Bobby Womack - Invitation?

Can anyone shed any further light on the song 'Invitation'? I have a Rolling Stones 'unofficial' LP  of alternate takes during the recording process of 'Dirty Work'. Amongst the 7 tracks is a near 16 minute Jam of a song called 'Invitation'. Featuring Bobby Womack on vocal with additional ( and unnecessary ) vocal by Jagger is it nonetheless a superbly soulful offering. Many years ago I sent a clip of the song to Rod Dearlove who proclaimed it as one of the most soulful songs he'd ever heard.According to the sleeve notes it was recorded between July-Nov 1985 at RPM sudio/Right track NYC.Also rumoured to involve Don Covay.

this is only a 9 min clip and i can't upload my clip from the album but you get the idea.It certainly seems to me to be a song/work in progress i'm guessing written/co written by Womack.I can't find a released version or anything related to it. I know of Bobbys immense talent but surely its too good to have been made up on the spur of the moment..and Jagger merely echoes the Womack lead.The session may have included Sly Stone, and more probably Chuck Leavell on keyboards.Would be interested to hear comment on the song itself and also any further info related to its recording.TIA.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't add a great deal other than Bobby had a long standing connection with the Rolling Stones - he wrote stuff for them. I think he also performed as a session guitarist/vocalist on some of their tours. 

A truly wonderful artist - I think he's my all time favourite.

Peter

Social source share

Besides that there is no real mystery I guess. As explained in that little story The Stones always surrounded themselves with fellow musicians for inspiration and Bobby was a longtime friend, very close with Ronnie Wood. And Bobby liked to hang around sessions and ether play music or talk about it, endlessly. I once sat in at an interview with some friends in 2011 where Bobby talked for about six hours straight! He also played us some amazingly great new music, over flat TV speakers, haha, that was never issued. They were definitely finished recordings... Shortly after came that dreadful Albarn produced LP...

Here's some info of what might one day still see the light:

https://www.bobbywomack.com/bio.html

His daughter GinaRe hopefully has access to those great recordings of which several have slipped out on the web by the way.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

again thanks..the real question i'm asking is - was Invitation a song that existed in any format (work in progress/part recorded?) or was made up during that jam session? I ve had it on the RS LP 'Invitation' since about 87 and find it still a haunting song..

Social source share

Plus, for those interested, I have plenty more rare Womack stuff. Like the Your Navy Presents 2LP, an amazing late 60's, early 70's 'live in the studio' recording. Amongst my very fave BW recordings ever...

Edited by loofer
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!