a VU dodgy satellite box running sky but it's not even connected anymore

3 hours ago, Pete S said:

I've done a firestick for someone today I actually, I charge £10 to do it or they can pay me in cider

I got Sky back couldn't stand all the messing about when I couldn't find a football source but still using droidbox and firestick with kodi.  Also have a VU dodgy satellite box running sky but it's not even connected anymore

So you buy a Fire stick, plug it in and what do you get? Do you install Kodi like you do on a PC? If so, can you install more repositories from a repository .zip file?

19 minutes ago, simon t said:

So you buy a Fire stick, plug it in and what do you get? Do you install Kodi like you do on a PC? If so, can you install more repositories from a repository .zip file?

what you do is, plug it in, then you have to go to search and you find something called ES Explorer - install that and add a bookmark which is the address of the kodi site on the net, go there and download the latest version, and simply install it from within the firestick.  Then go to add ons and install something like Husham Wizard and there's all your channels as well.

14 hours ago, simon t said:

14 hours ago, Pete S said:

what you do is, plug it in, then you have to go to search and you find something called ES Explorer - install that and add a bookmark which is the address of the kodi site on the net, go there and download the latest version, and simply install it from within the firestick.  Then go to add ons and install something like Husham Wizard and there's all your channels as well.

You can even set it up to have Kodi come up when you press the the Home button on the Fire Stick remote, two presses returns you to the Amazon Prime home page.

34 minutes ago, chalky said:

My brother has just boight a fire stick for £55 and it has all the sky channels on it.

Sky must be haemorhaging customers at the moment.  I used to have the full package, Sky HD Multiroom, Sky Talk And Fibre, got rid of the TV package but kept the phone and broadband, which they reduced by £10 a month if I renewed my contract (£30 a month for unlimited calls and fibre broadband).  Got pissed off with Sky putting their TV package prices up all the time and couldn't justify the cost.  Sky will be looking to entice new customers with their new Sky Q boxes that they are about to introduce.  Shame they don't look after their existing customers.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.