Do You Plan To Keep Your Rare 45s Forever?

Guest ShaneH

following on from the 'youngsters' thread i am interested to know what people plan to do with their rare expensive 45s.

afterall, in reality there will be no-one to sell them to. many of the soul crowd will be planning retirement in 15 years time and a few grands worth of plastic could come in handy when looking at bungalows on the east coast :thumbsup:

i would like to see some genuine answers please. does anyone have an actual plan?

i know we have discussed this before but not for a while

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I plan to keep most of my rare 45s for sheer love of them, and sentiment. I would sooner die and leave them, rather then sell them.

The only way I'd part with any of them is if I got stupidly heavy in debt, and wanted to keep the bailiffs away from my front door. Or, of course, if I got really bored and fed up with any of them, but the chances of that happenning are fairly unlikely.

Social source share

I plan to keep most of my rare 45s for sheer love of them, and sentiment. I would sooner die and leave them, rather then sell them.

How would you insure that the records didnt end up in a junk shop, in say 30 years time (not saying you've only got thirty years left in you Gene, i'd say a good 31years left yet :thumbsup: but you know what i mean) and selling for a fiver a piece? surley you would like them to go onto some one who would get as much joy out of them as you did, be it any siblings or selling them on as a inheritance for siblings ect.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Just hope JM is still around and wants to sell your records in 20 years time and there's people willing to buy them at a highly inflated price. Why am I still buying the dam things :thumbsup:

Social source share

Keep them, but leave them in my will to a family member when I die. I'll also leave instructions in how they should be auctioned or sold to benefit the inheritor. Not thought through the inheritance tax problem yet tho. Nor who to put on a listed of 'trustees' who could oversee the sale without dipping in.

Social source share

following on from the 'youngsters' thread i am interested to know what people plan to do with their rare expensive 45s.

afterall, in reality there will be no-one to sell them to. many of the soul crowd will be planning retirement in 15 years time and a few grands worth of plastic could come in handy when looking at bungalows on the east coast :lol:

i would like to see some genuine answers please. does anyone have an actual plan?

Shane

I asked a top dj for the other side of" Lady in Green" other week at Derby.his reply was sorry ,I sold it ..what for sez I, well he sez, it payed for my new conservatory,could'nt argue with that :thumbsup:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I asked a top dj for the other side of" Lady in Green" other week at Derby.his reply was sorry ,I sold it ..what for sez I, well he sez, it payed for my new conservatory,could'nt argue with that :lol:

Bazza

Bloody hell......If I sold my whole collection, it wouldnt buy me a front porch :thumbsup:

Social source share

As long as I can hear 'em, I'll keep 'em.

Although even if I can't hear them, they still look good!

So, they are with me for life. Not sure what after that - with record prices dropping so much now, they probably won't have any value so I'll have to find a music lover or they'll be in the skip I suppose. :thumbsup:

Whatever....................

J.

Social source share

Bloody hell......If I sold my whole collection, it wouldnt buy me a front porch :thumbsup:

I'll construct you a lovely front porch, in exchange for you collection Linda :lol:

Social source share

afterall, in reality there will be no-one to sell them to. many of the soul crowd will be planning retirement in 15 years time and a few grands worth of plastic could come in handy when looking at bungalows on the east coast :thumbsup:

Shane

I'm keeping all the stuff I've bought off you. I' ve no choice have I ? :angry:

Social source share

I had it all planned that I would probably sell my collection in about 10 years or so just in time for retirement and I also had planned for a sudden exit from this world but recent circumstances (not financial) have made me think very seriously about selling them now, someone mentioned in an earlier reply that when they can no longer play them at venues for what ever reasons then alot of enjoyment has gone.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I continue to buy, sell, swap, trade as i've always done, good hit's and sales along the way have paid for the nice new kitchens, bathrooms and holidays etc. i can enjoy them at home as much as playing them in a club, the radio show helps so collecting will continue, never buy records of an investment, collect and buy them because you love them, the problem will be if several major collections all come up for sale at the same time then we will perhaps see prices coming down on the big ticket items, still in fifty years who cares...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Shane

Yes, & when I finally croak Im hoping my lad will carry on.

My collection is there cos I love the music, not for any investment or financial gain. Unless Im really financially bollocked, it will stay where it is forever.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I'm going to have mine burnt with me in a big Viking-style ceremony, plumes of acrid black vinyl smoke blowing across the country....

Oops, serious answers? Sell a few bits and pieces when necessary but can't see me ever parting with the majority of my collection, and certainly never the ones that I really love... hopefully leave them to someone who'll appreciate them :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'll construct you a lovely front porch, in exchange for you collection Linda :ohmy:

Ermmm Very nice of you to offer Baz....but I'll have to decline....Wouldn't do for me to turn up at 'Hard as Nails' with a load of cd's and a picture of my front porch ....would it???????? :thumbsup:

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

My records owe me nothing although the financial side of it does nag away at me sometimes, maybe cause I`m a bit younger than most. I`d never sell em, although after some trips i do pull out a few things I`m never gonna play to offset those I`m going to keep from the trip.......

I love spinning them at home and love looking at them, every one tells a story...just yesterday i opened a box and saw some records i have`nt seen for a couple of months, made me smile and i just had to pull out a couple and play them....nothing better...

Chris.

ps, suppose I`ll get them all in the end when you old buggers start popping off and records become more obtainable!!!

Social source share

Sell em back to the Yanks of course! For a lot more than I paid for em!

Then fly back over there and discover some more..!! Then break em. Then watch their value rocket. Then sell em back to the...

hahaha

Better, sell¨m to the mexicans :yes:

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Sell em back to the Yanks of course! For a lot more than I paid for em!

Then fly back over there and discover some more..!! Then break em. Then watch their value rocket. Then sell em back to the...

Yeah, give us back our f-ing records, and we'll send you what's left of the Beatles. I think all soul records should return to Detroit for their final resting place, where they could be constructed over United Sound into a towering 200 story monument to World Trade and Soul Power. Of course, some bloody Brit would likely fly a plane into the lot during a momentary bout of amphetamine induced Northern Soul mania. ; )

P.S. No more records over here....all gone.

Scott

Social source share

I'm going to have mine burnt with me in a big Viking-style ceremony, plumes of acrid black vinyl smoke blowing across the country....

Oops, serious answers? Sell a few bits and pieces when necessary but can't see me ever parting with the majority of my collection, and certainly never the ones that I really love... hopefully leave them to someone who'll appreciate them :yes:

Never sell them...you've got too many good records.......period......

Social source share

Never sell them...you've got too many good records.......period......

:yes::yes:

Only when absolutely necessary... I'd rather sell bodily organs (preferably someone else's) but sometimes it's gotta be done....

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Lets hope that Stardust records start to go up in price or i won't have enough cash to buy the Stanner stair lift :yes: ....

Like most on here,i will sell a few bits but most will stay with me to the end..I hope to still be playing them out for another 15 years yet so lets not worry about all that just yet....Many folk are gonna get a shock when the bottom falls out of the market,it like the stock exchange and knowing prime time to sell,don't think they can leave it too much longer....

Social source share

afterall, in reality there will be no-one to sell them to. many of the soul crowd will be planning retirement in 15 years time and a few grands worth of plastic could come in handy when looking at bungalows on the east coast :D

Shane

Hi Shane

Always given thought to this one.

Had this wonderful ideal that Paris would love, treasure and enjoy them, when I'm

gone :D As with everything in life - never turns out as you hoped :yes:

Nearly 15 now and even though she's grown up with northern ( even listened to it from the womb) :yes: Only likes 2 records. In fact she won't entertain it :D she has her own identity as an Emo :D:D

No bloody idea what I'm gonna do now :D

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

A couple of people have referred to a drop in prices but Im with Ted "good" 45s are going up.

I don't see my collection as an investment at all and I just assume they'll be worthless when Im gone cos hopefully you lot would have gone before me.

I can't see how leaving them as a financial legacy, as Mr. Cosgove suggests, would work. Unless he dies relatively soon IMO the demand in say 30 years time will be minimal.

ROD

Social source share

Many folk are gonna get a shock when the bottom falls out of the market,it like the stock exchange and knowing prime time to sell,don't think they can leave it too much longer....

Interesting point, I know of a couple of collections coming up for sale very soon and I think when people see who is selling up and what they are selling, it could trigger a bit of a stock market style ‘melt down’ i.e. people trying to off load thier big ticket items before other can do, as there are only a few 'big money buyers' around in reality.

Social source share

surely none of us passionate record collectors have bought records as an investment.

as a couple we have sold off some of the collection, some doubles and some simply because they were no longer to our taste.

at the end of the day, the money spent on records would only have been spent on clothes/shoes/holidays/flash car etc, and no-one would ask the question "who you leaving your clothes too then - or will you sell them all and spend the money on butterscotch?"

we do have an unwritten understanding though, that if it was a case of losing the house or keeping the records - the records would go - as would everything else necessary to keep ours and our childrens home

Social source share

surely none of us passionate record collectors have bought records as an investment.

as a couple we have sold off some of the collection, some doubles and some simply because they were no longer to our taste.

at the end of the day, the money spent on records would only have been spent on clothes/shoes/holidays/flash car etc, and no-one would ask the question "who you leaving your clothes too then - or will you sell them all and spend the money on butterscotch?"

we do have an unwritten understanding though, that if it was a case of losing the house or keeping the records - the records would go - as would everything else necessary to keep ours and our childrens home

Spot on kirsty could'nt agree more.will be hanging on to mine for a few more year to come

Steve.

Social source share

Bought most of mine from 1968 to 1996 never as an investment it was cause i liked them But im glad i got them when i did they have been turned out to be good investment i would have only pissed the money up the wall.. they will have to go eventually. dreading the day the Aeroplane Song appears on Ebay cause it went to Brownie in 1999 for £700 some one will pay a fortune for that now

Social source share

How would you insure that the records didnt end up in a junk shop, in say 30 years time (not saying you've only got thirty years left in you Gene, i'd say a good 31years left yet laugh.gif but you know what i mean) and selling for a fiver a piece? surley you would like them to go onto some one who would get as much joy out of them as you did, be it any siblings or selling them on as a inheritance for siblings ect.

Very good point Baz.

As far as my soul records go, I've advised my wife to consult a key soul dealer (no name mentioned) to sell them either for 50% profit, or commission, in case I kicked the bucket first. Hopefully, by the time I go, there will still be a collector's market!

As far as my other records go, it would be such a shame to see them end up in a house clearance. I'd prefer my family (particularly my nephews) to go through them first, taking what they want, hopefully sussing what's rare and what's not!

Social source share

Bought all mine since '85 so don't have the "really big ticket" items. Do however have some of value, I have 1300 + 7" and about 500 12" and LP's, even with an average value of £10 still a hefty sum.

I have never sold a single thing, done a few trades along the way, and regretted every one of them, not for not liking the records i traded for, but regretting not having the ones i had anymore, if thak makes sense laugh.gif

In summay, there's a spread sheet somewhere and wifey (who has limited interest in the genre) has a couple of contact names who i trust to giver her a fair deal on.

But i'm only 40 so buggered if anyone's getting them for another 40 years :shhh:

Social source share

Interesting point, I know of a couple of collections coming up for sale very soon and I think when people see who is selling up and what they are selling, it could trigger a bit of a stock market style 'melt down' i.e. people trying to off load thier big ticket items before other can do, as there are only a few 'big money buyers' around in reality.

Couldn't do us a favour and gee 'em up a bit could you? :shhh:

Sooner the arse falls out of this collecting malarkey the better. laugh.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Interesting point, I know of a couple of collections coming up for sale very soon and I think when people see who is selling up and what they are selling, it could trigger a bit of a stock market style 'melt down' i.e. people trying to off load thier big ticket items before other can do, as there are only a few 'big money buyers' around in reality.

I hope there is a melt down cos I've got a helluva long wants list! laugh.gif The cheaper the better please.

Social source share

YEAH huh.gif

THAT'S MY SENTIMENTS TOO .

ONLY PROB IS I AIN'T GETTIN ANY DJ BOOKIN'S YET :(

NEV

So you are buying records just to DJ, but you are going to sell them coz you aint getting any spots..... the first part of the sentence might tell you why!! You would probably be easier just buying an Abba collection, you would get to dj weekly then at weddings etc :( .

I sold about 0.01% of my collection about 10 years ago due to my disillusionment with the scene, they were by far the rarest bits and could probably have bought myself a new house with todays values of them, however although still have most of collection find myself regretting the sales almost as much as enjoying what I have kept. So no wont sell anymore unless as people say severe financial difficulties then it is a bit of a no brainer. However I never bought just to DJ etc or for value, bought because I love the sound coming out of them, and still do although rarely vinyl these days, therefore the thought of selling something I love seems more than a little bizarre!!

Yours reflectively

Jock

Social source share

I hope there is a melt down cos I've got a helluva long wants list! :shades: The cheaper the better please.

[/

Agreed :thumbsup: The sooner the better. Can't wait till the bottle starts going among the "investors".

I couldn't give a shit if my collection went from being worth X grand to being worthless in financial terms, I will always appreciate them for what they are in my perception. So selling them is not on the cards for me unless, like everyone else, some catastrophe forced it.

I don't feel my records "owe" me anything in cash terms, as Kirsty says earlier on this thread, the money would have been blown anyway, so spending it on records leaves something tangible, rather than memories of bigger hangovers and dated Stone Island jackets.

It's a bit of a different story for those who have put massive amounts of cash into their collections, I would imagine many of them will have an "exit" plan. Hopefully these collections will cause a drop in prices and some serious rarities will be available at knock down prices, although I doubt it very much.

It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out over the next decade. Will there be lots of collections for sale to a shrinking pool of collectors? Will new people start collecting who are willing to delve into a bottomless cash pit to pay the top prices?

The posts about selling up when DJing stops are bizarre. I only go to a couple of soul nights a year these days and I almost never play spots anymore, but I still love the records for what they are. Everytime I take a record like Cecil Washington out of it's sleeve it still fills me with awe as much as the first time I saw it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!