What Tunes In Your Opinion Would Work At A Student Night?

Guest bleusuperb

Guest bleusuperb

Everyone , it would seem, would relish seeing the younger generation becoming involved in the northern scene, so lets say we have managed to sell out an evening in the students union.

Around 200 students, vast majority don,t have any idea what to expect and you are first up at the turntable, you have one hour to fill, say 15 plays, you need to hook them pretty quickly or the night will fail miserably and they will be lost to the scene.

What would your initial playlist be. You may indeed change the sounds to suit the mood but what are your first choices.

Take it away? :thumbsup:

Edited by bleusuperb
Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Little chance of this when you see something ridiculous like Kev Roberts comments in a recent Goldsoul magazine about Northern being the ultimate over 30s night for divorcees or some such nonsense. In fact it was such a depressing concept I was wondering whether I'd want to go to one myself until I remembered that his nights are often reunion nights for northern soul teddy boys. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I reckon this lot would have 'em gaggin' for more...

Lonnie Lester - You Can't Go (Nu-Tone)

Toni & The Showmen - Try My Love (TenStar)

Ray Scott & The Scottsmen - Right Now (Decca)

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man (Midas)

Cookie Jackson - Do You Still Love Me (Progress)

Zu Zu Blues Band - Zu Zu Man (A&M)

Dorothy Berry - Don't Give Me Love (Big Three)

Sonny Rhodes - You Better Stop (Galaxy)

Lenny Williams - I Couldn't Find Nobody (Fantasy)

Joy Lovejoy - In Orbit (Checker)

Major Lance - The Beat (Okeh)

Little Jewel - I Want To (Tay-ster)

Felice Taylor - I Can Feel Your Love (Kent)

Jimmy Holiday - Love Me One More Time (Diplomacy)

The Charmains - I Idolize You (Kent 100 club Anniversary)

That sort of stuff always got 'non scene' types going at Shake...

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Matt Bolton runs a night called Move On Up in Leeds and its aimed at the younger market,it gets up to 300 people i think...Contact Matt and he will let you know what the kids want..I have played to a younger market quite a few times in the past and feel its best to mix it all up with Northern,club soul,funk/rare groove/dancefloor Jazz etc...

Social source share

Just celerbrated my daughters 18th birthday shes a stundent she invited all her freinds to the bash held in a function room around 200 folks in all, 90% were students first 2 hours was grunge abd heavy rock type stuff and an empty dance floo. I asked the DJ for some motown on came R D Tayler, Ghost, and the dance floor was full and stayed full till he ran out of motown to play.

SO I would sugest MOTOWN

Social source share

i would forget traditional oldies or the so called 60 newies. forget the floaters too.

i would play a lot more RnB, upbeat crossover stuff and the stuff that borders on funk.

the pow wow club in sheffield is packed out with a younger crowd who will get up and dance to 60s music all night. however, traditional northern soul is not on the menu.

Rowly's set looks a sure fire winner. anything that remotely sounds like motown or mid-tempo is far too twee for a student crowd. it will instantly remind them of their mum and dad.

they want something with a harder beat in other words.

Shane

Social source share

i would forget traditional oldies or the so called 60 newies. forget the floaters too.

i would play a lot more RnB, upbeat crossover stuff and the stuff that borders on funk.

the pow wow club in sheffield is packed out with a younger crowd who will get up and dance to 60s music all night. however, traditional northern soul is not on the menu.

Rowly's set looks a sure fire winner. anything that remotely sounds like motown or mid-tempo is far too twee for a student crowd. it will instantly remind them of their mum and dad.

Shane

I gave my 18year old nephew a few cd/s of similar suff recently all uptempo soul, "proper Mod" R&B, Hammond Grooves etc... he loved and said that the mates he's played them too did as well. I asked him if they'd be interested in going to a club playing that sort of stuff, - the answer was a resounding yes.

Social source share

I gave my 18year old nephew a few cd/s of similar suff recently all uptempo soul, "proper Mod" R&B, Hammond Grooves etc... he loved and said that the mates he's played them too did as well. I asked him if they'd be interested in going to a club playing that sort of stuff, - the answer was a resounding yes.

i am sure he did like it.

over the past 10 or 15 years i have been to many nights in sheffield/leeds where they have played 60s music. the trad northern stuff never hardly works. ask people like joe dutton who have dj'ed at the brighton beach events in sheffield.

mod/hammond/funk is the successful recipe for a 60s black music event for students. i have seen it work on many occasions. you try and drop some of those wigan instrumentals in they will just laugh and the same goes with a lot of the current nighter sounds.

i wish this was not the case cos you can give me trad northern stuff over the stuff mentioned above anyday of the week! :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Just celerbrated my daughters 18th birthday shes a stundent she invited all her freinds to the bash held in a function room around 200 folks in all, 90% were students first 2 hours was grunge abd heavy rock type stuff and an empty dance floo. I asked the DJ for some motown on came R D Tayler, Ghost, and the dance floor was full and stayed full till he ran out of motown to play.

SO I would suggest MOTOWN

:lol: so would i - also would throw in maybe:-

Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love

Solomon King - Cry To Me

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart (did a non-soul wedding once played this, packed the floor and had all the punters asking for it and if it was in the charts!)

Jackie Wilson/Erma Franklin - Sweetest Feeling

and then when you cant get them out the venue, bang on Dave Mitchell 'The Trip' ....sure to get rid off them :thumbsup:

Social source share

SO I would sugest MOTOWN

you can't compare a function to a club night. i have done the conga, agadoo and monster mash at functions with usually one of my mates mothers or grandma's (depending on how i am feeling :thumbsup: )

i would never dream of doing that at a club night. functions are supposed to be a laugh and the cheesier the better.

motown as a whole does not work at a club night. you can maybe pick half a dozen motown tunes at the most.

i speak thru many nights of experience

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Shane

All absolutely spot on Shane :thumbsup:

Social source share

shane

but what you suggest is moving away altogether fromm the norhern scene and I thought the idea was to get youngsters involved in northern :lol: there are already clubs out there thsat cater for what you mention Shane, pow wow being an example you cited...so what then is the point? we might as well just carry on what we are doing and let them there youngsters carry on with what they are doing :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Everyone , it would seem, would relish seeing the younger generation becoming involved in the northern scene, so lets say we have managed to sell out an evening in the students union.

Around 200 students, vast majority don,t have any idea what to expect and you are first up at the turntable, you have one hour to fill, say 15 plays, you need to hook them pretty quickly or the night will fail miserably and they will be lost to the scene.

What would your initial playlist be. You may indeed change the sounds to suit the mood but what are your first choices.

Having worked for a Students' Union for 16 years, I've seen it tried a number of times with differing results. As someone mentioned, best to mix it up with Funk, Jazz, 70s and modern where possible. Most of the students who've tried it here have stuck with very obvious type sounds (Walking up a One Way Street, Move on Up, Sweetest Feeeling, KFC ads etc), so would say best to stick with stuff that might be 'known' for one reason or another to this type of age group - playing a set list of things no one has ever heard, no matter how wonderful they might be, is likely to leave you with an empty dancefloor all night.

Certainly mixing it with better known Funk tunes and some of the modern stuff would probably work.

Good luck - you're gonna need it if my experience of student events is anything to go by!

Social source share

but what you suggest is moving away altogether fromm the norhern scene and I thought the idea was to get youngsters involved in northern :lol: there are already clubs out there thsat cater for what you mention Shane, pow wow being an example you cited...so what then is the point? we might as well just carry on what we are doing and let them there youngsters carry on with what they are doing :thumbsup:

the original question was what would i play at a student night. i said more RnB would be more successful

i dont want any change chalky cos i like my northern event playlists as they are. would be great to get more youngsters in though.

Shane

Social source share

but what you suggest is moving away altogether fromm the norhern scene and I thought the idea was to get youngsters involved in northern :lol: there are already clubs out there thsat cater for what you mention Shane, pow wow being an example you cited...so what then is the point? we might as well just carry on what we are doing and let them there youngsters carry on with what they are doing :yes:

I would say it stays more within the origins of northern than any thing :yes:

Like you say plenty of records out there to be imagenative with, that still can stick to the ideals of northern, no point playing them floaty crossover as they have no need to claim how soulful they are (not aimed at you that bit) :thumbsup::yes: just give em hard hitting tunes and you'll be onto a winner wink.gif

Edited by Baz
Social source share

I would say it stays more within the origins of northern than any thing :lol:

Like you say plenty of records out there to be imagenative with, that still can stick to the ideals of northern, no point playing them floaty crossover as they have no need to claim how soulful they are (not aimed at you that bit) :thumbsup::yes: just give em hard hitting tunes and you'll be onto a winner :yes:

I don't think it does Baz. the funk and R&B Shane mentions probably has nowt in common with the traditional northern scene.

Anyway why should this scene change to try and influence a few youngsters who in reality have no interest in Northern Soul long term? The aim is to try and get them into the music we love, what's the point giving them one thing then when it comes to a mainstream northern event give them something different they probably won't enjoy. Leave to their own music and let us get on with ours :yes:

All this talk of change if it were to ever happen would probably have a detrimental effect as if you ask me it would keep the soulies on the scene now away from these events as they want the 60's and 70's soul they have now.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I play at a fair few studenty type things (not northern i hasten to add, mainly indie with a few funk, soul, disco, modern, hip hop and classic house tunes chucked in for me more than anyone else.) the soulful things i find work best for that type of crowd are as stated before stuff they will have heard before or if you want to be a bit cheeky originals of stuff that has been sampled by more modern house, hip hop type things as this will get the people that know that sort of thing interested in what the sample is from.

Motown is always a winner for sure, normally what i do is play a few big vocal tunes to get the ladies dancing, once the floor has a fair few girls on it the blokes tend to get involved (for obvious reasons) then normally once they have all had a few pints anything goes.

I find that student crowds with a few exceptions tend to be more open minded that the towny types that i sometime have the misfurtune to play for.

Good luck what ever................Fragglenorm :thumbsup:

Social source share

the original question was what would i play at a student night. i said more RnB would be more successful

i dont want any change chalky cos i like my northern event playlists as they are. would be great to get more youngsters in though.

Shane

me neither Shane, just playin devils advocate as all we seem to be gettin is what we should be doing for the youngsters and forget about what we want :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't think it does Baz. the funk and R&B Shane mentions probably has nowt in common with the traditional northern scene.

Anyway why should this scene change to try and influence a few youngsters who in reality have no interest in Northern Soul long term? The aim is to try and get them into the music we love, what's the point giving them one thing then when it comes to a mainstream northern event give them something different they probably won't enjoy. Leave to their own music and let us get on with ours :yes:

All this talk of change if it were to ever happen would probably have a detrimental effect as if you ask me it would keep the soulies on the scene now away from these events as they want the 60's and 70's soul they have now.

Completely agree with th last bit,

But whats the harm in offering something to a younger generation that has a little bit of every thing from the scene in it, like it or not R&B is part of the scene, as is funk, latin, oldies, newies, 70's 80's ect ect just have to me more selective in the chioce is all we are saying, and if they move on from there, then great, if not at least it will keep the whole idea of the northern scene going........rare soul :thumbsup:

There is proberly a few die hard wigan fans that think todays scene is so far away from what they know, and find it unbareable, Im not saying we need to change the whole of the scene to accomodate more youngsters, but if something is done the rare soul scene all nighter scene will evaporate into oblivion, it might end up taking a new route in ten years time, but will the people who like traditional 60's 70's northern still be attending nighters then? the scene has evolved to accomodate todays nighter goers (albeit not a great deal has changed) :lol:

Social source share

Shane

Agreed Shane - same would apply at Glasgow Arts School which has very good northern/R&B nights. In fact many young pople love the 'image' they have or northern, obscure, all-night, underground, and not part of the pop mainstream. So there are lots of positives. I'd be very confident that a gritty R&B style rarity like Sam Ward's 'Sister Lee' would be popular.

Social source share

Completely agree with th last bit,

But whats the harm in offering something to a younger generation that has a little bit of every thing from the scene in it, like it or not R&B is part of the scene, as is funk, latin, oldies, newies, 70's 80's ect ect just have to me more selective in the chioce is all we are saying, and if they move on from there, then great, if not at least it will keep the whole idea of the northern scene going........rare soul :thumbsup:

There is proberly a few die hard wigan fans that think todays scene is so far away from what they know, and find it unbareable, Im not saying we need to change the whole of the scene to accomodate more youngsters, but if something is done the rare soul scene all nighter scene will evaporate into oblivion, it might end up taking a new route in ten years time, but will the people who like traditional 60's 70's northern still be attending nighters then? the scene has evolved to accomodate todays nighter goers (albeit not a great deal has changed) :yes:

But I don't want change, not change to the point that some suggest. As I said it would have a detrimental efect in driving soulies like me away so what is the poiint? you would probably drive more away then you would gain IMHO :lol:

And be honest with yourself, nighter scene is dying a slow death now, we are never going to get the youngsters in the numbers required onto the scene to sustain the nighter scene in 10 or 15 years time.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Agreed Shane - same would apply at Glasgow Arts School which has very good northern/R&B nights. In fact many young pople love the 'image' they have or northern, obscure, all-night, underground, and not part of the pop mainstream. So there are lots of positives. I'd be very confident that a gritty R&B style rarity like Sam Ward's 'Sister Lee' would be popular.

Went to Glasgow with Andy Dyson when he JD'ed up there, forget name of club now, but the crowd was pretty young with mods and students as well as your soulies but the music was in the main your traditional soul we hear week in week out. In fact Andys set had a full floor and dare say many of those at the night had probably never heard many of them before.

Social source share

But I don't want change, not change to the point that some suggest. As I said it would have a detrimental efect in driving soulies like me away so what is the poiint? you would probably drive more away then you would gain IMHO :thumbsup:

And be honest with yourself, nighter scene is dying a slow death now, we are never going to get the youngsters in the numbers required onto the scene to sustain the nighter scene in 10 or 15 years time.

No one said about a change just adding a new angle for nights for youngsters i dont want change either, how long would you say you've got left doing nighters 10 years? at most?

So what would you care what music is played, its still on the basis of the northern scene just give the whole continuity of the scene alot longer to go.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

But I don't want change, not change to the point that some suggest. As I said it would have a detrimental efect in driving soulies like me away so what is the poiint? you would probably drive more away then you would gain IMHO :yes:

It's a marketing thing, NORTHERN SOUL is seen as old hat to the younger generation so serve it up as something else, let them decide what it's called, once they have given it a name it becomes the in thing (hip - do they use that word), we could start another thread , hold a competition for a new name to our music. :thumbsup:biggrin.gif:lol::yes::yes:
Social source share

Went to Glasgow with Andy Dyson when he JD'ed up there, forget name of club now, but the crowd was pretty young with mods and students as well as your soulies but the music was in the main your traditional soul we hear week in week out. In fact Andys set had a full floor and dare say many of those at the night had probably never heard many of them before.

That was probably Caledonia - big student contingent. Another Glasgow club - Buff Club - is a mix of northern funk beats etc. I think the young clubbers are more open about sounds and less obsessed with cliques and where something was played first.

Social source share

No one said about a change just adding a new angle for nights for youngsters i dont want change either, how long would you say you've got left doing nighters 10 years? at most?

So what would you care what music is played, its still on the basis of the northern scene just give the whole continuity of the scene alot longer to go.

10 years time would only make me 50 Baz, do I have to retire then :thumbsup: but who knows how long I've got left, could be 5, 10, 15 or 20 years, doubt my body will let me carry on as I do now :lol: but as long as I am here i care about what I want to hear and couldn't care about what might be.

Can you in all honesty in ten years time see enough teens and 20 somethings dancing to music 50 plus years old along side dancers with zimmer frames old enough to be their great grand parents let alone their mums and dads :yes:

That was probably Caledonia - big student contingent. Another Glasgow club - Buff Club - is a mix of northern funk beats etc. I think the young clubbers are more open about sounds and less obsessed with cliques and where something was played first.

Caledonia it was :yes: They seemed to be having a great night.

Social source share

==============

I can see what Chalky is saying Baz, you're asking for change for the long term good of the scene, but where would that leave him now? Thought the bit about 10 years at most was funny, I sort of see Chalky having his funeral service at a nighter :thumbsup:

I do agree to further the scene however, we would have to have change within the music policies, how radical that would need to be nobody can really say. Still think though that to maintain it as a 'northern' scene or even a 'rare' soul scene, youngsters in the main would have to come to us, otherwise we will end up with the "Indie rare northern scene" with special guest DJ 'MC Soulful Baz' :lol:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

==============

I can see what Chalky is saying Baz, you're asking for change for the long term good of the scene, but where would that leave him now? Thought the bit about 10 years at most was funny, I sort of see Chalky having his funeral service at a nighter :yes:

I do agree to further the scene however, we would have to have change within the music policies, how radical that would need to be nobody can really say. Still think though that to maintain it as a 'northern' scene or even a 'rare' soul scene, youngsters in the main would have to come to us, otherwise we will end up with the "Indie rare northern scene" with special guest DJ 'MC Soulful Baz' :lol:

Winnie:-)

I think you both are not getting what im saying, ho hum. im off home for a cuppa and some snap so might get back into it later :thumbsup:

P.S Win how can you be a DJ 'MC' :yes: A MC or master of cermonies is usually the guy on the stage going wiggad wiggada wah...come follow me...raise your hands in the air......simon says touch your toes....ect :yes:

Social source share

Surely the point here is that you can't really make any scene do what it doesn't want to do.

Talk of fundamental change to the musical policy of nights to cater to younger people is a red herring. Surely this would just dilute this thing of ours?

Please just take a look at the various photo galleries of events you see on this website and ask yourself these fundamental questions.

What exists here that is of interest to people in their late teens/early twenties, who are (mostly) style/media led? Why would they eschew going to a "hip" and "happening" night full of their peers to hang out with old gits that look like escapees from a secure home for the elderly? If they did turn up, what sort of a welcome would they receive?

When you were that age, would you go to such a place?

I''m sorry to say, there's nothing there that would induce 18-24s to turn up in the first place let alone become a regular attendee of Northern/Rare Soul Nights. Those that do are exceptional young people (or lunatics, depending on your point of view!)

Yes, it is the best music ever made, yes, students may like certain aspects of it mixed in with other musical forms, if it's not too challenging, but I just can't see there ever being a vibrant Northern Soul youth scene like there existed in the early to mid seventies.

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Anyway why should this scene change to try and influence a few youngsters who in reality have no interest in Northern Soul long term? The aim is to try and get them into the music we love, what's the point giving them one thing then when it comes to a mainstream northern event give them something different they probably won't enjoy. Leave to their own music and let us get on with ours :thumbsup:

Social source share

Depends what you mean by a student night. When at Uni in Stoke for the vast majority of nights northern just wouldnt work, just want normal chart stuff or top 20 indie. However one regular night called Scandle Wax was a packer catering for a specific audience with Students after what I can only describe as eclectic dance music from Derek May to Nightmares on Wax to Miles Davis. Loads of junk shop collectors of breaks and Vinyl.

Harder edged northern like Milton James - Lonley Feeling or funkier stuff like Benny Harper - My Prayer, Delegates of Soul etc would go down a treat. But for a bog standard student night play Abba

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

all young people.

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=737737176

tunes that go over well at our night vary from Paul Sindab on Kasika (lots of requests to play this) to Target and Innersection. Most requests to me have been for Betty Scott and the Del-vetts "Good Feeling." I think that song probably sums up what is easily digestable for the kids at our night. good tune, i like it :thumbsup:

i should also add that we have, over the months, built up a rather large group of regulars who have become familiar with the stuff we play and are now more apt to request things that they didnt know prior. but in the beginning, it did take Motown stuff to get them on the floor. not so much now. i think you just need to be patient with the kids, but at the same time not water-down your playlists for them. people eventually catch on if they enjoy the music. you cant win em all, as they say.

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

Are there any songs about sleeping all day, putting dirty cups and plates on the side just above where the dish washer is, using Mums car as his own, going out and leaving the cat in and then ignoring the pile of poo right by the back door, sitting in his room all day Sat and Sun then going out at 10:00, spilling juice and cereal all over the stairs and just stepping over it?

Father of 19 year old 2nd year Uni student!!

Social source share

i am sure he did like it.

over the past 10 or 15 years i have been to many nights in sheffield/leeds where they have played 60s music. the trad northern stuff never hardly works. ask people like joe dutton who have dj'ed at the brighton beach events in sheffield.

mod/hammond/funk is the successful recipe for a 60s black music event for students. i have seen it work on many occasions. you try and drop some of those wigan instrumentals in they will just laugh and the same goes with a lot of the current nighter sounds.

i wish this was not the case cos you can give me trad northern stuff over the stuff mentioned above anyday of the week! :thumbsup:

Shane

Much as it pains me to say this... you are absolutely right Shane. :ohmy:

Personally, the music policy you have suggested would appeal to me more than whats available now.... had my fill of smooth, mid-tempo lift music! :lol:

Social source share

But I don't want change, not change to the point that some suggest. As I said it would have a detrimental efect in driving soulies like me away so what is the poiint? you would probably drive more away then you would gain IMHO :ohmy:

If you don't want change, why are you involved in Lifeline? :lol::thumbsup:

Not convinced about "never going to get youngsters in numbers...." Depends on the venue, city/town centre club type needed, and the music, uptempo all the way.

There used to be a decent number of youngsters enjoying CIS and I've seen plenty at some R&B nighters, like the Rocket.

Social source share

If you don't want change, why are you involved in Lifeline? :ohmy::thumbsup:

Not convinced about "never going to get youngsters in numbers...." Depends on the venue, city/town centre club type needed, and the music, uptempo all the way.

There used to be a decent number of youngsters enjoying CIS and I've seen plenty at some R&B nighters, like the Rocket.

no fish biting tonight, sat watching Wales get turned over by Brazil :lol:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

my suggestions in a crowd with students ... as has been said too ... try to chuck in some well known (by covered, samples, films, adverts etc) stuff:

tainted love

shake a tailfeather

do you love me

money

higher and higher

california soul

25 miles

land of 1000 dances

the clapping song

covers like:

soul man - ramsey lewis

midnight hour - little mac

dock of the bay - peggy lee

hard to handle - patti drew

satisfaction - otis redding

add few of rowly's suggestions too. plus a bit of latin etc. plus some more motown.

Social source share

my suggestions in a crowd with students ... as has been said too ... try to chuck in some well known (by covered, samples, films, adverts etc) stuff:

tainted love

shake a tailfeather

do you love me

money

higher and higher

california soul

25 miles

land of 1000 dances

the clapping song

covers like:

soul man - ramsey lewis

midnight hour - little mac

dock of the bay - peggy lee

hard to handle - patti drew

satisfaction - otis redding

add few of rowly's suggestions too. plus a bit of latin etc. plus some more motown.

Nah too comercial :yes: give em underground

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!