I should know this after 45 years of collecting records, but I don't

What was the drill hole for in some 45's ?

I thought maybe it was for:-

A) Keeping them all together with a wire when transporting them

B) It was when they were exported

C) Some kind of tax/duty thing

D) Once they were no longer distributed by the main distributer

Some have drill holes and some don't. Why?

Social source share

Sometimes the drill hole is described in sales blurb as BB which supposedly stands for ball bearing - it appears that the holes were shot by a gun firing ball bearings. Once holed, the records were deemed unfit for sale and returned to the wholesaler for a refund or put into a discount bin for sale. Most drill holes are not a problem, but those in the run out, on the edge of the spindle hole or through the credits detract from the record and can be the source of hairline cracks.

Social source share

Sometimes the drill hole is described in sales blurb as BB which supposedly stands for ball bearing - it appears that the holes were shot by a gun firing ball bearings. Once holed, the records were deemed unfit for sale and returned to the wholesaler for a refund or put into a discount bin for sale. Most drill holes are not a problem, but those in the run out, on the edge of the spindle hole or through the credits detract from the record and can be the source of hairline cracks.

Always thought they called them 'BB' holes because they were about that size rather than actually using a BB gun to do it

Social source share

always thought the BB gun story was a fictional one probably came from an all nighter return journey lol

Social source share

there was no ball bearing guns involved whatsoever, only a black & decker drill , best explaination / theory ive heard came from a seller at brighton record fair in the early 80's, he told me that the records with holes in came from fairground rifle ranges, if you shot the record you won it as a prize

Social source share

One record back in the fall, I think a really early Motown 45- had the bb hole. But what was interesting was it had been melted. There was a "pushed  in" side that the material flowed into the hole. The "pushed outside" side had a collar around the hole of the melt through, which was the displaced vinyl. What was also interesting- it looked as if someone had gently hammered it down as it was still hot wax. Maybe trivial- but if I find it again- I'll try to post up a pic.

Ps- "you'll shoot your eye out kid!" :D

Social source share

there was no ball bearing guns involved whatsoever, only a black & decker drill , best explaination / theory ive heard came from a seller at brighton record fair in the early 80's, he told me that the records with holes in came from fairground rifle ranges, if you shot the record you won it as a prize

Was that Jimmy Wensiora who told you that.?:lol:

Social source share

Was doing a little digging yesterday- here's a so-so example of what I referenced earlier. There is a "positive" ridge to the one side.  

It looks like the vinyl that has melted due to the heat generated by the friction of the drill. A bit like the burr on metal after drilling.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!